New owner To Be

Mikalosh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi just introducing myself, I have ordered a new MG ZS EV, I did a lot of research before deciding on the car, and there seemed to be a lot of positivity and then the MG5 came around and that looked like the car I was going to get and was very excited to road test when it was possible. I got a phone call from the dealer to say that they had a ZS and a MG5 in for me to compare. I was very pleased with both especially at the quality of both cars but, what decided it for me was getting in and out of the car, me and my wife are both in our 60's my wife as had a serious leg injury a few years back now but is still a problem . Getting out of the ZS was a dream compared with the MG5 or our present car for that matter. So its something worth considering when you are purchasing a car and not something that comes to mind straight away. Apologies for going on :)

We went for the ZS for similar reasons. Had a people carrier for 17 years which was pretty high off the ground and a dream to ge in and out of. Kids grown up and left home so it became impractical, especially in cities. My wife struggles with movement so the ZS fitted the bill perfectly.

Enjoy.

I’ve been recovering from a broken leg for the last three months so haven’t driven the ZS much till now. I drove into town today and what a joy to drive and I found it so easy to get out with my crutches in hand. Also used MG Pilot for the first time, what fun!

Hi just introducing myself, I have ordered a new MG ZS EV, I did a lot of research before deciding on the car, and there seemed to be a lot of positivity and then the MG5 came around and that looked like the car I was going to get and was very excited to road test when it was possible. I got a phone call from the dealer to say that they had a ZS and a MG5 in for me to compare. I was very pleased with both especially at the quality of both cars but, what decided it for me was getting in and out of the car, me and my wife are both in our 60's my wife as had a serious leg injury a few years back now but is still a problem . Getting out of the ZS was a dream compared with the MG5 or our present car for that matter. So its something worth considering when you are purchasing a car and not something that comes to mind straight away. Apologies for going on :)
@Mikalosh
Congratulations on your ZS EV purchase. It is a good car for the family young or old and especially where high mileage is not an issue. Comfortable for day to day use in all aspects. Enjoy.

@Mikalosh
Congratulations on your ZS EV purchase. It is a good car for the family young or old and especially where high mileage is not an issue. Comfortable for day to day use in all aspects. Enjoy.

Hi yes another factor of course was the fact that we very rarely do more than 30 miles a day, so I am even thinking about not even fitting a home charger and just using the Granny charger

Hi yes another factor of course was the fact that we very rarely do more than 30 miles a day, so I am even thinking about not even fitting a home charger and just using the Granny charger
@Mikalosh,
There are members who have experience of no home charger situation and will be more qualified to advice on this issue. From my point of view, there is absolutely no reason why you would not manage on the 3pin charger if your mileage is limited and you are prepared to charge overnight regularly. But a programmable home charger will allow you to benefit from low cost night tariff. I believe some members had their units fixed free of charge by MG so if you are on a similar deal then there is nothing to lose in getting a home charger anyway.

We don't have off street parking where we live, so we didn't get a fast charger fitted. I have used the 3pin plug with a decent extension and cable protector across the street, only really charging once a week for the small journeys we do during the week or longer journeys to see family at weekends. Works fine. As it takes all night the timing of the tariff doesn't really come into it

We have 6/7 ubitricity lamppost chargers within 30secs drive plus some Source london electric bays in the next street in case I need to a quicker charge. There are even some random rapid street chargers within a mile.

I think you just find what works for you.

I think that could be a good call. If you needed a fast charge for any reason you could always use a local one,
I've only used my home charger 3 times, once when it was first installed to make sure it worked and twice the evenings before going on days out to the coast.
For my day to day use I just nip into the local Tescos now and top up for a couple of hours on their free 7 kWh ones while I go for some breakfast and do a bit of shopping. (y)

@Kithmo thats well cheeky! I love it.
A true Yorkshireman doesn't let owt fer nowt pass him by. ;)

Tight wad.jpeg

Congrats. How do you find the carrying capacity ie boot compared with the 2. I was going to get the 5 but they did not have one in stock and looked at the zs. Could not resist the current sept offer so collecting mine tomorrow. :)

We don't have off street parking where we live, so we didn't get a fast charger fitted. I have used the 3pin plug with a decent extension and cable protector across the street, only really charging once a week for the small journeys we do during the week or longer journeys to see family at weekends. Works fine. As it takes all night the timing of the tariff doesn't really come into it
[...]
Still-deciding-possible-pre-owner Dave here :
I'm in the same position. Have you had any comeback from neighbours or your local council about running even a protected cable across the pavement (if that's what you have to do?).
I have applied to the council for a lamp post charger which happens to be outside the house but these will only be 3.5kWh anyway, and our council are not painting the road as it's 'shared residents' parking'. There is one already about 100yards up the street, but it's always blocked by ICEs or a Tesla! 😤

Councils take different views on running cables across pavement (even under able cover) - some do encourge it whilst others do not.

I suppose if you use a cable cover you are doing your best to mitigate any trip hazard so are doing everything you can reasonably do.

@teepee Thanks for your reply. If it’s of interest to anyone here also in my area, I recently received this back from the city council.
We understand that not all areas will be covered and have plans to close gaps as best possible in forthcoming waves of charger installs. We will be applying for further funding from the Office of Low Emission Vehicles within the next month [This was March 2020 - Dave] to secure a similar rollout for the coming year and in addition to more lamp column chargers, we are planning to supplement the growing charger network with Fast chargers. [My italics - Dave]

Brighton and Hove City Council does not have any guidance on cable protection for its residents. It’s possible you have seen this information on the Electric Brighton website, which we work closely with but is not part of the council.

The councils strategy for EV users without off street parking is to put in a request for a nearby lamp column charger.

As far as trailing cables across the public highway is concerned this is something we do not condone and is done at the users own risk.
😬

"........... we do not condone and is done at the users own risk"

So if you use a good cable protector you should be OK.

I love my ZS, I have two kids (teenage) and they are comfortable in the back although we did take a friend yesterday and the back bench was a bit of squash. This i suppose is no different to any small family size car. I enjoy the higher position whilst driving for the better view.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom