New owner of used model, a little flummoxed!

allancoblu

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all, my partner has just purchased a 22 Trophy and coming from a 2005 petrol RAV, she's experiencing a bit of a steep learning curve.
The major one was its first roadside charge this morning using a BP Pulse charger, in 45 minutes its charged 7%, a long way from the expected 80% in an hour, is that normal?
Minor issues are the Sat Nav doesn't update from its initial starting position. Drove to Gatwick last night and though she knew the way, she put in the destination, set off and the cursor never moved off the initial road.
Other weird one, is the USB C sockets don't seem to have any current reaching them, phones don't charge. Strange to have these issues on a one year old car, maybe the previous driver just didn't use the Sat Nav and chargers?
Or maybe the car is a lemon?!

Attachments

• PXL_20230818_095348773.jpg
    PXL_20230818_095348773.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 81
I would suggest the BP Pulse charging station was at fault . I've used BP Pulse chargers on my MG5 ( pre facelift so probably the same charging system as yours ) mostly getting close to the advertised charging speeds . What was the state of charge when she began the charge ? If it was already over 80% it would charge slowly .
Probably best ,as it seems to be a relatively new purchase , to take it to the dealer and check it out

Hi all, my partner has just purchased a 22 Trophy and coming from a 2005 petrol RAV, she's experiencing a bit of a steep learning curve.
The major one was its first roadside charge this morning using a BP Pulse charger, in 45 minutes its charged 7%, a long way from the expected 80% in an hour, is that normal?
Minor issues are the Sat Nav doesn't update from its initial starting position. Drove to Gatwick last night and though she knew the way, she put in the destination, set off and the cursor never moved off the initial road.
Other weird one, is the USB C sockets don't seem to have any current reaching them, phones don't charge. Strange to have these issues on a one year old car, maybe the previous driver just didn't use the Sat Nav and chargers?
Or maybe the car is a lemon?!
I used the BP Pulse at LGW, all went well, would it be possible that you only used a Type 2 connector, not CCS? Type 2 is 6.5kW max, CCS 140+ kW. I used CCS at GridServe Norwich a couple of days ago, 23% to 83% in about 22 minutes. The sockets are very similar except CCS has two DC pins at the bottom that you need to remove the rain cover from.

There are threads to turn off the dead reckoning on the sat nav and then reboot to solve your problem. Agree with Maskull about the charging.

Here you go, well done n2sty,
video how to do it

Brill!
Yep she used the non CCS socket, so one down.
I'll check the video about dead reckoning.
Any thoughts about the non charging USB sockets?

Sat Nav sorted, but that's thrown up another query!
Normal USB does charge and with my phone brings up Android Auto, so that's something else to play with, and I'll check the fuses too.
Back to the Sat Nav, does it auto update with traffic, road closures etc?
At the moment journey time to Bath has arrival at 15.45, whilst Google shows loads of traffic and crashes, with an arrival time at 17.05, exactly the same route, or could it be that MG's have preferential lanes😂
Really appreciate the replies, I'll download the handbook shortly so I can check other queries with that too

Just browsed the forums pages and can see it doesn't update. I have an old 2008 Toyota who's original Sat Nav updates as did my ex's Jag.
Worries about the Chinese spying??

Live traffic for the sat nav is only available on Trophy Connect, AFAIK. The map data is only updated once in a blue moon, also (and you have to do it over USB).

I would recommend to use Android Auto.

Brill!
there’s a high percentage the leads are faulty. I’ve had loads of issues with cheap cable chargers. It’s worth buying a decent one

Brill!
That will be it. Classic noob mistake made by many - labelling really needs to be clearer on a lot of chargers.

The big plug with the extra two large DC pins is the one to use for rapid charging.

Brill!
I've found the USB-C port to charge but very very slowly, not great considering it's supposed to be fast. Make sure the usb cable itself is higher quality as this can make a difference.

I've used a couple of my original Google Pixel USB C cables in the front and rear sockets, neither work. Normal USB works fine, so it's frustrating trying to find out what the cause is as I don't think the C usb's have a separate fuse.
I think the car will have a visit to MG soon as it looks like there's a headlight issue that needs looking at (mentioned elsewhere) so I'll get them to look at the USB sockets too.
Other than that the car is great to drive and we're currently in Cornwall, a bit of a baptism of fire with finding working and fast chargers, my partner said getting here was probably like taking a new born baby abroad on a plane, the day after it comes out of hospital😂

I will be using fast chargers in 2 weeks for the first time, I will just go with the flow and hope nothing happens. I have the latest update so hopefully no issues lol

I will be using fast chargers in 2 weeks for the first time, I will just go with the flow and hope nothing happens. I have the latest update so hopefully no issues lol
If you can, try to go to a GridServ location. Multiple chargers and staff to help you lose your fast charge virginity. Sometimes, on your first visit, they also give you a free charge, especially if you play dumb, tell them it’s your first time, you are clueless and need help. They really are good for all my irreverence.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom