Normal tyre wear after 18k miles?

Aberdeenshire

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Finally getting round to rotating my tyres after 18k miles, and the fronts are so far gone they basically need to be replaced. Rears are brand new. Is this typical?
1000022017.jpg
1000022018.jpg
1000022020.jpg
1000022019.jpg

I personally, would be delighted to see 18k miles out of my tyres.
MG5 is FWD and a bit of a porker. (I can talk!)

Those two tyres have done quite literally all the work.
Accelerate, Brake, Turning, blah blah.

Whilst the rears are just along for the ride so to speak.

And to be fair, you still have a couple of k left if you want to go to the TWI.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be happy enough with 18k miles from the fronts.

You have done well at 18k.
I am affraid my fronts did not do much more than 12k miles. But I do most of my travelling on hilly "b" roads.
The KERS and constant change in speed does not help tyre wear. Mind you I was delighted to get rid of the original bridgestones which were useless.

I had mine swapped around at the 1st 15k service.
Just remember the sensors will be in the wrong positions.
Wow that’s really good to know, dealer put new 4 new tyres on mine after I asked to swap them before picking it up, which was a nice bonus, they haven’t lost any pressure yet .

Our ZS EV LR is two years old and covered about 16,500 miles.
It had its 2nd service three weeks ago.
Tyre 🛞 wear was recorded as 5mm remaining on all four tyres.
I expected there to be a slight variation as they have never been rotated.
FWD cars tend to eat front tyres at twice the speed of the rear tyres.
A brand new branded quality tyre, usually has around 7 to 7.5mm of tread when new.
So, I am pretty happy on the longevity so far.

The state of our roads in Aberdeenshire probably doesn’t help either. I got 23k from my original front tyres and changed them in Nov for Verstein winters.

MG5 Exclusive first registered March 2021
In January 2024, I had to have 2 new front tyres at 20,000 miles and I bought 205/60R16 HANKOOK K117 96V XL from Kwik Kit, £247.96 including eco tyre disposal, fitting, etc. I'm told they're longer lasting. They are certainly quieter than those fitted by MG.

Kwik Fit said the (original) rear tyres still have another 10,000 miles on them. Rotating them is a good idea.

James & Kate YouTube video shows their MG5 did 40,000 miles on Davanti tyres 205/60 R16 at about £240 per set. Davanti found 03 Apr 2023 here at £70 on eBay, low noise. £85.50 fitted at Drivers Autocentre. Davanti not found on Kwik Fit site.

I also found Why Tire Companies Love EVs on YouTube.

Added 22/4/24: Another James and Kate YouTube video on their 2021 MG5 120,000 mile MG5 and tyres.

Last edited:
When the time come I intend to fit Hankooks, because of the low noise rating, as they don't seem to compromise on rolling resistance or wet grip. Let us know how they fare.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom