Not getting the advertised range on full charge

I think if you were to push all the waste heat of an ice engine into the cabin, even on the coldest days you'd be boiling, possibly literally. On the highway, an engine is using some 20 kW of mechanical power to maintain a steady speed, so twice that (assuming about ⅓ efficiency, hence ⅔ waste heat) would be some 40 kW, way too much heat for comfort. Think of an ICE car with a faulty radiator, and all the steam that comes out of that!
Yes of course.
Whether some of that is still wasted anyway or not, It's "free" (or at least waste) energy that an EV has to spend somewhere else.

Last edited:
Okay, so as you have the NMC battery, what is your usual charging level set at ?.
Have you tried resetting both of your trips yet ?.
So, you are a relatively a low / average milage user then.
Historical driving data is stored by the car and is used to predict the range ( after you have charged ) on the GOM.
IF you have not reset your trips for a while, this can influence the predicted figures show, as your range after charging.
Resetting the trips prior to charging should offer a figure that is closer to the ball park figure of the estimated WLTP range of the car.
Remember, the cold weather WILL have a big negative affect on that predicted range though.
To offer you a some type of comparison, we also have a Trophy LR that is about 18 months old and has covered, roughly about 15,000 miles.
Long story short, I have been monitoring my predicted range on car from it's collection date in March 2022.
It has been exclusively charged from our home A/C wall box and has not been subjected to D/C rapid charging.
My charging schedule level, has mainly been set to a 80% SOC and with both trips zero'd before charging.
Charging to above 80% has only happened on a handful of occasions.
I have chosen to adopt this because one it suits our needs perfectly and two it offers a means of consistently plotting the cars charging behaviour set against the predicted range it offers.
So, it has returned a predicted range of between 211 - 212 miles consistently, over that time scale.
However, as the ambient temp has dropped recently to as low as -5 degrees here, the predicted range has reduced it it's estimated value.
Why, simply because the HV battery pack is extremely cold.
Our car sit's on the drive 24 / 7 and is exposed to all of the weather elements, either good or bad.
When I completed a charge to 80% a few days ago ( both trips reset ) it predicted a reduced range of 206 miles.
Therefore, this clearly displays the negative effect that low ambient temperatures has on the HV pack.
"This is nothing to see here folks" and should be expected in bad winter conditions.
ICE cars are affected in a similar fashion, but as they are dragging around a huge back up of fuel / energy reserves in their tanks, nobody is that interested TBH.
I don't think the drop from 212 miles range to 206 miles range is worth mentioning, mine has dropped by over a third? That is all useful info though, so thanks for that, i will reserve my worrying about a duff battery till next spring!

I find rain makes as much, if not more of a difference than temperature. Increased rolling resistance, increased demisting, and the energy used to pick up and throw aside literally tonnes of water from the road over the course of a long journey.
In my old Volt I used all the available battery capacity on my daily commute and I found the range could be higher on a cold dry winter day than a warm wet summer day.

I don't think the drop from 212 miles range to 206 miles range is worth mentioning, mine has dropped by over a third? That is all useful info though, so thanks for that, i will reserve my worrying about a duff battery till next spring!
Have you tried resetting your trips and how has this changed the predicted range now ?.
Ensure your HVAC is completely turned OFF and you are in the default driving mode when you view the results after a full charge.
YES - I fully conversant with the affects of this action.
@tezzflyer I am not in any way concerned about my drop in range in winter from 212 to 206.
I only provide this in order for you to see what another likewise Trophy LR owner has been seeing.
It was provided purely as a back to back comparison on a like for like basis (y).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom