Newbie here - thanks to all! (and a few questions...)

Tez

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi folks!

I'm the proud owner of a "new" pre-FL LR Excite, registered in Nov 2022 but bought from the dealer with 4 miles on the clock! I've come from a (deep breath) BMW 2 Series Grand Tourer M Sport 220i DCT 7 Auto (!), which was giving me outstanding economy at about 24 MPG ;-). I've got virtually no EV experience (briefly owned a Golf GTE before I was burgled at knifepoint for the keys), and this site has been an exceptional source of info, so thanks to all!

I've only had the MG5 for a couple of days but so far I've noticed:

There are a couple of features the BMW had that the MG doesn't which I miss, but the MG has features the BMW didn't, which I'm loving!
Despite the BMW having quicker 0-60 on paper, the MG seems far nippier. Thought I'd open it up on a quiet road earlier, starting from about 20mph. Got wheel spin & the acceleration shocked me!
MG came with granny charger but no type 2. Thanks to posts on this forum I've ordered one.
Saw some posts RE only one USB working for data, the other just for charging. My left works for Android Auto & a music filled USB stick works in the right one, which is nice.

A few questions, answers to which I haven't managed to find on the forum:

1) Auto Main Beam: If activated in the console, does it just come on automatically, or do I need to turn full beam on manually & wait for the system to turn it off when detecting oncoming? Can't seem to find any mention in the manual.
2) Does anyone have experience of upholstery protection, either pro firms applying or doing it yourself? I've got 4 year old twins.....
3) 12V battery: mine is showing between 14.3 & 12.5, around the middle of the dial, seems to fluctuate quite a bit. Is that normal or is it duff? Would it ever be expected to be above the mid point?

I think that's it for now, this forum has been a gold mine of info! I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future though!

Thanks in advance all, Tez

Hi and welcome to the forum, great choice of car.
I can only comment on item 3, my battery sits at just over 12v in stby mode but in ready will be between 13.8v and 14.1v this is because it is being charged by the HV battery.

Can't help re your points 1 and 2 but regards the Auto main beam, known as Smart Beam in the manual can be found on pages 44/45. It is fully auto, turning on lights when dark enough and switching between main and dipped beam.
I find it works reasonably well but others have had differing experiences.

1693642087033.png

1693642118768.png

Hi and welcome to the forum, great choice of car.
I can only comment on item 3, my battery sits at just over 12v in stby mode but in ready will be between 13.8v and 14.1v this is because it is being charged by the HV battery.
Fab. Many thanks for your reply!

Can't help re your points 1 and 2 but regards the Auto main beam, known as Smart Beam in the manual can be found on pages 44/45. It is fully auto, turning on lights when dark enough and switching between main and dipped beam.
I find it works reasonably well but others have had differing experiences.

View attachment 19950

View attachment 19951
You're a star, thanks! I missed that in the manual...

I too have a pre-FL LR Excite, owned from new, currently on 22k miles ... can honestly say it's the best car I've ever owned ... 0-60 wow ... economy wow - 4.7m per kWh ... relaxing to drive ... I could go on ... ;)

Zero issues for me so far ... probably jinxed it now ... welcome to MG :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom