New car, new owners, old problems!

BeardedZs

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Happy new year, everyone. Finally allowed to post after changing my email from Microsoft to Gmail so this is a sorry of hello.
We got our ex-demonstrator ZS Trophy LR a around a month ago and think it's a great car. Bigger than we are used to and a lot more "intelligent" - our other car is a 1991 MX5! The app may be basic but the scheduling of charging seems to work ok and the car has now been to Taunton and back to Truro twice, 125 miles each way, topping-up for half an hour each time before the return trip. Simple. The m/kWh is 3.8 so we are happy enough.
The only problem, started after 1 week, left side doors won't open from inside! New locks have been ordered so we'll see....

Last edited:
Yep, thanks, tried that. Sadly no good. We took it back to the dealer an 5 hours later they agreed, you can't get out of your on the passenger side😅. They've ordered new locks, though it could be a long wait......

A little strange that the common internal door locking / release problem was not picked up by the dealer, if it’s a X demo model ?.
Surely somebody would have picked up on the issue, when taking a test drive ??.
Many owners have had the same problem.
A close relative had the same issue on the N/S/F and R door on his car on collection day.
Both locks have been replaced .

It is weird. We used it for at least a week before it started. When I first phoned the Dealer, Hawkins in Blackwater, the rep tried to tell me it might be a new safety feature! 😂

It is weird. We used it for at least a week before it started. When I first phoned the Dealer, Hawkins in Blackwater, the rep tried to tell me it might be a new safety feature! 😂
He is right in a way, but has his wires totally crossed !.
It’s a massive safety feature if you are unable to leave the car in an emergency that’s for sure ‼️.

Happy new year, everyone. Finally allowed to post after changing my email from Microsoft to Gmail so this is a sorry of hello.
We got our ex-demonstrator ZS Trophy LR a around a month ago and think it's a great car. Bigger than we are used to and a lot more "intelligent" - our other car is a 1991 MX5! The app may be basic but the scheduling of charging seems to work ok and the car has now been to Taunton and back to Truro twice, 125 miles each way, topping-up for half an hour each time before the return trip. Simple. The m/kWh is 3.8 so we are happy enough.
The only problem, started after 1 week, left side doors won't open from inside! New locks have been ordered so we'll see....
This a definite fault. Got my car in April and it had the same issue with front passenger door. I could open it most times when I leant across from the drivers side and double pulled the handle but it was a lot more difficult from the passenger seat. Garage ordered and replaced front mechanism within two weeks.

This a definite fault. Got my car in April and it had the same issue with front passenger door. I could open it most times when I leant across from the drivers side and double pulled the handle but it was a lot more difficult from the passenger seat. Garage ordered and replaced front mechanism within two weeks.
Our dealer has ordered 2 new locks but warned us they may take a while... Planning to phone them tomorrow and try to get an eta.

I phoned the service department today, they couldn't give me any idea of an eta....... Guess I wasn't surprised. It's not a major inconvenience but it is an annoyance in a new car!

I phoned the service department today, they couldn't give me any idea of an eta....... Guess I wasn't surprised. It's not a major inconvenience but it is an annoyance in a new car!
The parts department at the dealership can offer very little visibility of spare parts.
I experienced this a while back waiting for about 4 weeks, for two parts to arrive from China for our previous ZS EV.
If parts are on a "back order" list then simple, they are coming from China.
I called into the parts department of my local dealer after about one week of them ordering the parts and they explained just how frustrating their ordering system can be.
They can request a rough ETA by phone or e.mail.
One of the guy's actually offered to call while I was standing there.
He said :- "I will try, but they rarely answer the phone" ( who ever they are ? ).
But to his great surprise, somebody actually picked up the phone on that occasion !.
He was given ETA's on both parts, one part DID arrive on the date given, but the second part slipped back yet another week.
Stock levels of spare parts held in the U.K. has not kept pace with the increase in MG sales that's 100% for sure.
This situation is just not limited to MG though.
Wait times on spare parts affect other manufactures also.
Matt from "Go Green Auto's" on YouTube has been waiting 8 months for body panels to arrive for his damaged Tesla model S.
Still no sign of the parts and the cost has risen by £5,000 for the job.
The insurance company has pulled the plug on the repair due to long wait times and price.
Car insurance companies have given this as only one reason why premiums have shot up recently.
But I truly feel that insurance companies are now writing off cars with minimum to light damage WAY to readily these days TBH.
Then selling on the cars via CoPart etc cheaply and then pushing up the price of renewals.
CoPart are constantly expanding in size but are bursting at the seems with all of these cars and making good money selling them on very quickly.
Many of these cars are repaired and then back in use in a very short time frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all that. Insurance premiums for electric cars are ridiculously high at the moment, even given their higher price. Once things settle downa bit they may come down, though the instant torque may attract go-faster drivers.....

Much to my surprise I've just had a call- the locks have arrived and it's booked in for next Wednesday! 🤞

Much to my surprise I've just had a call- the locks have arrived and it's booked in for next Wednesday! 🤞
Brilliant news great result.
I would consider doing the Lotto on Saturday, you must be on a winning streak 🤣.
The locks must have been in stock in the U.K. to get them that quickly.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom