New car first drive

Mg5man

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
20210611_212154.jpg

A good result. I can see from the speedo that you have just bought the car and not yet re-zeroed the trip counter. So, assuming it was fully charged when you collected it, if you add you trip mileage (121miles) to your GOM estimated mileage (93miles) you get 214miles which means you are well on track to getting the predicted manufacturers mileage (214miles). If you set KERS to 3 and use Economy setting instead of Normal setting, you'll do better still. I have often seen combined GOM+trip mileages of 235+ miles which even includes judicious use of the aircon (i.e I allow the aircon to be switched on when the wife has been complaining for over 10minutes). I would say, though that the aircon makes less difference to the electron consumption than I thought it would - almost negligible in fact.

For anyone who is as an@l as me about trying to maximise range, I would recommend re-zeroing the accumulated trip mileage each time the battery is fully charged, Then as illustrated above you can keep an eye on how you are doing by adding the actual trip mileage to the GOM reading. Always check it with the aircon/heating off as this affects the instantaneous GOM reading quite significantly.

A good result. I can see from the speedo that you have just bought the car and not yet re-zeroed the trip counter. So, assuming it was fully charged when you collected it, if you add you trip mileage (121miles) to your GOM estimated mileage (93miles) you get 214miles which means you are well on track to getting the predicted manufacturers mileage (214miles). If you set KERS to 3 and use Economy setting instead of Normal setting, you'll do better still. I have often seen combined GOM+trip mileages of 235+ miles which even includes judicious use of the aircon (i.e I allow the aircon to be switched on when the wife has been complaining for over 10minutes). I would say, though that the aircon makes less difference to the electron consumption than I thought it would - almost negligible in fact.

For anyone who is as an@l as me about trying to maximise range, I would recommend re-zeroing the accumulated trip mileage each time the battery is fully charged, Then as illustrated above you can keep an eye on how you are doing by adding the actual trip mileage to the GOM reading. Always check it with the aircon/heating off as this affects the instantaneous GOM reading quite significantly.
I don't think the GOM has any relevance when calculating actual range. The most accurate calculation is to divide the distance covered by the proportion of the battery used. In this case 120 miles divided by (94% - 41%) 0.53 equates to 226 miles total range. With the caveat that it would require similar driving in similar conditions to achieve that.

I don't think the GOM has any relevance when calculating actual range. The most accurate calculation is to divide the distance covered by the proportion of the battery used. In this case 120 miles divided by (94% - 41%) 0.53 equates to 226 miles total range. With the caveat that it would require similar driving in similar conditions to achieve that.
It's more or less the same thing. The GOM has to get it's estimation from somewhere (i.e. percent battery charge) and it will estimate a remaining mileage from that. It's easier to add these two numbers together (i.e.GOM+acual) as you're driving along than it is to work out percentages as you're driving along. But you can only do it from a full charge.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom