No apps or cards needed for charging

Marcus

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
[ Edit Moderator: See also this post on auto-charging, and this post in the MG5 forum. However, these options DO require an app. ]

Joined Fastned and setup my account no problem. Then they asked do I want to setup auto charge for the car well that's the future plugin charge unplug drive off just like Tesla.
Didn't think MG did this but fastned obviously do so why not others. Will try this shortly at my nearest fastned chargers ( Bernard castle). Day trip I think.
Screenshot_20231209-191356~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Something similar here.

Auto-charging only works with CCS chargers, not CHAdeMO or AC charging. CCS is capable of transmitting small amounts of data about the specific car itself to the charger (e.g. like a personal identifier for the car). Companies need that in order to be able to auto charge.

Fastned are relatively new and only joined in once CCS was dominant and other protocols like CHAdeMO were already on the way out. Other manufacturers (GridServe, GeniePoint etc) who were in from the start were hedging their bets as to whether the two standards would continue in tandem etc. I imagine there may well be issues as to whether existing charge points from them are capable of receiving the information necessary from the vehicle or if they'd have to retrofit.

I imagine it's also going to become less helpful over the next couple of years. The Public Charge Point Regulations 2023 which came into force earlier this year require all public rapid chargers to be retrofitted with contactless payment methods by 24 November 2024. For most people that will probably be easier (tap, drive off) than the auto pay features which still require you to download an app (such as Fastned), create an account, register your car, enter credit card details to be stored, etc).

By 24 November 2025 the regulations will require all public rapid chargers to be retrofitted to allow payments via third party roaming systems (like Octoverse) although that will still probably require an app.

I think Tesla have the edge because they baked it in right from the start but we're also the only car manufacturer with an extensive "own brand" charging network. That benefit runs through everything with the network, including integration of charge point availability into the sat nav/route planner etc. I have a Tesla and an MG and the difference is night and day in terms of convenience.

The regulations should help that kind of thing going forward and there'll be an inevitable lag as manufacturers slowly build the systems into the cars for the new age of charging networks. But I suspect in the next few years the focus will be on contactless charging rather than "auto" charging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and for what it's worth, the Fastned chargers at Barnard Castle are pretty good. They're the only local rapid chargers to my in-laws so I've used them on a couple of occasions while visiting.

They're in a Lidl car park just outside of town. I had a problem starting a charge a couple of times and had to change stalls but then they worked fine. About a 10 minute walk to Barnard Castle town centre itself if you fancy doing anything other than browsing the Lidl bakery while you charge...

(There's one rapid charger in the Morrisons' car park too in the town centre, but it's always full, is slow and unreliable).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom