OBD readers

Verdigris

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Has anybody found an OBD reader and an accompanying app suitable for MG5s? As well as reading general faults, I'd be interested in interrogating the battery state, in a similar way to Leaf-Spy. The ones I've investigated don't inspire confidence.

Posts 5 and 6 here, possibly:

Posts 5 and 6 here, possibly:

Thank you.

Has anybody found an OBD reader and an accompanying app suitable for MG5s? As well as reading general faults, I'd be interested in interrogating the battery state, in a similar way to Leaf-Spy. The ones I've investigated don't inspire confidence.
Use the search function (top right) and you will find plenty of info.

1697443390752.png

OBD (On Board Diagnostics) Dongles (small 'Plug in' to the vehicles diagnostics socket providing bluetooth communications from a smartphone running an app to the MG5 - e.g. see topdon link below). Often called a 'Scanner'. N.B. If an OBD dongle is left plugged in long term this can cause the MG5 alarm to activate !
The ODB socket is above where the clutch pedal would be, behind the plastic dashboard, so you have to be a contortionist to find and access it (see picture below).
Has anyone been able to successfully install an OBD2 dongle and get successful data? Yes - See here :-

With the right 'app' error codes can be read and cleared as used by the AA (with the necessary knowledge) to re-enable a disabled EV.
Anybody know which 'apps' and dongles and where they can be obtained ?

Attachments

• PXL_20231218_133653354~2.jpg
    PXL_20231218_133653354~2.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom