New MG ZS LR initial frustrations

My car is in the garage on Monday for a software re-install to try to cure the 'binding/activate certificate/parameters not correct' problem. I'll report the revised software build number. On Wednesday I'm due to have a towbar installed. Witter offered to do a necessary software update for towing at a cost fo £70. I said no. I'm hoping the garage might do that for me as a courtesy. We'll see.
Would be very interested to hear how the towbar install goes. Which towbar did you go for? The software update sounds optional on the witter web site and would like to know what the update does.

Would be very interested to hear how the towbar install goes. Which towbar did you go for? The software update sounds optional on the witter web site and would like to know what the update does.
I went for the Witter detachable swan neck. £652 + £25 mobile fitter. After nearly completing my order on line then backing out they sent me a £25 off voucher so that's the fitter covered. I wonder if the software update is even more optional if the tow hook is detachable. (Even more so for me as I am not capable of reversing with the trailer hooked up). I didn't choose Witter for the software update on the basis that their local fitter might never have had to do an update on an MG. Has anyone else used Witter for this service? The dealer might also be learning as they go but at least they have an open line to MG.

Brilliant idea, thanks
One bit of advice if you get Schrader valve extensions, get the shortest ones that work for you and fit and leave them on. They will wear the threads on the tyre valves if you take them on and off regularly.

My home smart charger supplier asked me to tell them the telematics of the MG refresh so they can make the charger talk to the car.
Ooh. That sounds like you're connecting to someone technical; that sounds promising.

It's hard to tell what they want from your description. Perhaps you could paste a snippet from what they emailed you?

I suspect that they want to know the model number of the telematics ECU. Probably a photo of one from a refresh ZS EV would be perfect.

To give you an idea, here is the Telematics box from what appears to be a ZS EV from the Netherlands:

Tbox_NL_CAR sm.jpg

And a closeup of the label:

Tbox_NL_CAR label.jpg

But the Telematics unit in the refresh model may well be different. So I think you'd have to find this unit in your new car and take a photo. I'm sure the Missus will be fine with that :oops: From poor memory, I think it's in the glove box, but maybe I'm remembering that from the equivalent box in the Nissan Leaf. Sorry, I can't find any more information; it's still a fairly new model.

It's also possible that they can tell what they need just from the firmware version number. If so, then IF the unofficial Thai app works in the refresh model, and someone has a suitable OBD2 dongle and Android phone to run it on, then they could get to a screen like this:

TBOX firmware version2.png

This is a firmware version number for either a Thai, Indian, or European MG ZS EV, pre refresh. Over at the left are the names for the various ECUs (there are over 20), and half scrolled off is the word "TBOX"; this seems to be the name for the pre-refresh telematics unit.

They might also be after the PID (Parameter ID) of the Telematics ECU. On the pre-refresh model, this was 0x711. There is a fairly good chance that this is the same on the refresh model.

Hopefully, this will progress the conversation with your home smart charger supplier, at least part of the way.

Just a quick suggestion - if you’ve already got some Makita kit, their tyre pump is very compact and handy. Does everything from push bikes to lorries 😁
I bought the Makita pump, what a simple but awesome piece of kit.
Thanks I can now re-home a bike pump, a foot pump and two x 12v DC pumps.

I did notice the pressure readings the car gets from the TPM valves are higher than the Makita. Hopefully the Makita has been calibrated but I might take it a public air point and just double check.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom