New noise - interesting

Bodgerx

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
The 51kwh ZS went for its first year service at an independent dealer a few days ago (lease company decision, not mine).

Interesting, they decided to change the brake fluid, and change the cabin air filter despite that not being the first service schedule.

When it came back, I have a new noise. When turning the car on, and whilst driving it, despite turning the AC on or off, I have what sounds like a motor running constantly. From inside the car it almost sounds like an ICE engine. I've never hear this before. It's low fairly loud thrum.

Opening the bonnet, the noise is coming from the right of the engine bay towards the windscreen. Confidently, or not, that's the area in which there appears to be a pump near the brake fluid reservoir.

Anyone else experiencing this?

No, but I believe that is where the noise generator is located, that is supposed to make a "car" noise. Could the garage have turned up the volume on that I wonder?

No, but I believe that is where the noise generator is located, that is supposed to make a "car" noise. Could the garage have turned up the volume on that I wonder?
It doesn’t sound like that. Unless the noise generator sound like a motor or pump under load…

the noise is coming from the right of the engine bay towards the windscreen. Confidently, or not, that's the area in which there appears to be a pump near the brake fluid reservoir.
I'm wondering if it's the brake vacuum pump. Maybe they left off or disturbed a vacuum pipe?

Are your brakes harder than normal, when coming to a complete stop or at very low speed? You may not be getting brake assist.

I'm wondering if it's the brake vacuum pump. Maybe they left off or disturbed a vacuum pipe?

Are your brakes harder than normal, when coming to a complete stop or at very low speed? You may not be getting brake assist.
They seem ok, but I’m always running on level 3 regen, and to be honest I don’t think I’ve hit them that hard since this started happening.

I’ll try and see if I can try and isolate the noise a bit more. Probably best to get it back in to check anyway.

You might have air in the brake system which is why the brake vacuum pump is continually running. Return the car to the dealer who changed brake fluid (which probably didn't need changing anyway!).

The 51kwh ZS went for its first year service at an independent dealer a few days ago (lease company decision, not mine).

Interesting, they decided to change the brake fluid, and change the cabin air filter despite that not being the first service schedule.

When it came back, I have a new noise. When turning the car on, and whilst driving it, despite turning the AC on or off, I have what sounds like a motor running constantly. From inside the car it almost sounds like an ICE engine. I've never hear this before. It's low fairly loud thrum.

Opening the bonnet, the noise is coming from the right of the engine bay towards the windscreen. Confidently, or not, that's the area in which there appears to be a pump near the brake fluid reservoir.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Take out the cabin filter and check for leaves in the fan?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom