No new car smell in dealership

st34

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Went to an mg dealership to look at mg zs ev. I sid not visit any other dealership so have nothing to compare with but ... There is no new car smell in the car shown. Did they kill it or perhaps the vehicle has been sitting in the showroom for a while? The dealership says the car was built in February this year. (It is a version with all bells and whistles, leather seats etc.) Thanks

As far as I know, the seats are ‘pleather’ (I call it vinyl), rather than leather. My car certainly didn’t have the new car smell, which definitely comes from a leather interior. I can’t say I am a fan of the fake stuff on the seats, but it’s supposed to be eco friendly…….

Yes i think it is synthetic leather not real leather. Interesting to know your car did not have the new car smell that is smell of glues, carpets, etc. Perhaps this is the preference of this brand to not have such a smell in new cars..?

I think it may be enviromentally friendly adhesives and cleaning products which contain fewer volatile solvents.

Is there some report on these materials? Across different car brands/makes? Tried to find but the latest was from 2011 and one from 2018 for 1 car only, nothing systematic or comprehensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had 3 new cars and this is the first I'd experienced next to no new car smell.

I'm skeptical about the materials claim.

I had an Ioniq two years ago that was delivered within 10 weeks of the manufacturer date and it had a strong smell.

The MG, despite being a factory order had 7 months pass before manufacture and delivery and came with a faded rear window sticker and no new smell.

These cars stand for a long time for whatever reason.

Amazon sell ‘New car smell’ sprays for a little as £12..

So no matter how old your car, it will smell brand new, even your Ford model T. 🤣👍

The Kona I had previously had a strong new car smell, but I'd had the upholstery treated with the anti stain stuff.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom