New ZSEV Handbook released

Any chance for review I know I know its just a cable but would be good to know what you tested with it and how it fares under some heavier load
I have already given the cable a very quick test, on our new Trophy.
Just to see how difficult it was to get the car to first recognise it, then distribute the power from the car to the piece of electrical equipment.
I am glad to say, it was very straight forward to use.
I grabbed the first thing to hand, which was a mains powered inspection lamp.
Plugged the hand lamp into the V2L cable, then plugged the V2L type 2 plug into the charge port.
Then entered the car and pressed the START button ( foot off the foot brake ).
As soon as the centre head unit screen came alive, it had detected the cable.
You are now in the charging screen.
There is a "Discharge" option tab on the screen.
Select this and it will display a screen requesting the level of charge you wish to set the HV battery to go to, before it stops providing power via the V2L cable.
It is a slide control, which you are able to change.
The display will give you an indication of how long ( in time ) that the car will provide energy down the cable, until it hits the level you have chosen.
I think it said I could run the hand lamp for 17 hours at my current state of charge on that day.
This did not include the large 30% buffer selected at the low end of the HV battery.
You hit the "Discharge" button and you will hear relay's etc clicking, then after a few seconds the hand lamp bulb came alive !.
I tried it a couple of times and it worked every time.
When I get the opportunity, I would like to try it on a higher load, like a small kettle !.
But I don't see this being a problem to be totally honest.

Thanks. Keep us updated. I can see using it with our fridge and kettle during a power cut so would be good to know if cable can handle for say 10 hours that without overheating

Last edited:
Thanks. Keep us updated. I can see using it with our fridge and kettle during a power cut so would be good to know if cable can handle for say 10 hours that without overheating
Kettle and fridge only draw power for a few minutes at a time, so plenty of time to cool down. I wouldn't try running a one bar electric heater on it for prolonged periods though. :)

Kettle and fridge only draw power for a few minutes at a time, so plenty of time to cool down. I wouldn't try running a one bar electric heater on it for prolonged periods though. :)
The V2L cable used has been rated to take the suggested Max 2.5 Kw’s that can be drawn from the car.
It is a 2.5mm rated cable, this is the same rating as the socket outlet cable in almost every modern home in the U.K.
The old school single one bar electric fire is almost certainly rated at 1 Kw’s.
So, it would power one of these successfully.
The larger the demand, the quicker it will deplete the HV battery of course.
But you can set a lower limit in the head unit, that you DO not wish the HV battery to drop below.

Cable Information

16A 3G2.5mm2+2*0.5mm2 EV Wire (AC) / 15mm Diameter

Last edited:
The V2L cable used has been rated to take the suggested Max 2.5 Kw’s that can be drawn from the car.
It is a 2.5mm rated cable, this is the same rating as the socket outlet cable in almost every modern home in the U.K.
The old school single one bar electric fire is almost certainly rated at 1 Kw’s.
So, it would power one of these successfully.
The larger the demand, the quicker it will deplete the HV battery of course.
But you can set a lower limit in the head unit, that you DO not wish the HV battery to drop below.

Cable Information

16A 3G2.5mm2+2*0.5mm2 EV Wire (AC) / 15mm Diameter
Agreed. However, my comment was about the load over an extended period of time, which would heat the cable due to the resistance of the cable. Not an issue if the correctly rated cable has been used. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom