Newbie to MG

Peterch

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Thanks for allowing me to the MG Forum. I am not new to EVs, i have had two Nissan leaf covering over 100,000 mls over the past 7 years. I am considering "upgrading" to an MG5 long range to enjoy increased range but am a little hestitant as i cant see some of the add ons I currently enjoy such as being able to time heating/aircon system, remote charging etc does the mg5 have these options?

Hi current MG5 doesn’t have an app connectivity so doesn’t work in same way as the Leaf. Think the new ZS long range does and the new MG facelift due back end of 2022 would prob have it too.

I also had a 2017 leaf and it was handy to have the app but also felt it was a bit slow and clunky sometimes.

Thanks for response, I think my charger is old school (had it 7 years!) so probably not very smart. I am more interested in timing the heating to plan frost free in the winter so a timer would be great

The heater is very quick on the MGs defrost and demist takes only 2-3 minutes in ready mode.
The disadvantage of course is it eats a bit of your range, which it wouldn't do if you could pre-heat whilst on charge.

The only thing I shall really miss in moving from the LEAF is pre-heating!

Maybe the text when charging stops & e-pedal, but as I rarely use those anyway.

You can't via an app but I thought you could turn these on manually (by going into the car) whilst the car was still on charge so it didn't detract from your range?
Hi I think your right about that Ozzie, there is a video on YouTube and on here I think somewhere, ( I will try to find it later ) where it shows a chap doing just this very thing to see if the car could be stolen if you left the car unattended but switched on, good news was as long as you did not leave the keys any where near the car you couldn’t, but of course that means going out to the car opening it putting it into the ready mode to do it
So Peterch, no the MG5 does not as yet have an APP like the Leaf but as we know there is a brand new 5 coming in the next year, new front end plus other face lifts, and you can bet your bottom dollar it will come with a similar set up as the recently introduced face lifted MGZs with its iconnect system which does use an APP to do everything you want from what I can see.

Edit 2hrs later found it in this video the guy explains how to do the pre-heating maybe this might answer Peterch questions
Les.

Edit Sorry to say to Peterch welcome to the MGEVs forum
Les

Last edited:
hi
yes this answers the question! on another note how realistic is the range of 250 mls i usually get 3.9mls per kw with my leaf which would mean a range of about 222mls ( a bit disappointing ) can i expect more than 3.9mls per kw out of the MG?

hi
yes this answers the question! on another note how realistic is the range of 250 mls i usually get 3.9mls per kw with my leaf which would mean a range of about 222mls ( a bit disappointing ) can i expect more than 3.9mls per kw out of the MG?
Obviously, it depends how you drive and the outside conditions such as temperature, wind, etc and what ancillaries you are using.

Can't find the MG5 related one (so he's a ZS one with some MG5 posts) - but people are often exceeding 3.9 Miles/kWh

hi
What model/ year Leaf do you have? I am fortunate enough to be getting 4.5 miles per kW on my 2016 30kwh Leaf. It was 5 miles per kW in the summer.
If the MG5 is that good when mine finally arrives I will be happy.

What model/ year Leaf do you have? I am fortunate enough to be getting 4.5 miles per kW on my 2016 30kwh Leaf. It was 5 miles per kW in the summer.
If the MG5 is that good when mine finally arrives I will be happy.
5 miles per kWh will give a range of 285 miles for the MG5LR.

Given that EV Database quote 240 miles for combined (mild weather) and 320 for city (mild weather), it’s plausible you could achieve this given your experience with the Leaf.

I have got 4.0 miles per KW on my LEAF over 3 years summer & winter. I am not a slow driver by any means!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom