New Car Pickup

SteveP

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Ok so I’m going to throw this out there now as I need as much information and time to digest all the knowledge that members of this forum have. I pickup my new MGZSEV Exclusive on Monday 14th and with my wife will be driving 280 miles to our holiday destination in Essex, I don’t know if I am brave or stupid. I have checked my route via ABRP and to be fair it’s the same route that I normally use but with the addition of a scheduled stop for a top up at the new M6 service station at Rugby (I can post a video if anyone would be interested) but what I need to know is what to switch on and switch off lol I’ve told my wife we will be using open windows and sunroof instead of the aircon but as a total newbie in the world of all things electric I am at a loss as to what would be the best options to use as driving mode etc. Here’s hoping everyone can give me as much information as possible. Thanks in anticipation

Ok so I’m going to throw this out there now as I need as much information and time to digest all the knowledge that members of this forum have. I pickup my new MGZSEV Exclusive on Monday 14th and with my wife will be driving 280 miles to our holiday destination in Essex, I don’t know if I am brave or stupid. I have checked my route via ABRP and to be fair it’s the same route that I normally use but with the addition of a scheduled stop for a top up at the new M6 service station at Rugby (I can post a video if anyone would be interested) but what I need to know is what to switch on and switch off lol I’ve told my wife we will be using open windows and sunroof instead of the aircon but as a total newbie in the world of all things electric I am at a loss as to what would be the best options to use as driving mode etc. Here’s hoping everyone can give me as much information as possible. Thanks in anticipation
The new Rugby Moto service station just before the M1/A14 junction is brilliant with numerous chargers and very informative displays. From there the relatively new Gridserve station near Braintree Essex is easily reached in a ZS ( about 108 miles) and is dedicated to EV charging with even more selection of chargers. So if your home is within 150 miles of Rugby there should be no need to worry about what's switched on or off assuming you start with a full charge. Top up to 80% or more at Rugby and then again at Braintree if that's convenient no worries. Enjoy your trip and I think you are brave not stupid as with the higher temperatures we have now it's well within the capabilities of a ZS. Good luck and we look forward to hearing your report.

Hi Steve,
Congratulations on the new car. 280miles is probably just out of range for one stop, unless the service station is right on 140/150 miles. In decent weather I would aim for 150miles for the first leg and see how much you can put in at the first stop. Rapid chargers can sometimes (not always) slow down after 80% so you might want to look at how much it has slowed, and if it seems like its going to take 30mins for the last 20% I would push on to a stop nearer your destination. If you're not in a rush fill it right up.

The car is pretty noisy on the motorway with the sunroof open, like all cars really. I tend to have the cold air on for a bit and then turn it off until I need it again.

I always drive in Eco Mode with regen 3 on, though on the motorway I switch it to regen 1. If the motorway route is pretty flat I generally use ACC, but switch it off if I think I can gain some regen on hills.

Enjoy the journey. It's a great car to drive.
cheers
Nick

The new Rugby Moto service station just before the M1/A14 junction is brilliant with numerous chargers and very informative displays. From there the relatively new Gridserve station near Braintree Essex is easily reached in a ZS ( about 108 miles) and is dedicated to EV charging with even more selection of chargers. So if your home is within 150 miles of Rugby there should be no need to worry about what's switched on or off assuming you start with a full charge. Top up to 80% or more at Rugby and then again at Braintree if that's convenient no worries. Enjoy your trip and I think you are brave not stupid as with the higher temperatures we have now it's well within the capabilities of a ZS. Good luck and we look forward to hearing your report.
I live in Merseyside so bit of a run and we drive past Braintree by about 10 miles so we were going to have a look there as well just for future information and another video but thanks and fingers crossed

At motorway speeds even with no heating or cooling you’ll struggle to get 150miles range even in warm weather. You’ll need to keep your speed 60 and below. As a general rule if you try to keep power usage on the gauge to max 20% you’ll get the best range. I personally would plan on 120mile range from fully charged and a 3 stop strategy for a 280mile trip. Especially as the car is new to you. Have fun they’re a nice car to do a trip in 🙂

Hi Steve,
Congratulations on the new car. 280miles is probably just out of range for one stop, unless the service station is right on 140/150 miles. In decent weather I would aim for 150miles for the first leg and see how much you can put in at the first stop. Rapid chargers can sometimes (not always) slow down after 80% so you might want to look at how much it has slowed, and if it seems like its going to take 30mins for the last 20% I would push on to a stop nearer your destination. If you're not in a rush fill it right up.

The car is pretty noisy on the motorway with the sunroof open, like all cars really. I tend to have the cold air on for a bit and then turn it off until I need it again.

I always drive in Eco Mode with regen 3 on, though on the motorway I switch it to regen 1. If the motorway route is pretty flat I generally use ACC, but switch it off if I think I can gain some regen on hills.

Enjoy the journey. It's a great car to drive.
cheers
Nick
From my house to Rugby is 128 miles according to ABRP I should be down to 21% so a recharge to 80% should take 23 mins then another 140 miles to my destination leaving me with 11% and recharge when I’m there.
So I can switch to different modes while I’m moving no need to stop? what is the difference with the modes 1, 2 and 3 and best times to use them?
Thanks for all your help. 👍

I live in Merseyside so bit of a run and we drive past Braintree by about 10 miles so we were going to have a look there as well just for future information and another video but thanks and fingers crossed
Merseyside to Rugby is only about 130+ miles so unless you drive like you've stolen it and achieve 4+ m/kWh you should manage that comfortably in these warmer conditions. I did the reverse trip from Braintree to Rugby just a couple of weeks ago in much colder conditions keeping up with traffic on M11 and A14. I left Braintree with 85% arriving Rugby with 18% about 3.9 m/kWh. Braintree is certainly worth a look if you will be that close even if you only put a dribble in to get to your destination. Sounds like you have already planned well by using ABRP which will also give alternatives if you need a plan B. Enjoy your holiday and the delights of EV driving.

At motorway speeds even with no heating or cooling you’ll struggle to get 150miles range even in warm weather. You’ll need to keep your speed 60 and below. As a general rule if you try to keep power usage on the gauge to max 20% you’ll get the best range. I personally would plan on 120mile range from fully charged and a 3 stop strategy for a 280mile trip. Especially as the car is new to you. Have fun they’re a nice car to do a trip in 🙂
Thanks I’m really looking forward to it, my wife not so 😂😂😂 maybe a stop at Braintree on the way there is advisable then. Again thanks for all your help.

Merseyside to Rugby is only about 130+ miles so unless you drive like you've stolen it and achieve 4+ m/kWh you should manage that comfortably in these warmer conditions. I did the reverse trip from Braintree to Rugby just a couple of weeks ago in much colder conditions keeping up with traffic on M11 and A14. I left Braintree with 85% arriving Rugby with 18% about 3.9 m/kWh. Braintree is certainly worth a look if you will be that close even if you only put a dribble in to get to your destination. Sounds like you have already planned well by using ABRP which will also give alternatives if you need a plan B. Enjoy your holiday and the delights of EV driving.
Did you keep your speed down around the 60 mark also? And yes judging by what you and @Cocijo said a 3 stop strategy will be the way to go. Thanks for all your help 👍

Did you keep your speed down around the 60 mark also? And yes judging by what you and @Cocijo said a 3 stop strategy will be the way to go. Thanks for all your help 👍
I did the 108 miles in 2hr12mins so averaged 49mph overall but where possible up to 70mph. Dual carriageway/motorway was between 60 and 70 depending on traffic density. Smooth operation of the pedals, anticipation and keeping momentum as much as possible is my style. I hardly ever use the brake and treat the accelerator like a Scalextric control. Everybody has their own opinion and I'm sure you will soon develop your own style the more you drive and experiment for yourself rather than emulate others. FWIW I use Normal and Regen 3 all the time and relax whilst I enjoy each trip.

I did the 108 miles in 2hr12mins so averaged 49mph overall but where possible up to 70mph. Dual carriageway/motorway was between 60 and 70 depending on traffic density. Smooth operation of the pedals, anticipation and keeping momentum as much as possible is my style. I hardly ever use the brake and treat the accelerator like a Scalextric control. Everybody has their own opinion and I'm sure you will soon develop your own style the more you drive and experiment for yourself rather than emulate others. FWIW I use Normal and Regen 3 all the time and relax whilst I enjoy each trip.
Nice one thanks 👍

I will be doing my regular 155 mile trip to Norfolk tomorrow.....(for me) speed is definitely the key. I never exceed 60 and try for less. Regen 3, Economy mode, sunroof / windows cracked open, minimum use of ACC.

I will be doing my regular 155 mile trip to Norfolk tomorrow.....(for me) speed is definitely the key. I never exceed 60 and try for less. Regen 3, Economy mode, sunroof / windows cracked open, minimum use of ACC.
When it’s a regular trip that you have conducted before, then you feel more relaxed 😌.
I guess you have a plan B should you get diverted for some strange reason.
This happened to us a couple of weeks ago.
Heading for a destination in a very rural area to visit a garden centre.
Not one, but two diversions in an area we where very unfamiliar with.
When down to about 60 miles remaining and not having a clue where we going, I quickly deceived to pull over into a country lay-by and then used the Sat Nav to firstly request a route back to our home address.
At the same time reaching for my phone to try and locate a charger if the route home was out of range.
The phone signal strength was not that great either, so I was a little concerned at this point.
Luckily enough, the strange division route back home was about 49 miles away from our present location, according to the Sat Nav !.
We made it home with out any HVAC running which was a little hard work because it started raining heavily and the car was misting up from time to time.
Quick blasts of the HVAC was the order of the day !.

Also, as it's your first time, always plan to stop where there are 2 or 3 chargers nearby. Your Rugby stop will be fine as there are multiple units, but the normal Rapid charge experience can be a bit dodgy. Either turning up to find someone has just started charging and have to wait 40min or it not working at all. Have a backup nearby.

Also plan the first stop to be your longest leg. You need to maximise range from a 100% full charge at the start of your journey, than the 80/90% from a rapid charger.

Sorry to be negative/worrisome. Once you've used it for a few months it's very straightforward - just a new way of thinking.

I've found running the blower without AC is plenty cool enough most of the time, unless there's zero cloud cover (but still give the AC a wee blast every few weeks or so, just to keep everything healthy in the system). Tilting the sunroof, or cracking the windows also works well. Once you're a bit more confident in the abilities of the car, you can start to treat it more like a regular car, and worry less about keeping consumption as low as possible.

One thing I would say everyone should do at least once, but maybe not when you're on holiday, is run it below the appearance of the flashing yellow battery warning. Having a feel for how far you can go on that final 15% helps confidence no end once you start driving it more.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom