New car troubles - MG4

Elizabeth S

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi,

I was looking for some advice. Just over a week ago I got a new MG 4 trophy.
I have enjoying it but wanted some advice on a couple of things.
Firstly how do I permanently disable the lane assist.
Secondly, not sure if this a software problem. Multiple my car keeps coming up with multiple warnings. Saying things like Hill hold currently unavailable, stability control fault, traction auto hold fault. Etc… They then stay on the dashboard as a yellow icon. There is also a yellow warning ⚠️ sign.
Can anyone advise.

Many thanks
Elizabeth

Attachments

• IMG_8457.jpeg
    IMG_8457.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 165
I can't answer your first question . On is probably is the default setting . My last car was the same I just switched it off when I started the car and after a while muscle memory took over .
The second issue could be a low 12Volt battery . At a week old I would be popping it back to the dealer

Thanks for getting back to me. I’ll try, not easy getting hold of the dealer. I have since found it’s difficult to turn off the lane assistance. It’s a default think related the NACP safety score they have been given. If you could turn it off permanently apparently the safety score would be reduced. Safer having it off if you ask me.

You can't permanently disable lane assist. Multiple threads about this in the MG4 sub-forum. It's related to the new requirements for safety certification. Practically everyone has a routine of turning it off when they first sit in the car.

The yellow warnings you keep getting sound like variations on the "autohold fault" warning a lot of people seem to experience when they first get their new car (I sure did) but it then goes away. It seems to be related either to pressing the brake to get the car in "Ready" too soon after you first sat in the car, in a hurry to get away, or to doing things in the wrong order when you first get in.

The funny thing is, it seems to go away anyway. I'm pretty sure I still press the brake before the infotainment screen has booted up sometimes (it seems to be fast some days and slow on others) but I haven't seen the fault in ages. Get into a routine of getting in and letting the screens boot up before you press the brake (and start turning off LKA etc) and this will probably fix it, but it may go away on its own anyway.

Here is the main thread in the MG4 subforum discussing the LKA issues. It's still active.

And do come over to join the rest of us MG4 owners in our little ghetto, and post a pic of your car in the "Show us yours" thread. Everyone is very friendly. Except Bowfer, but he was sold a lemon and is understandably pissed off about it.

:cool:

I hope Elizabeth comes back. She seems to have read a partial reply from a non-MG4 owner while I was writing a more detailed reply, taken that as the answer, and gone away. She could learn a lot more if she stayed around.

Although LKA can't be permanently turned off, it can be set to low sensitivity and stays set to low when the car is restarted. Mine's much better since I set it to low sensitivity.

I'll need to check again - I'm sure mine resets to Moderate each time. Then again mine's an SE not a Trophy. :)

I don't frankly care. I don't want my car taking control of the steering from me. If I'm sterring erratically I need to pull over for a break. Maybe the thing might have a use if I'm on a well-marked road where it's not going to go wrong, and I can't pull over until I get to a service station.

If you need that thing, you shouldn't be driving.

I don't frankly care. I don't want my car taking control of the steering from me. If I'm sterring erratically I need to pull over for a break. Maybe the thing might have a use if I'm on a well-marked road where it's not going to go wrong, and I can't pull over until I get to a service station.

If you need that thing, you shouldn't be driving.
What's even more annoying is that it resets to Alert and Emergency assist and not the middle setting of alert and assist. I think this is the reason it's so violent.

Although LKA can't be permanently turned off, it can be set to low sensitivity and stays set to low when the car is restarted. Mine's much better since I set it to low sensitivity.
I've set mine to alert only, no vibration, low sensitivity.
As everyone else it defaults to on when you get in etc, but retains the other settings when you switch to alert only.

Is there a way to turn off road sign recognition permanently ? Or is that same as LKA ?

Seems to be the same as LKA. I wouldn't mind if it was reliable, but it lies to you. It picks up irrelevant signs, such as a 20 mph sign at the entrance to a side road you just passed, or the 40 mph sign that applies only to HGVs, and then flashes that at you until it meets something else. In the case of the HGV sign that was about 20 miles. After that, it went off every time. Hardly any more trouble when I'm turning off LKA anyway.

I've set mine to alert only, no vibration, low sensitivity.
As everyone else it defaults to on when you get in etc, but retains the other settings when you switch to alert only.

I don't care. It still has to be switched to something when you get in the car, so you might as well switch it off completely for all the good it will ever do you.

Except Bowfer, but he was sold a lemon and is understandably pissed off about it.

Oi, I resemble that remark.
I’m not grumpy, I just don’t like ‘war and peace’ posts 😜

Anyway, wait until you hear about me getting a letter from the police yesterday saying ‘my’ MG4 was being driven last week with no insurance….
Yeah, the car that hasn’t had my handsome buttocks grace it since 18/3….

Oi, I resemble that remark.
I’m not grumpy, I just don’t like ‘war and peace’ posts 😜

Anyway, wait until you hear about me getting a letter from the police yesterday saying ‘my’ MG4 was being driven last week with no insurance….
Yeah, the car that hasn’t had my handsome buttocks grace it since 18/3….

I'm all ears. This is a saga worthy of its own Netflix series.

I'd dearly love to know where your MG is now, who is driving it, and how fast it's letting them go.

I'm all ears. This is a saga worthy of its own Netflix series.

I'd dearly love to know where your MG is now, who is driving it, and how fast it's letting them go.

Well I will hold my hands up and admit to a little bit of naivety on my part, in that I was stupid enough to assume that once they confirmed the car was rejected they would take care of telling DVLA it was theirs now and not mine.
Nope….

The car is with Parks of Brechin, SP72 ZXA.
They swear they only drove the car once to test a possible fix and it was on trade plates.
I didn’t ask if it fixed the issue TBH.

I still get the occasional text from a very long number telling me stuff is happening to the car (photo below)

It haunts me and taunts me. 😢

Attachments

• IMG_4558.png
    IMG_4558.png
    376.7 KB · Views: 107
When my car was declared an insurance write-off I had to fill in some form for the DVLA to tell them I had transferred the car "to the motor trade". Presumably the same for a rejection?

Well I will hold my hands up and admit to a little bit of naivety on my part, in that I was stupid enough to assume that once they confirmed the car was rejected they would take care of telling DVLA it was theirs now and not mine.
Nope….

The car is with Parks of Brechin, SP72 ZXA.
They swear they only drove the car once to test a possible fix and it was on trade plates.
I didn’t ask if it fixed the issue TBH.

I still get the occasional text from a very long number telling me stuff is happening to the car (photo below)

It haunts me and taunts me. 😢

You have to keep in touch with it because we have to know what happens!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back