OBD Automatic Window & Sunroof Closer

AndyNWuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
It's summer again and often I like to use the open sunroof on my 2020 ZS EV.

Unlike some cars where you can simply hold down the lock button on the remote to close all windows when exiting, the Mk 1 ZS EV doesn't have this facility.

Has anyone located and tried any third part OBD plug-in Auto Window closing devices or indeed any other units and have they worked successfully?

I have a bad habit of closing the blind when driving to avoid sunburn, but park up and forget to close the sunroof, luckily this hasn't happened when it has rained and I have been lucky so far in that sense.

Also, the alarm on this car is very basic, it doesn't seem to have any internal movement sensors which would have probably activated when the sunroof is left open, but in this vehicle it can't due to lack of these sensors.

Any advice on auto closing appreciated.

Andy (Blackpool)

I too would be interested in this as the 2022 ZS EV also does not have global closure

@N2STY as a pretty knowledgeable individual on here have you seen anything on this?

Has anyone got a carly that they could try and have a poke around in the coding section?

For auto Close and open the car normally needs auto up and auto down on the buttons then the old remote trick should work but more and more car only have auto up down on drivers buttons it's all down to cost I am saying it not definitely inpossible but it's not looking good from what I have seen but not having the car I can't poke around 😒

For auto Close and open the car normally needs auto up and auto down on the buttons then the old remote trick should work but more and more car only have auto up down on drivers buttons it's all down to cost I am saying it not definitely inpossible but it's not looking good from what I have seen but not having the car I can't poke around 😒
Yeah I have the car, I just don't have the tools to have a poke around :ROFLMAO: I don't know anyone local to me who has a decent (not a cheap chinese copy) OBD programmer :(

Yeah I have the car, I just don't have the tools to have a poke around :ROFLMAO: I don't know anyone local to me who has a decent (not a cheap chinese copy) OBD programmer :(
As you have the car do all windows have anti trap unfortunately the easy way to test is to trap your hand and will probably hurt😅

According to the owners manual, the car does have an "Anti-Trap" Device installed but this is not clear if it only works on the drivers door as this is the only window which can be closed or opened using a one touch operation.

What annoys me is the passenger side front window has one touch down, but not one touch up. What's that all about ?

Just tested all of the functionality.

All 4 electric windows is one touch down, even rear seat ones, from the switch in the rear doors.

Only front drivers side is one touch up, the rest are not.

If i stick my arm through the rear window and pull the button, it will happily go up, and pinch my arm pretty strongly and stop. I think it stops because the motor has no more "power" to close.

It does not do the "i encountered resistance so i will stop and lower the window a bit"

Makes sense that it does not do this, and this being the reason for the missing one touch up.

The driver has full view of his own window, but if he was able to one-touch up, the rear windows, the kids would get their hand stuck and pinched if they had their hand out the window while the driver selected to raise the windows.

Another feature missing, which is even stranger is the "Rain sensor does not affect headlamps"

On my previous car, if the rain sensor detected rain, and the wipers ran for more than X times, in Y amount of time, it would conclude that the weather was so poor, that it should turn on the dipped beam and rear lamps.

This is, atleast in Denmark a requirement, that you turn on these if the visibility is lowered, and the definition is that if it is raining more than a little, the visibility is lowered.

Would be SO easy for them to implement this, as this would be 100% a software feature, but even though the Chinese are famous for copying, they "forgot" to copy this simple feature.

Would this be because daylight running lights are on though on my car the daylight is brighter than side lights

The ODB is encrypted, you can’t do much with it all and no one has managed to break in.

And they cost thousands more - just saying 😀
Yes the do, but I am puzzled why the MG5 has the feature and the ZS EV ( a higher priced model ) does not ?.
After all, surely it can be achieved via a software update as all the equipment for the electric window operation is already installed.
A command to lift / lower all windows simultaneously should be possible ?.
If all seats in the car where occupied and each individual window switch was actioned at the same time, all windows to obey.
It needs a programme coding to achieve this facility, opportunity missed rather than the higher cost of the VAG models I would say ?.

I think this covered either here or another thread. Depends if the windows have one touch up/down , as far as I understand… which is very little! 🤣

I think this covered either here or another thread. Depends if the windows have one touch up/down , as far as I understand… which is very little! 🤣
It is normal to have one touch on the drivers / both front windows, but not the rear windows for safety concerns when little children are tempted to play with the switches etc when in the car.
Another safe feature, is that the driver can turn off the control of the rear windows from an isolation switch in the drivers door panel.
This kills the switch’s in the rear doors, but the driver still retains control of all windows from a central switch pack in the drivers door.

Yes I agree, I have a ZS EV LR Connect and only the drivers window has one touch operation. The passenger and rear have press n hold, still better than the olden days of a manual handle🤪

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom