Non MG Dealer Servicing Risks

The facelift models update over the modem, so no need to visit a service centre.

If im not mistaken, only the Infotainment system updates over the air.

If there is an update, for example for the BMS, it still needs to be done by GM, using their diagnostic and programming equipment.

The facelift models update over the modem, so no need to visit a service centre.
I asked my dealer about OAU and he told me that the regular bug fixes certainly will be OAU delivered but there can be major updates which will still require returning to the dealership for as they could take down the OAU system itself. I guess they are covering themselves and I very much doubt that the MG system is as developed as the Tesla System because Tesla have been doing it since the launch of 'Model S'.

I think it's all been said, but I would agree with the view that you are best taking it to a dealer if you can. Software updates direct from MG as well as the normal service for an EV which is cheaper than ICE anyway, plus another year AA cover. However, sus out your dealer. The one I bought from was at the time new to the franchise and were a bit at 6s and 7s on servicing, they couldn't get the relevant software (the comfort update in this case) from MG to install. I took it to a more established dealer and it was done in less than an hour.

MG don’t have a very good record when it comes to giving a consistent firmware update programme. I think even with the provision of OTA on the facelift cars I will feel better that MG is responsible for application of updates at a dealer rather than come down one morning to find the car bricked. I look forward to a ZS EV LR one day as my Gen1 is great.

To be fair, it seems that a lot of systems might be controlled by the infotainment computer.

Yesterday when i drove my new MG home, it was being a bit silly with the satnav (Besides only speaking very poor English), i was apparantly driving my car in the middle of a field.

Decided that i wanted to try the "reboot" where you hold down the home button for 10 seconds.

When the screen went black, the car panicked and basically told me that all of my assistant systems were now offline.

I hope, this means that all of those systems can be "bugfixed" and "improved" over time, with OTA updates.

But i agree, Chinese manufacturers do not tend to be very generous with software updates.

But then again...The car i had before, had an infotainment system that was made in 2015, they made 5 revisions of firmware for it, and the latest one was from the beginning of 2018, and then they stopped doing updates. (But then again, updates had to be applied at the garage).

They also made a satnav version, released in 2016, and then i 2020, they revised the infotainment, and promptly decided that they would do no more map updates (Sold in 2019, with 2019 maps, and the owners will never be able to buy one single map update for it.....i would be pretty miffed, if i shelled out good money, for a package including satnav, just to be dumped the same year). These updates were also paid updates.

As I said my 1st Annual Service was under £90 and included a year's AA cover and the 2nd was a more major service and cost about £100 extra. Main dealer servicing costs do vary a little and 1st service I found there was another dealer 15 minutes closer, but in the other direction was £30 more expensive but no MG dealer should be charging £300!
Perhaps you misunderstood my post. The service cost was £77.88 (inc vat) the rest was for ferry and overnight stay. No main dealer in Orkney. Like I said main dealers are OK if you have one.

Perhaps you misunderstood my post. The service cost was £77.88 (inc vat) the rest was for ferry and overnight stay. No main dealer in Orkney. Like I said main dealers are OK if you have one.
Nice dirty weekend away and service sounds like this could catch on 😜

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom