No waiting for the screens

setanta

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So I've discovered that I don't have to wait for the dashboard to finish loading before I can drive off. Now it might be that everyone else already knows this, but it took me by surprise. Now I don't wait the 5 seconds it takes for the dashboard to finish loading, once I feel the power steering is working, about a second after I press start, I select drive and I'm away. Does anybody else do this and is there any risk of damage to the car, it is only software after all.

Is this for the MG4 model ?.
MG5 and ZS EV ‘s require the start button pressing to conclude the full boot up cycle.
All functions powered by the 12 volt system need to be fully booted ideally, before selecting drive and pulling away.
Otherwise you run the risk of the car complaining and throwing up warning message.
MG4 is slightly different in this regard.

Last edited:
I've sometimes started driving off whilst the infotainment screen is still loading. I've also taken my foot off the brake pedal before the "Ready" sign comes up on the dash.

72 plate ZS Trophy LR.

I find if the info unit take the route of carrying out a full reboot on start up ( MG symbol on the screen etc ) this can take a while to fully load.
Normally, the info unit will quickly fully boot straight into the main screen and in the time it takes me to adjust my seating position and fasten my seat belt, will then con-side with seeing the green READY light and hearing the “bong”.
At this point I am now reaching out for the gear sector switch.
The whole process is pretty quick and I have adopted this practice on both Gen1 & Gen2 models, which has now just become a habit.
I can remember on two occasions when I rotated the gear selector a split second before hearing the ready bong and with no ill effects on the cars ability to obey the drive command.
It’s not something I like to do on a regular basis though, just for the sake of waiting an extra few more seconds for really.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom