Non-existent after-sales repair service means I'm going to have to sell

Dick Wolff

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I've decided to get rid of my MG5 as soon as I can get it repaired. I've phoned the local MG dealership and the two separate body repair shops they use a dozen times, and visited them in person, over the last five months (since a minor accident in early September) and they can't even get me a price for a replacement bumper, let alone the actual part. Apparently MG are not listed on the database that insurance companies use to estimate the cost of parts - one of very few companies not on the list. The dealership has proved spectacularly useless and I think are planning to get out of the franchise because it's an after-sales nightmare. I would discourage anyone from considering an MGEV - which is a pity because the car itself is good.

If someone wants to get an MGEV they MUST make sure that their insurance covers the cost of a courtesy car while it's off the road awaiting repairs. I suspect that would push the premium up - but there's no way round it, and the extra premium would have to be factored into the price. What would it have cost me to hire a car for six months? Nine months? Will I actually ever get a repair? Fortunately, in my case the damage didn't prevent me still using the car on the road, but if the crunch had taken a rear light/indicator unit out I don't know what I would have done.

Can anyone at MG tell me what on earth is going on? I know other car manufacturers are having trouble getting hold of parts, but MG have simply blanked me for five months.

Waylands MG? Stories like this are one of the reasons I decided to sell ... :(

Last edited:
I own a FL 5 and in March last year while leaving a supermarket a car ran into the back of me and damaged my bumper (split and cracked). I was insured through Admiral and they instructed me to visit Steer Automotive for an assessment and book a repair, I would need a full rear bumper replacement and respray.
My car was booked for the following week, and a courtesy car was collected from the repair site at the same time as the drop-off. The whole repair from start to finish took 8 days, Steer had no problems obtaining a replacement bumper directly through the MG parts department. The repair and service were superb.

Last edited:
Fascinating. I had a similar reply from someone else a couple of months ago (although they didn't mention Steer). I wasn't going to claim on insurance until I knew what the damage was likely to cost - but as I say, I haven't even got as far as getting an estimate after 5 months. Perhaps it's my MG dealer that's not up to the job.

I've decided to get rid of my MG5 as soon as I can get it repaired. I've phoned the local MG dealership and the two separate body repair shops they use a dozen times, and visited them in person, over the last five months (since a minor accident in early September) and they can't even get me a price for a replacement bumper, let alone the actual part. Apparently MG are not listed on the database that insurance companies use to estimate the cost of parts - one of very few companies not on the list. The dealership has proved spectacularly useless and I think are planning to get out of the franchise because it's an after-sales nightmare. I would discourage anyone from considering an MGEV - which is a pity because the car itself is good.

If someone wants to get an MGEV they MUST make sure that their insurance covers the cost of a courtesy car while it's off the road awaiting repairs. I suspect that would push the premium up - but there's no way round it, and the extra premium would have to be factored into the price. What would it have cost me to hire a car for six months? Nine months? Will I actually ever get a repair? Fortunately, in my case the damage didn't prevent me still using the car on the road, but if the crunch had taken a rear light/indicator unit out I don't know what I would have done.

Can anyone at MG tell me what on earth is going on? I know other car manufacturers are having trouble getting hold of parts, but MG have simply blanked me for five months.
Hi I had a mg5 - now got a mg4 and had a minor scrape in a car park but I needed a new rear door. Car was drivable so I kept it until the parts arrived after 4 weeks then repaired and traded in for a mg4

Hi - how did you get the parts? Through the dealer, or independent body shop? In which case, which company?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom