• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

I was sent this link regarding extra cables from my MG dealer:
evcableshop.co.uk/mg-ev-charging-cables/ Hope I've got that right! Some were for the MGev5. although I would have thought a cable was a cable was a cable!
You are correct, a cable is a cable is a cable....so long as you choose type 2 to type 2 (AKA just as type2) and 32 amp. Pick your own length and buy it where you find best/easiest/cheapest for you. All quality is probably the same as no doubt covered by some regulation or other.
Just google type 2 cable, there are plenty out there.

You are correct, a cable is a cable is a cable....so long as you choose type 2 to type 2 (AKA just as type2) and 32 amp. Pick your own length and buy it where you find best/easiest/cheapest for you. All quality is probably the same as no doubt covered by some regulation or other.
Just google type 2 cable, there are plenty out there.
But personally I'd avoid one from Wish or Geek!!

Although the prices seem fair the car has an absolutely standard type 2 interface. ANY type 2-type 2 cable will do. Labelling it as compatible to MG specifically is a bit of a con to capture the MG marketplace. My wall charger was supplied for a Leaf and my free cable was lifted from the Leaf before I traded it in, Both work perfectly.

Apart from length about the only variation I have seen is some appear to be rated at 16A. I just hope there is something in the connector spec that identifies it as 16A to the charger.

The cable I got free as part of the peace of mind deal back in July 2020 was not MG branded, just a generic one.
charging cable.jpg

I have the Wallbox Pulsar Plus. Cheap and does scheduled charging on my Octopus Go rate. I just set the scheduled charge and of its plugged in it'll charge and if not it doesn't so i never think or look at the app as once set it's done. I got it under the grant scheme and waited a few weeks.

I also liked it because its small unlike zappi and others... fairly discreet apart from the glowing LED light.
Have you had any issues with it connecting to Bluetooth? Mine was installed a couple of days ago and connection is very hit and miss. Reviews on the Google Play store for the Wallbox App are rubbish which doesn't fill me full of confidence.

Connects every time for me. I don't do anything clever with it mind you, just tweak the charge rates according to the sunshine.

I am wondering if it is my phone that is the problem. Does anyone know if the Wallbox pulsar plus needs to maintain a constant Bluetooth connection in order for a scheduled charge to work? I did manage to connect the other night but as soon as my phone went on standby the connection failed. I can't test it with the car as it still hasn't arrived yet!!

Have you had any issues with it connecting to Bluetooth? Mine was installed a couple of days ago and connection is very hit and miss. Reviews on the Google Play store for the Wallbox App are rubbish which doesn't fill me full of confidence.
Never have a problem with Bluetooth not once. Just have to be within a few meters of the box. But in my house it connects fine.

I am wondering if it is my phone that is the problem. Does anyone know if the Wallbox pulsar plus needs to maintain a constant Bluetooth connection in order for a scheduled charge to work? I did manage to connect the other night but as soon as my phone went on standby the connection failed. I can't test it with the car as it still hasn't arrived yet!!
I would be extremely surprised.

What you have to do though is set the scheduled charge before you plug your car in.

So set the scheduled charge, save it.... then plug your car in. You can leave it then once set and each time you plug in it will charge... its just the first time you set the schedule It cannot be plugged into the car.

Mine works fine if I'm near it over Bluetooth, but connects via my Wi-fi when I'm further away. Have you set up the Wi-fi?

I have a Pulsar Plus too. Bluetooth connectivity is very good but range is short. WiFi connectivity is hit and miss but when it works it's fine too. App is getting better and Wallbox are very quick with replies to their help desk(email). They also are very receptive of feedback and suggestions. To make things easy my schedule is set up for octopus go every day and only becomes active when physically plugged in and padlock button pushed.

Very happy with the Wallbox Pulsar Plus.

Mine works fine if I'm near it over Bluetooth, but connects via my Wi-fi when I'm further away. Have you set up the Wi-fi?
It says connected when I first open the app and there is a Wi-Fi symbol, but then it insists on connecting to Bluetooth and then mostly fails. I have a 3 year old phone that isn't running the latest version of Android so wondering if that is the issue.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom