New to EV's ( '21 MK1 MG ZS EV Exclusive)

Smokeysworld

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I appreciate there are a few 'new here' posts but wanted to ask questions for definitive answers in my personal case if people don't mind!

1. I hear there is an update that allows you to see both distance AND battery percentage in pressing the colsole button. Is this true? And if mine doesn't, can I take it to my local MG dealer for a free update?
I guess this is a good time to ask what version I should be on too?

2. I have a wall charger in my garage. Will I need to go out before bed to turn off the charger (as the battery will be charged) or can I trip the breaker in hall cupboard out of convenience? Or is this unsafe?

3. I live in a rural area. I cannot get a smart meter installed due to no network signal. This has been tested twice recently.
Are there any companies that I can get in Scotland that will give me a low overnight rate without a high say rate that will cancel it out? And will they provide that despite not having a smart meter as the ones I asked, said no!

Thank you and there will probably be more questions when I collect the car this week!

Item 2, once the car reaches 100% the charge rate drops while the car carries out a battery balance then it will turn off the EVSE charge point.
Are you able to set a timer on the car or EVSE?

Item 2, once the car reaches 100% the charge rate drops while the car carries out a battery balance then it will turn off the EVSE charge point.
Are you able to set a timer on the car or EVSE?
Thanks for the reply. I haven't collected the car yet so won't know until then if there is a timer. I will investigate the charge point in the garage and see if it had a timer.

It’s a Gen 1 model I believe so no means of setting a delayed charge time in the car.
Poor network signal so no smart meter, the charger could be dumb or smart but without sufficient signal, I am unsure if timed charging is possible ???.
Many energy companies will not offer you a “off peak rate” unless you have a smart meter installed, so that’s a problem.
Maybe enquire about a dual rate meter ?.
This is similar to the older economy 7 type meters.
This maybe a back route to having a cheaper off peak rate.
Off peak rates are much cheaper in the early hours, but the day rate is higher than a standard tariff in most cases.
It depends on how much usage you can load shift into that off peak rate to make it a viable option.
If you intend to use your EV a lot, then it maybe worth looking into.
If you have an older type dumb wall box, it could be adapted to carry out some type of controlled delay charge after some modification ??.
Manually charging from a A/C wall box will give you roughly about 25 miles of extra range, for each hour it spends on charge.
No - turning it off at the breaker in the CU ( fuse box ) is not really ideal TBH.
No - the Gen 1 does not have a remaining percentage read out, you just have a GOM readout of the estimated range remaining.

Is it a dumb or smart unit ??.
It's hard to tell. Google seems to thing it has gprs but I can't find a qr code or serial number on the charger that I can link. And there's no options on the machine for connecting. So I will say dumb?

Attachments

• P_20230619_211531.jpg
    P_20230619_211531.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 52
  • P_20230619_211559.jpg
    P_20230619_211559.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 54
  • P_20230619_211543.jpg
    P_20230619_211543.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 50
That looks like a good old dumb Rolec (like mine!). Neither the car nor the charger is going to enable you to set a timed charge.
Regarding item 2: just plug it in when you get home and unplug it before you leave. There's no safety issue with leaving it plugged in once the charge is complete.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom