Not sure MG4 X Power good idea

I didn’t say that. I said the trend towards faster acceleration in cars has contributed to fewer children cycling.
Which you have no evidence for... As has been pointed out, there are many other more likely causitive factors.

I didn’t say that. I said the trend towards faster acceleration in cars has contributed to fewer children cycling. Which was an aside in a post about a general concern in putting nearly 450 bhp in a car that has a habit of veering around against the driver’s wishes.
Is there any evidence for this though? Or is it just a guess?

Well there is one thing for sure and that's my Power is certainly a lot safer to drive both for the driver and especially for pedestrians than the Austin Allegro I used to drive many years ago! It was like driving a tank and remember one day only ' very ' slightly touching an XR4i with my bumper and it nearly wrote the XR4i off :censored:
If I had then some of the modern safety things on the Allegro like collision warning or LKA etc then it certainly would have been a lot safer back then. Can you imagine though putting 440bhp in an Austin Allegro :rolleyes: I think I would have needed to invest in some more bead seat covers and those old ' anti static hang down strips ' that were supposed to prevent you from getting an electric shock but more like trying to make you look a bit cool:cool: What were we all thinking about back in those good old days.

Last edited:
The OP raises an interesting point about fast acceleration. I find our MG4 Trophy can result in driving over the speed limit because it accelerates quickly and is quiet. Also, with our manual car we just left it 2nd gear for a 20mph limit. The engine noise noise warned of going too fast. We use intelligent speed limiting in our local 20 mph limit. The main culprits for exceeding the speed limit in our area are ICE drivers and delivery vans.
I think the main reasons kids don't cycle much are: there are more cars on the roads and more parked cars making cycling dangerous; kids don't need to cycle to friends, they have social media; their parents are less likely to cycle; parents are afraid of their children going out unsupervised.

I love my MG4 (Trophy) and in many ways I think it’s the ideal city and short journey car. I also appreciate the rapid acceleration which makes it a dream to drive around cities.

But in general I worry about the power in these cars. When people query why kids don’t ride bikes around streets any more as they did in the 1980s I point out it’s partly as cars in 1980s hardly ever went 30 mph as their acceleration was slow. But modern cars and especially BEVs are near instantaneous so are always at the speed limit.

Onto the Xpower. What Car notes with admiration that it is “faster at accelerating than a Porsche Taycan”. Is that really a good idea? Has the rest of the car - brakes, chassis etc been upgraded to match a Taycan? Does the LKA work on that version? Do we want residential streets full of vehicles that have more power than a Lamborghini Countach? I fear the industry will just add more and more bhp until it is regulated away. Maybe wrong forum for this but any thoughts?
I've had one a month and a bit now. Don't get me wrong, the fast acceleration is good for a lol when showing it off briefly to someone, but in reality I would prefer a larger battery as if you drive it with the fast acceleration off every red light / stop, it REALLY drains the battery a lot more than if you do it normally.

Still happy with my purchase, but I highly doubt you're going to see kids driving around killing themselves in it etc.

I used to hoof it in my Ice cars if I needed to get out of a side road into rather busy traffic. I did this once in my MG4EV SR and the back end stepped out due to the power and RWD. Lesson learned. I think it has more power than needed and a lighter motor would (perhaps slightly) increase range.

Purely anecdotal from me, but I've seen a marked increase in cycling in the past few years.
I suspect this is mainly due to availability of electric bikes and the hills around Bath.
I agree that their should be more safe cycle routes (particularly in school areas).
I'm also happy for enforced 20mph speed restrictions in residential areas.

I remember an accident in Auckland NZ many years back, some kids were playing chicken at the traffic lights, which involved running across the road as the lights changed. Kid vs sports car is not a great idea. All survived due to low speed of impact, but kind of an example of the risk.

I love my MG4 (Trophy) and in many ways I think it’s the ideal city and short journey car. I also appreciate the rapid acceleration which makes it a dream to drive around cities.

But in general I worry about the power in these cars. When people query why kids don’t ride bikes around streets any more as they did in the 1980s I point out it’s partly as cars in 1980s hardly ever went 30 mph as their acceleration was slow. But modern cars and especially BEVs are near instantaneous so are always at the speed limit.

Onto the Xpower. What Car notes with admiration that it is “faster at accelerating than a Porsche Taycan”. Is that really a good idea? Has the rest of the car - brakes, chassis etc been upgraded to match a Taycan? Does the LKA work on that version? Do we want residential streets full of vehicles that have more power than a Lamborghini Countach? I fear the industry will just add more and more bhp until it is regulated away. Maybe wrong forum for this but any

Doesn’t matter if it’s a porshe or an mg - people tend to believe their own hype regarding their own abilities. Doesn’t matter how fast a car can turn or stop if the human controlling it goes faster than their own capabilities. But yeah at least a Porsche is out of reach of a lot of people in that respect.

Onto the Xpower. What Car notes with admiration that it is “faster at accelerating than a Porsche Taycan”. Is that really a good idea? Has the rest of the car - brakes, chassis etc been upgraded to match a Taycan? Does the LKA work on that version? Do we want residential streets full of vehicles that have more power than a Lamborghini Countach? I fear the industry will just add more and more bhp until it is regulated away. Maybe wrong forum for this but any thoughts?
Love my XPower, too many safety points to raise here, drive it sensibly and the extra acceleration will come in handy when overtaking

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom