DIY

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi, we collected our 2022 ZS EV Trophy on Friday. Handover from garage and a couple of issues since have tainted the experience slightly.
  • Car still bound to previous owner
  • No charging cable in car
  • car only at 40% on collection (promised 100%)
  • Warranty voided as no servicing had been carried out (11k miles but 18 months old)
  • Annoying clicking sound can be heard inside car, dashboard area. Sensor?
  • Android Auto is very erratic. Went through 4 cables before buying a new one for it to start working but still disengages randomly.

In the plus side, it’s a nice place to be while driving, MG have hopefully sorted the binding issue and the garage provided a loan cable while they buy a new one from MG and will pay the cost of a top up charge from a local fast charger. Garage also provided a 4 year RAC warranty package free of charge to offset the voided MG warranty.

So, anyone help with the clicking noise to close out my issue list?

Hello and welcome to the forum. If you click on the search button top right and type in clicking dashboard, you will find a thread on the subject and some solutions. There are a few causes of clicking noises.

The car is only supplied with the portable EVSE as standard unless on Motobility or the dealer throws one in as part of a deal.

Android Auto is notoriously glitchy with cables so I invested in a wireless adapter which works brilliantly with the phone in my pocket.

I hope you enjoy your car once your problems are sorted. :)

If there’s no warranty and it was sold as having the balance, they need to either take the vehicle back or pay for an equivalent third party warranty

The MG warranty is for 7 years on the HV battery.
Did you get a 'granny' EVSE ?

Sorry, ‘granny’ EVSE?
The granny is the type2 cable with a 3 pin plug which all MG's are normally sold with. The type2 to type2 cable for a destination EVSE is an extra.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, ‘granny’ EVSE?
An EVSE is what many people call a "charger", because it's external equipment that you need to charge your car with Alternating Current (AC). Technically, this is not correct, when AC charging, the charger is in the car. We call that the On Board Charger or OBC. The EVSE (the external box and cables) has no power converting electronics, which is what a charger is. So the EVSE (granny type or a larger version you might find at a shopping centre) is really little more than an extension cord with extra safety features. Some EVSEs are "untethered" (bring your own cable), in which case it's more like a power outlet with extra safety features.

EVs do have a bit of a learning curve, but ICE vehicles did too, you just don't realise that you have an idea what a spark plug, timing belt, and catalytic converter are. EVs have none of those things to worry about or to go wrong.

An EVSE is what many people call a "charger", because it's external equipment that you need to charge your car with Alternating Current (AC). Technically, this is not correct, when AC charging, the charger is in the car. We call that the On Board Charger or OBC. The EVSE (the external box and cables) has no power converting electronics, which is what a charger is. So the EVSE (granny type or a larger version you might find at a shopping centre) is really little more than an extension cord with extra safety features. Some EVSEs are "untethered" (bring your own cable), in which case it's more like a power outlet with extra safety features.

EVs do have a bit of a learning curve, but ICE vehicles did too, you just don't realise that you have an idea what a spark plug, timing belt, and catalytic converter are. EVs have none of those things to worry about or to go wrong.
Or a tank full of highly combustible liquid sitting above a hot exhaust pipe I often wonder if ice cars where invented today imagine the whingers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, no, no granny cable
Are you 100% sure that thee pin plug unit is not stored under the boot floor ?.
If you lift up the board in the boot, you should gain access to what would be the area where the spare wheel would be located.
Where the spare wheel would be situated, there should be a grey foam inlay tray, that contains the so called “Granny” unit etc.
If the three pin plug unit is NOT there.
Then ask the dealer why it is not there ?.
This item is already supplied when the car is brand new and therefore should follow on to the next owner.
If the dealer sold an ICE car and the petrol cap was completely sealed off, then how would the new owner be expected to use the car in the fashion it was designed / intended to be used for ???.
The same applies to the dealer who sold you this car.
With out any method of charging the traction battery on this car, then the car becomes no more than a huge paper weight !.
If they also missed out on providing you with the optional Type 2 charging cable, then how did they expect you to charge the car ?.
In this situation, then the only option is to use one of the compatible D/C rapid charging units, which ca n be expensive.
The previous owner needs to handover the Granny unit and unbind his or her car from the car ASAP.
Did you receive two keys with the car and do they BOTH have the emergency spare blade inside of the key fobs ?.

Hello and welcome to the forum. If you click on the search button top right and type in clicking dashboard, you will find a thread on the subject and some solutions. There are a few causes of clicking noises.

The car is only supplied with the portable EVSE as standard unless on Motobility or the dealer throws one in as part of a deal.

Android Auto is notoriously glitchy with cables so I invested in a wireless adapter which works brilliantly with the phone in my pocket.

Hi Gadget Geek, would you mind telling me which wireless adapter you got?
And hi, DIY. I had to blackmail the dealer into getting a type 2 cable for our ZS. So you did well! 😃

I use this one. There are cheaper ones on AliExpress etc, but it's hit or miss with some of those. This one works well if your phone has a 5G wi-fi connection. I just switch on the car and it connects automatically. I use the * button on the steering wheel as the shortcut to Android Auto.

@Lovemyev - used cars are sold as seen with certain warranty's as specified. There is no warranty that every (or any) accessories that was supplied with the car when new would be included.

I use this one. There are cheaper ones on AliExpress etc, but it's hit or miss with some of those. This one works well if your phone has a 5G wi-fi connection. I just switch on the car and it connects automatically. I use the * button on the steering wheel as the shortcut to Android Auto.
Thanks, Gadget, I'll have a look.

Hi, we collected our 2022 ZS EV Trophy on Friday. Handover from garage and a couple of issues since have tainted the experience slightly.
  • Car still bound to previous owner
  • No charging cable in car
  • car only at 40% on collection (promised 100%)
  • Warranty voided as no servicing had been carried out (11k miles but 18 months old)
  • Annoying clicking sound can be heard inside car, dashboard area. Sensor?
  • Android Auto is very erratic. Went through 4 cables before buying a new one for it to start working but still disengages randomly.

In the plus side, it’s a nice place to be while driving, MG have hopefully sorted the binding issue and the garage provided a loan cable while they buy a new one from MG and will pay the cost of a top up charge from a local fast charger. Garage also provided a 4 year RAC warranty package free of charge to offset the voided MG warranty.

So, anyone help with the clicking noise to close out my issue list?
the annoying clicking sound that can be heard inside car, dashboard area, is probably coming from the steering column

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom