New longer range MG5

StEvnut

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Heard yesterday about upgrades to the MG5. Looks like a nee front end - more modern EV style. Biggest change is the range which is quoted as 250m useable. And 100kwh charging.
I wonder what else? Maybe adaptive cruise, and a few nice options like electric passenger seat, sun roof etc..
My wish list would include softer touch plastics, bigger screen with updated software including pre-setting charge times and percentages, cab pre-conditioning and remote control by phone app!
and a change from the rather outdated glossy black surrounds.
maybe I’m asking too much without really hiking the price to a higher sector.
Oh and I’d love them to do something about the torque steer. AWD maybe with a rear wheel bias and a smaller front motor for economy in towns and up to speed.
I wonder how they’ve achieved the extra range? Higher density batteries or just bigger ( plenty of space under the rear seat from below).
All that said I’m actually very pleased with my 5, fantastic value, and does everything it says on the tin..

Heard yesterday about upgrades to the MG5. Looks like a nee front end - more modern EV style. Biggest change is the range which is quoted as 250m useable. And 100kwh charging.
I wonder what else? Maybe adaptive cruise, and a few nice options like electric passenger seat, sun roof etc..
My wish list would include softer touch plastics, bigger screen with updated software including pre-setting charge times and percentages, cab pre-conditioning and remote control by phone app!
Oh and I’d love them to do something about the torque steer. AWD maybe with a rear wheel bias and a smaller front motor for economy in towns and up to speed.
I wonder how they’ve achieved the extra range? Higher density batteries or just bigger ( plenty of space under the rear seat from below).
All that said I’m actually very pleased with my 5, fantastic value, and does everything it says on the tin..

There are no changes to the body styling on the new MG5 long range…your not confusing the EU facelift version are you? We are not getting that version in the UK…yet. The UK MG5 long range improvements are basically 250 mile range due to a 61.1 kWh battery, MG Pilot & 75 kg load rated roof bars.

I am ever so slightly disappointed that the LR model update has come so soon -- I love our MG5, but the one thing I would change about it is give it a 20% longer range. 🙂

However, I think this bodes well for the future. When the time comes to retire our other car (which is powered by dead dinosaurs) in a few years, I would love to be able to replace it with a 300 mile range MG5 Mk 2 LR or something like that.

Last edited:
But does the EU facelift include Ireland, who drive on the same side as us?
Yes Ireland are part of the EU and will get the facelift version, was originally due for October but I read end of the year…be interesting how easy it would be to buy one in Ireland and bring it straight to the UK 🤔👍🏻

Yes Ireland are part of the EU and will get the facelift version, was originally due for October but I read end of the year…be interesting how easy it would be to buy one in Ireland and bring it straight to the UK 🤔👍🏻
If there is a RHD version for Ireland, what's there to stop us buying it and bringing to UK?

If there is a RHD version for Ireland, what's there to stop us buying it and bringing to UK?
In theory nothing but I’ve never bought a car abroad, the currency conversion € to £ may well mean it costs a lot more in £, import duties maybe. I’d be very intrigued to know what it would cost and if anyone is willing to do it…I don’t think many would…?

Eyons ago whilst we were still in the EU, friends bought in Eire and it was cheaper than UK, not sure how Brexit has affected it though there are special rules for Eire.

It should be cheaper as pound is stronger

Nice to know that MG are improving their product and I'm sure they have done that. However I am really pleased with my 5ev it does all I need including 178 miles with 20% charge left in the battery and it was £2200 cheaper than I can get the New model.

Eyons ago whilst we were still in the EU, friends bought in Eire and it was cheaper than UK, not sure how Brexit has affected it though there are special rules for Eire.

It should be cheaper as pound is stronger
Shame the face lift isn’t coming to the UK. I’ll bet it’s not worth the effort and additional cost to import from Ireland. Definitely not worth it just for the facelift. I’m waiting for the Marvel R!!! Let’s see what the next 12 months brings. EVs are evolving so fast - can’t keep buying nee cars🥴🥴

May not be 100% same but this is the facelift Rowei, which the current 5 was based on

First time I've had a chance to see the back end properly, it's not that different which is good. A few upgraded toys inside and I really like the under storage on the centre console.

May not be 100% same but this is the facelift Rowei, which the current 5 was based on

Great car - superb value. Really like the new look front end, what a shame it isn’t available in the UK - Yet. Who knows, there maybe a change of heart or future plans or maybe they’re using up the parts bins on us???

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom