Norwegian skepticism

2of3

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I just wanted to be a good guy and post an update to the Norwegian MG ZS EV Facebook group. Everyone there was still stressing out about not getting 455v on their batteries. As we know, MG has lowered this to 450v on a full charge and I thought I'd share this info with my fellow Norwegians.

Most of the responds were people confirming that this was pretty much what they were getting and thanked me for the update.
BUT.
A good number of self appointed experts are claiming that there is no way MG could pull this off without sacrificing range. I tried my best to put forth what I have gleaned here about how MG has shaved a bit off the top end and slid it to the bottom thus giving you a bit more range before the car tells you it's empty (although I have little knowledge in the area, I understand that the car will shut down and call itself empty before the battery is truly flat). One of those "experts" told me that there was no way this was true and not bother trying to teach him anything about batteries cuz he knew all there was to know. Charming. MG can expect an angry email from this guy where he accuses them of trying to pull a fast one and rob us out of the promised range.

Rant aside, I do wish that this information was given to us when we pick up our car after the BMS update. I don't know if it was intentional or if the dealerships aren't aware of how hyper vigilant MG owners are about the nerdy stuff. I do wish for a bit more transparency from MG. An official statement along the lines of:
"This is the voltage you should have on a fully charged and balanced battery and no it won't effect your range and here's why"

I only say this because I want MG to be successful here in Norway. Fact is, the BMS fiasco has done a bit of damage to their reputation here. I think more so than in the UK due to more people here actually getting the bad software installed coupled with the fact that Norway is a great deal colder so we were hit harder with the declining range.

Very interesting.
Agree, better communication definitely needed - did they really think people wouldn't notice the one value displayed that we use to determine how much "charge" we've got remaining.

I'm saying it again but...
We don't actually know for definite what the minimum voltage was before and what it is now, to see if it really is true/any different.

Thank you Tim for an interesting and balanced post, I fully agree that Mg is the worst communicator of all of the many car manufacturers the I have dealt with over the years. It is a shame as if they listened to their customers it would have helped them to move from a good car to an exceptional one.

I got banned from the MG ZS EV Facebook site because I put a post about using LED headlights and people took offence.

There are some sad tossers about.
Did they take offence as they drove through one with their dim lights ? :sneaky:
You think the MG group is bad you should see the UK Electric Vehicle owners club page, a lot of them look down their noses at MG. Lots of Tesla fan boys, angry leaf owners and Facebook qualified technical experts. :LOL:

Did they take offence as they drove through one with their dim lights ? :sneaky:
You think the MG group is bad you should see the UK Electric Vehicle owners club page, a lot of them look down their noses at MG. Lots of Tesla fan boys, angry leaf owners and Facebook qualified technical experts. :LOL:
Kithmo this reminds me of the early 60/70's when Japanese bikes started coming to the uk from the bsa/norton fans etc and look what happened ,may be MG may do the same. (I had a lambretta :cool: )

I was a member of 2 Norwegian FB groups dedicated solely to the ZS EV. One was particularly active so on face value that would be the better group. After several months, I was experiencing a bit of fatigue. Post after post with constant bitching about one thing or another. Even posts which started out as "show off" pieces where new owners shared pictures of their new MG turned sour with the comment section crammed with negative comments.

After the OP described incident, I ended up leaving the group. Even though the group was very active, it's activity wasn't very helpful in the end. I'm much happier here where people know how to treat each other with respect. (y)

One of those "experts" told me that there was no way this was true and not bother trying to teach him anything about batteries cuz he knew all there was to know. Charming. MG can expect an angry email from this guy where he accuses them of trying to pull a fast one and rob us out of the promised range.

Kithmo this reminds me of the early 60/70's when Japanese bikes started coming to the uk from the bsa/norton fans etc and look what happened ,may be MG may do the same. (I had a lambretta :cool: )

In the early 70s I bought a Skoda and had the p""" taken out of me.
I bought one of the first Hyundais to come into the country and had the p""" taken again.
I bought a Leaf and had the p""" taken about the shape.
In 2019 I bought an MG ZS EV ...............................

In the early 70s I bought a Skoda and had the p""" taken out of me.
I bought one of the first Hyundais to come into the country and had the p""" taken again.
I bought a Leaf and had the p""" taken about the shape.
In 2019 I bought an MG ZS EV ...............................
What you buying next ? Save me having the p155 taken out of me lol

I just wanted to be a good guy and post an update to the Norwegian MG ZS EV Facebook group. Everyone there was still stressing out about not getting 455v on their batteries. As we know, MG has lowered this to 450v on a full charge and I thought I'd share this info with my fellow Norwegians.

Most of the responds were people confirming that this was pretty much what they were getting and thanked me for the update.
BUT.
A good number of self appointed experts are claiming that there is no way MG could pull this off without sacrificing range. I tried my best to put forth what I have gleaned here about how MG has shaved a bit off the top end and slid it to the bottom thus giving you a bit more range before the car tells you it's empty (although I have little knowledge in the area, I understand that the car will shut down and call itself empty before the battery is truly flat). One of those "experts" told me that there was no way this was true and not bother trying to teach him anything about batteries cuz he knew all there was to know. Charming. MG can expect an angry email from this guy where he accuses them of trying to pull a fast one and rob us out of the promised range.

Rant aside, I do wish that this information was given to us when we pick up our car after the BMS update. I don't know if it was intentional or if the dealerships aren't aware of how hyper vigilant MG owners are about the nerdy stuff. I do wish for a bit more transparency from MG. An official statement along the lines of:
"This is the voltage you should have on a fully charged and balanced battery and no it won't effect your range and here's why"

I only say this because I want MG to be successful here in Norway. Fact is, the BMS fiasco has done a bit of damage to their reputation here. I think more so than in the UK due to more people here actually getting the bad software installed coupled with the fact that Norway is a great deal colder so we were hit harder with the declining range.
I am prepared to give MG the benefit of the doubt but it is difficult when my update was fairly recent, my battery is showing that it is now at 450v after a couple of charges one being a fairly long balancing charge but yet my GOM range is still showing a close to 30 mile reduction in a 10c normal charge

I am prepared to give MG the benefit of the doubt but it is difficult when my update was fairly recent, my battery is showing that it is now at 450v after a couple of charges one being a fairly long balancing charge but yet my GOM range is still showing a close to 30 mile reduction in a 10c normal charge
Try resetting your trip counters and then once you drive your prediction mileage should increase

Try resetting your trip counters and then once you drive your prediction mileage should increase
That was done on very first charge, every thing has been done from a clean start. So can only hope it improves. My main issue with previous update was no delayed charging, it now appears I still have the same issue with this update. Now on 6th small charge as I am still having issues with delayed charge on my smart charger. My main issue is that the delayed charging does not appear to be working as it should. My very first charge after the update was fine, charger set on a delayed charge of A 9hr delay and charger worked fine. 2nd charge following night again on a 9hr delay, No charge. 3rd delayed charge 8.5hrs, No charge, 4rth charge 6.5hr delay, No charge. 5th charge 1hr delay, successful charge. 6th. charge 6.5hr delay, no charge. Today 2hr delay, again no charge. It is driving me up the wall.

How long is the car left before attempting the timed charge? Some cars go to sleep and can’t be woken after a certain time, but within that they will take a timed charge.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom