North Coast 500

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I'm planning on doing the North Coast 500 in 2 week's time (end of Aug 2020) in my ZS EV.

It's a 500 mile tour round the north of Scotland, very scenic. very picturesque, that we're doing over 3 days..

I've planned all the stops and factored in 2 overnight stops at Gairloch and Thurso. For most of the route, there seems to be adequate coverage of chargers, but it'll be a bit of a challenge.

My main concern is the first leg (I'm doing it clockwise) is that the Rapid Charger in Torridon seems to be on the blink according to ZapMap.

If it's not working, I may be struggling for range to get to Gairloch!! Nail-biter!! It would mean a 138 mile journey with approx 160 mile range(?), but seriously up hill and down dale for a lot of it!! Not sure how much that will diminish the range expectation, and can see me using heavy KERS coming down the steep descents!!

Anyone done it? Any advice, (other than don't do it!! ) :ROFLMAO:

I'm planning on doing the North Coast 500 in 2 week's time (end of Aug 2020) in my ZS EV.

It's a 500 mile tour round the north of Scotland, very scenic. very picturesque, that we're doing over 3 days..

I've planned all the stops and factored in 2 overnight stops at Gairloch and Thurso. For most of the route, there seems to be adequate coverage of chargers, but it'll be a bit of a challenge.

My main concern is the first leg (I'm doing it clockwise) is that the Rapid Charger in Torridon seems to be on the blink according to ZapMap.

If it's not working, I may be struggling for range to get to Gairloch!! Nail-biter!! It would mean a 138 mile journey with approx 160 mile range(?), but seriously up hill and down dale for a lot of it!! Not sure how much that will diminish the range expectation, and can see me using heavy KERS coming down the steep descents!!

Anyone done it? Any advice, (other than don't do it!! ) :ROFLMAO:

Hi Dave,

Did a trip from Bristol to Mid Scotland today in my MG Zs EV, total of 370 miles and included three stops, each for 40 mins, or there abouts, using the CCS charger (ecotricity). Each section was roughly 100 miles, working on the 70% usage rule and achieving an average of 4.1 miles per kW. Planning is key.

@Dave S,
Your 500mile North Coast Journey is one that I have on my bucket list. Please enjoy and update with your experience.
I will advice you invest in obtaining all weather or waterproof heavy duty power extension cable and appliance box. These are available in B&Q etc quite popular with campers.
What for you may ask?
Acts as a simple fall back package with your 3pin charger when venturing into unknown territory. It has helped a few EV drivers I know, who in the end have had to charge at a friendly pub / guest house or camping site or even just ask a friendly local resident to use a garden plug. The 3pin charger unit goes into the weatherproof appliance box with cables coming out of the box via the protected inlet/outlet then to the extension cable as needed.
Running out of charge that far north is not something to take lightly. Be prepared for all eventualities.

I did the trip this time last year In my MGTF. Sorry i cant help you with your EV question. Took a detour to Orkney. We also did the trip clockwise and loved every mile. A wow factor round every corner. Enjoy and good luck.

Hooray!! We did it!!

Certainly not easy in an EV and had 1 almost disastrous no-charging experience in Helmsdale. 24 miles in the tank - burst charger - nearest chargers -35 miles north in Wick or 28 miles south in Dornoch.

Luckily I had taken Forum Members' advice and taken a domestic extension cable and a building contractor gave 90 mins on a 3 pin charge which added about another 8 miles. Got to Dornoch with only 4 miles left, I reckon, as the G.O.M. cuts out at single figures!!

But the scenery and driving experience was FANTASTIC!!

More details to follow.

Hooray!! We did it!!

Certainly not easy in an EV and had 1 almost disastrous no-charging experience in Helmsdale. 24 miles in the tank - burst charger - nearest chargers -35 miles north in Wick or 28 miles south in Dornoch.

Luckily I had taken Forum Members' advice and taken a domestic extension cable and a building contractor gave 90 mins on a 3 pin charge which added about another 8 miles. Got to Dornoch with only 4 miles left, I reckon, as the G.O.M. cuts out at single figures!!

But the scenery and driving experience was FANTASTIC!!

More details to follow.

Wow, what an achievement. I'm not sure my nerve will have held! ?

1599148117455.png

OK, so we had a couple of wee divergences!! Thus the 560.3 miles rather than the 500 that the North Coast 500 would imply!!

Firstly, as planned, we went to Torridon after Lochcarron, and if the charger in Torridon was working, we would do the Applecross loop, the wrong way round, and then retrace our steps back to Torridon and on to Gairloch.

Then I had a "Dave" moment when we took a detour into Aultbea and I was sure there was another road out - there isn't!!

But, my word, thank goodness we DID get a slow charge with the helpdesk's assistance. The scenery there is FANTASTIC!! And the driving experience - WOW.

We descended via the Bealach na Bà, a series of very tight hairpin bends that switch back and forth up the hillside and gradients of approx. 20%. It has the steepest ascent of any road climb in the UK!

I switched on to KERS 3 at the top and used the auto-brake as much as I could. In that 10 miles the GOM gained 4 miles!!

The next day we drive round the Lochinver peninsula. This too was about 25 miles of winding, mostly single track road with fantastic scenery!!

Those were the two mouth-dropping highlights!

The lowlight was the charger at Helmsdale not working. Thank goodness for Johnny from a local contractors, who gave me about 90 minutes on a grannie charge which just gave me enough to get to Dornoch.

All in all, it was great and the MG ZS EV performed brilliantly. Four not-so-young adults (one of whom is a retired mechanic who was opposed to me buying an electric car when I first suggested it!) in splendid comfort.

My next post my update to Scottish government!

Well done Dave, it must have been a bit stressful for you but the scenery is well worth it.

i did a detour to Orkney to the Churchill Barriers and Scapa Flow. Despite the midges we did it all the way topless in our TF. I would chose my hotels wisely the next time though, some where a bit rough. ?

View attachment 505

OK, so we had a couple of wee divergences!! Thus the 560.3 miles rather than the 500 that the North Coast 500 would imply!!

Firstly, as planned, we went to Torridon after Lochcarron, and if the charger in Torridon was working, we would do the Applecross loop, the wrong way round, and then retrace our steps back to Torridon and on to Gairloch.

Then I had a "Dave" moment when we took a detour into Aultbea and I was sure there was another road out - there isn't!!

But, my word, thank goodness we DID get a slow charge with the helpdesk's assistance. The scenery there is FANTASTIC!! And the driving experience - WOW.

We descended via the Bealach na Bà, a series of very tight hairpin bends that switch back and forth up the hillside and gradients of approx. 20%. It has the steepest ascent of any road climb in the UK!

I switched on to KERS 3 at the top and used the auto-brake as much as I could. In that 10 miles the GOM gained 4 miles!!

The next day we drive round the Lochinver peninsula. This too was about 25 miles of winding, mostly single track road with fantastic scenery!!

Those were the two mouth-dropping highlights!

The lowlight was the charger at Helmsdale not working. Thank goodness for Johnny from a local contractors, who gave me about 90 minutes on a grannie charge which just gave me enough to get to Dornoch.

All in all, it was great and the MG ZS EV performed brilliantly. Four not-so-young adults (one of whom is a retired mechanic who was opposed to me buying an electric car when I first suggested it!) in splendid comfort.

My next post my update to Scottish government!
Well done, very brave..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom