Northern Spain to Portugal

Nibloprice

Established Member
Reaction score
We just finished a 380mile journey over two days, from the Santander ferry in Spain see family in Northern Portugal.

I have to say that while we complain about our charging network in the UK, Spain and especially Portugal are a fair way behind. In the cities there were quite a few chargers but outside options were limited.

Using ChargeMap it was easy to plan the journey but the options were limited if the charger was being used. As it turns out, we were very lucky that we only had to wait once for 5m. Most of the rapid chargers are compatible with Chargemap’s RFID card so it was very easy once we arrived for our three charges.

However the motorways are very hilly so the range took a bit of a hit. On our flat UK motorways we can get 4m/kWh but we struggled to get over 3.4 on the hilly motorways going at 60mph. But 120 miles on a charge was pretty achievable with 10/20 to spare.

All in all, well worth doing. Amazing scenery, great food.
cheers
Nick

My wife wants us to go to Valencia but I am not sure, I’m worried about the charging network, so a very helpful post, thanks

You’ll defo need ChargeMap and the RFID card. It’s pretty easy if you are near towns. There should be loads in Valencia.

If you are going via France , use ABRP and chargemap as a basis, but remember that, like for ICE, autoroute services are v expensive.
I am waiting for someone to create an app like Gas Now, to tell where the off autoroute stations are close to junctions.
In France , I have currently 3 cards for local use, but then there aren't many EV in my area yet

My wife wants us to go to Valencia but I am not sure, I’m worried about the charging network, so a very helpful post, thanks
I have gone to València this holidays from Barcelona and I have not had any problem, 2 free recharges and 1 paid.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom