New MG 5 arriving soon - Any useful tweaks/tips/life hacks I should know about?

I say that but when we went to Norfolk in a near 150-160 mile round trip we were averaging around the 50mph mark too! Having said that the roads really didnā€™t lend themselves to speeds much faster than that anyway šŸ˜Š

The other RFIDs are for other operators chargers. The app/website is supposed to work but it may not. Same with any contactless readers on the chargers
So I added my payment method with CPS and still no luck at the machines. Still haven't tried the granny charger yet but I need to do a long journey at the end of the week and really need to be able to use public chargers! Quite frustrating now!

You need to know whether it's the chargers, the payment systems, the car or you...
Trying the granny charger might give you a clue.
Just tried it. All working so that's a relief. Will try CPS one again at lunchtime. The issue is if that doesn't work, most chargers in Scotland are CPS so that will greatly reduce my out and about charging options! Still troubleshooting so I'll get there! Just a bit annoying!

Just tried it. All working so that's a relief. Will try CPS one again at lunchtime. The issue is if that doesn't work, most chargers in Scotland are CPS so that will greatly reduce my out and about charging options! Still troubleshooting so I'll get there! Just a bit annoying!
It must be... We used the granny charger for a few weeks until our charger was installed. Worked fine, but I've since discovered that there was a potential risk using my outside socket.
Best of luck :)

Try a rapid charger other than cps like instavolt etc. It is a known issue with these and mg4's that they can have a fault that prevents them from rapid charging in which case you will need to take the car back to the dealership. You really need to get on something other than cps to know for sure.

I remember reading people having problems with charging but I don't really recall many going back to the dealer for fixing.

Any idea what the fault is and how it's fixed?

Try a rapid charger other than cps like instavolt etc. It is a known issue with these and mg4's that they can have a fault that prevents them from rapid charging in which case you will need to take the car back to the dealership. You really need to get on something other than cps to know for sure.
Any reason I'm only getting 7kwh at a 22kwh charger? This something to do with AC vs DC or my cars charging capacity?

Any reason I'm only getting 7kwh at a 22kwh charger? This something to do with AC vs DC or my cars charging capacity?
I think that someone said that a 22kw charger is provided on three phase, and MGs can only handle a single phase - hence the 7kw limit. DC chargers will do better.

You need to make sure you have the right cable. The one MG gave me was only for 7kwh.
I go this cable and now get the possible max 11kwh (well 9.89 to be exact) when charging on a 22 kwh charger.

Amazon product ASIN B09MTG9D7Y

I
You need to make sure you have the right cable. The one MG gave me was only for 7kwh.
I go this cable and now get the possible max 11kwh (well 9.89 to be exact) when charging on a 22 kwh charger.

Amazon product ASIN B09MTG9D7Y
Guess in that instance, it's whether it's worth forking out Ā£145 for an extra 2 and a bit kwh. If we got the full 22kwh it'd maybe be justified.

I

Guess in that instance, it's whether it's worth forking out Ā£145 for an extra 2 and a bit kwh. If we got the full 22kwh it'd maybe be justified.

Keep in mind 7 kwh tends to be lower than that. I forget what it was.

It almost cut my charge time in half so I think it was worth it. Now charges 20% per hour.

Which considering I rely 100% on public charging is key to me.

But I guess it will depend on how often you use 22kwh chargers.

There is also cheaper cables out there if you shop around :)

Keep in mind 7 kwh tends to be lower than that. I forget what it was.

It almost cut my charge time in half so I think it was worth it. Now charges 20% per hour.

Which considering I rely 100% on public charging is key to me.

But I guess it will depend on how often you use 22kwh chargers.

There is also cheaper cables out there if you shop around :)
Still havent got any rapid chargers (50+kwh) chargers to work so tempted to just get a better cable for the sub 22kwh ones.

So there is no cable out there that will actually throughput the full 22kwh?
There are lots of cables that will throughput 22kW, unfortunately the car isn't designed for and doesn't have the hardware for that much. 11kW is your best.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom