"Non-essential" car functions not working

kpsandwiches

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, first post here and hoping to find some answers. Like many of us I'm not getting to drive my ZS of four months much these days, other than a couple of shopping trips or moving it up and down the drive to put the bins out.

However, during tonight's exciting bin trip, upon turning the car on... no bongs... no infotainment screen coming on, including reverse camera. Some notifications in the driver panel indicated some emergency breaking assistance functions were disabled. Took it for a run around the block (drove fine!) and no speaker sounds at all, not even for indicator clicks, save for an irregular audio crackle, as though it was trying to start up.

I'd assume it could be the 12v but it's displaying as over 50% full. In Normal I've got 115 miles left.

So I've plugged in the granny charger hoping that sorts it out. In the meantime, can anyone provide any insight so I can understand how to prevent this, or find a fix? I'm not that au fait with EVs... or cars generally really... so apologies in advance if I'm confused by any terminology!

Thank you :)

@ kpsandwiches,
Not sure what this is but will suggest you check your fuse box and if all is ok with the fuse box then you have to send the car in to your dealership especially if the situation recurs.
One can however say that if you were able to start the car and move about then it is unlikely that the issue is the 12BV or the HVB.
Please update on how things work out.

So the problem still hadn't resolved by yesterday morning. I took the car on a lap of the M60 (about 30 miles) to see if it would spark anything into life, still nothing. Tried again once or twice to start up, to no avail, and then called my leaser who hooked me up with the MG breakdown team. They were great and sent someone out practically straight away.

The car's parked on our drive, which is quite narrow, so I ran out to move it into a more accessible spot... and sod's law... everything worked! I cancelled the call-out (they were doubtful it was something fixable by a roadside team anyway).

If it reoccurs I'll certainly be taking it in, but I've got a feeling this can be attributed to the long periods of inactivity and hopefully nothing more serious.

@ kpsandwiches,
Not sure what this is but will suggest you check your fuse box and if all is ok with the fuse box then you have to send the car in to your dealership especially if the situation recurs.
One can however say that if you were able to start the car and move about then it is unlikely that the issue is the 12BV or the HVB.
Please update on how things work out.
@KasEV just a note that when you tag someone, you need to put the @ right next to their name like I did at the start of this sentence. Having a space will not work.
The car's parked on our drive, which is quite narrow, so I ran out to move it into a more accessible spot... and sod's law... everything worked! I cancelled the call-out (they were doubtful it was something fixable by a roadside team anyway).
This is the worst scenario in some ways. Intermittent faults might, by definition, come back, and you then lose trust in your car. Or whatever product.

This is the worst scenario in some ways. Intermittent faults might, by definition, come back, and you then lose trust in your car. Or whatever product.

I agree. Another occurrence and I'll be taking it in. Putting this one down to prolonged inactivity but not great for it to happen at all really.

Ours has pretty much sat on the drive since getting it. So we sat on the drive and tried to get Android Auto working. No luck whatsoever. Any tips?

Yes make sure your using the correct USB lead that actually came with your phone, it’s surprising as I though all USB charging leads were the same, but mine Nokia would work on my Samsung lead, changed the lead to the one which came with the phone and happy days no problems since...

Going from this, from the MG site:

"Make sure your phone is connected to the internet, then pull up the app on your phone. With it open, plug your phone into your car via the USB cable and load the Android AutoTM app on your car. Once you’ve done this, it’ll ask you to connect a new device, then all you’ll need to do is select your smartphone and approve it on your device. You’ll only need to do it once, in future it’ll automatically connect."

How do we load the Android AutoTM app on our car?

You don’t need to load anything on the car. Download the android auto app on your phone and plug it in to the usb lead. Open the app on the phone and then press the android auto link on the infotainment screen, then follow the instructions from there.

Don’t know if this link will help it’s about android auto

Worth watching as whilst it’s a different vehicle the process is the same

We've been unable to get my wife's phone connected so loaded the Android Auto app onto my newer Honor lite and the app doesn't appear anywhere :unsure:. I persisted anyway and managed to get the car and the phone to recognise each other, but the app just seems to run in the background on my phone. The Android Auto Icon on the infotainment screen is now active but when you press it it just beeps.

Before I break a car window banging my head on it, how useful is it when you get it working? :D

Very useful if you use google maps or waze for sat nav also you can use voice commands around the google maps like; whilst driving “Electrical charging points” etc, call “wife or husband” etc

I use Apple car play all the time. Not just for Waze, but making calls via talking to my phone using Siri and playing music on there from internally stored music and Spotify.
It's so worth it that it would make me hesitate to buy a Tesla since they don't support it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom