No Sound From Radio

dougn

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Firstly, I have checked through the previous posts on the radio.
Like most, I have had the occasional radio problem, which I have always managed to fix. However, not this time. I recently had the flicking screen problem, which I fixed with a reset on the home bottom. However, I then lost the sound on the radio. I can change stations but get no volume( I have looked at the volume settings) I can get the radio through Android Auto.
Any suggestions?

Obvious question - is it actually playing? (Look at the top-left of the Infotainment screen ... do you see double lines || or the play arrow > ?) You have to see the play arrow for there to be any audio - maybe try pressing in (once) the right hand joystick.

Thanks for answering. The top left of screen shows the radio station that is meant to be playing. By prodding in the joy stock it just spins the DAB selection.

Push the joystick north and south for volume and east or west to change stations. Push it centrally to toggle the radio on or off.

I am getting no volume, that is my problem. The volume setting is about 12. I have had various radio problems as we all have, but they normally sort themselves, but not this time. I have booked the car into my dealer but first slot is not for a couple of weeks

I had this happen on my Trophy. It showed the radio was playing and would change stations but no sound. A few days later, after the car had been unused for a couple of days, my 12v battery died and I had to use a booster pack to start it up. When I did this, the radio came back to life and has been fine ever since, as has the 12V battery. So maybe a disconnect of the 12v battery might do the trick?

Thanks for answering. The top left of screen shows the radio station that is meant to be playing. By prodding in the joy stock it just spins the DAB selection.
You appear to have missed the crux of my question, which was ... what is the symbol showing next to the radio station name?

|| = radio is paused
> = radio should be playing

I had this happen on my Trophy. It showed the radio was playing and would change stations but no sound. A few days later, after the car had been unused for a couple of days, my 12v battery died and I had to use a booster pack to start it up. When I did this, the radio came back to life and has been fine ever since, as has the 12V battery. So maybe a disconnect of the 12v battery might do the trick?
Hello Peter, you have exactly the symptoms I have on my mg4 trophy. Its happened to me each month, first the radio goes faulty, unable to change to another station audibly, then the battery (12v) fails after 24/48 hrs. A jump stat by the RAC fixes it, but I know now that it will happen again. MG has simply did a software upgrade twice and sent me back home, to wait for it to happen again, and it does just that! I'd be interested to know if you have any follow up and if it happened again for you? Cheers Richard.

Hello Peter, you have exactly the symptoms I have on my mg4 trophy. Its happened to me each month, first the radio goes faulty, unable to change to another station audibly, then the battery (12v) fails after 24/48 hrs. A jump stat by the RAC fixes it, but I know now that it will happen again. MG has simply did a software upgrade twice and sent me back home, to wait for it to happen again, and it does just that! I'd be interested to know if you have any follow up and if it happened again for you? Cheers Richard.
It's only happened that one time last September, so not as bad as yours. I've not mentioned the incident to the dealer. The car had its first service last October when it had several software updates, so maybe something related was updated? I've no idea! Mind you, I do make sure that my booster pack is charged in case it happens again! Hope you eventually get sorted.

It's only happened that one time last September, so not as bad as yours. I've not mentioned the incident to the dealer. The car had its first service last October when it had several software updates, so maybe something related was updated? I've no idea! Mind you, I do make sure that my booster pack is charged in case it happens again! Hope you eventually get sorted.
Thank you for getting back to me. Appreciated.

Hi got my MG4 long range just after Christmas and played my music on my usb stick and now unable to get the radio to work at all Tried factory reset but that’s now made it worse since lost all radio stations but can still play music on my usb stick

Help what do I need to do to fix it?

I lost the sound from the radio after playing music from my phone via Apple car play. A couple weeks later the battery became discharged and had to access the car by the metal key. AA attended and boosted the battery for a couple of minutes then the car charged the 12v battery AND the radio functioned again.
I had already booked an appointment at the dealers due to the radio malfunction and I never had the outside temperature display either, the discharge of the battery concerned me more. They mentioned that there can be a problem that the radio actually does not turn off even when locking the car and that causes the battery drain. I suppose this may be possible as I hadn’t used the car for a couple of days.
Anyhow the dealer updated the software and all appears ok so far.
By the way I drive an MG4 SE SR

Last edited:
I lost the sound from the radio after playing music from my phone via Apple car play. A couple weeks later the battery became discharged and had to access the car by the metal key. AA attended and boosted the battery for a couple of minutes then the car charged the 12v battery AND the radio functioned again.
I had already booked an appointment at the dealers due to the radio malfunction and I never had the outside temperature display either, the discharge of the battery concerned me more. They mentioned that there can be a problem that the radio actually does not turn off even when locking the car and that causes the battery drain. I suppose this may be possible as I hadn’t used the car for a couple of days.
Anyhow the dealer updated the software and all appears ok so far.
By the way I drive an MG4 SE SR
That's just what happened to my Trophy last year. It's been ok since.

I lost the sound from BT music until I realised I had "do not disturb" turned on on the phone.
homer-doh.jpg

That's as bad as me plugging in Android Auto to try to navigate out of a long stay airport car park at 3 am and cursing because it wasn't getting an internet connection, then realising my phone was still in flight mode.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back