New LED light-bar fitted!

TassiedEVil

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
After a year of ownership and grumbling about the inadequate illumination from ZS headlights, we finally got a small LED light bar
fitted last week. We had tried changing globes, but it still wasn’t adequate for night driving conditions down here with things
bouncing and wandering onto the road. Much improved for not too much money - win/win :giggle:

PS - Damn! Just found the same light bar from same shop at 25% off…:cautious:
56D3D372-6D0D-4636-9BCB-9406912DA743.jpeg
B5C08A38-9F73-4AD0-BDCE-7BC1852C7B03.jpeg

Last edited:
I suspect it would be regarded as a "Spotlight" from a UK vehicle legislation point of view and if memory serves correctly Spotlights can be only used in adverse weather and shouldn't be able to make the vehicle appear to oncoming traffic to be narrower than it really is. For example, a single spotlight on a car or van may make it appear to be a motorbike as would a single headlight. The ICE version of the ZS does have TWO low-level spotlights whereas the EV has two dummy vents. I've often considered fitting a par of those from the ICE ZS to my EV ZS but was told that they couldn't be fitted but still can't see why not. But if I were to fit LED Light-Bar I'd be inclined to fit two (half size) Light-Bars and have one on either side.

I suspect it would be regarded as a "Spotlight" from a UK vehicle legislation point of view and if memory serves correctly Spotlights can be only used in adverse weather and shouldn't be able to make the vehicle appear to oncoming traffic to be narrower than it really is. For example, a single spotlight on a car or van may make it appear to be a motorbike as would a single headlight. The ICE version of the ZS does have TWO low-level spotlights whereas the EV has two dummy vents. I've often considered fitting a par of those from the ICE ZS to my EV ZS but was told that they couldn't be fitted but still can't see why not. But if I were to fit LED Light-Bar I'd be inclined to fit two (half size) Light-Bars and have one on either side.
Very interesting. It’s been connected to the high beam switch, so no problems regarding car appearing as narrower due to the headlights also being on At the same time. The auto dipping feature is fantastic- haven’t had it on a car before but it’s very handy and prevents blinding oncoming traffic. Does also react to some reflectors on signs, markers etc but we’ve generally found it to be pretty accurate.
yea, I’ve also wondered why the low level spots (fog lights I think they would be called here) aren’t on the EV. Anyone know why they can’t be fitted? Is there something in the way?? Bit of a shame really.

The road rules for light bars differ from state to state and are needlessly confusing, although most states now allow a single (non paired) light bar.

I had one on my ZS EV on a numberplate mount with a bar on top, although when transferring rego to NSW was told that it's illegal, so I bought two smaller lights which I've put in the lower vents below the number plate, although even there they don't fit without cutting into the plastic and drilling them into the panel below, so it's more of a permanent solution.

The road rules for light bars differ from state to state and are needlessly confusing, although most states now allow a single (non paired) light bar.

I had one on my ZS EV on a numberplate mount with a bar on top, although when transferring rego to NSW was told that it's illegal, so I bought two smaller lights which I've put in the lower vents below the number plate, although even there they don't fit without cutting into the plastic and drilling them into the panel below, so it's more of a permanent solution.
Yay! Another Australian MGEV owner! Welcome:)
I was wondering about that. I agree that the different state rules are frustrating! I remember that in NSW the annual roadworthy certification keeps owners on their toes concerning legal accessories which is probably a good thing.
I would be interested in a photo of your lights - all helpful for others considering similar modification.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom