OBD2 App for SOH Checking

MTS

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi I've tried to use the search function and despite seeing a few threads about people sharing their SOH data, I cannot seem to find the app that can be used to check the SOH? I already have the OBD2 adapter.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I'm seeing a major drop in my range in my 22 Plate ZS EV SR recently which i understandable given the weather. Even then I've only got 26% battery left after covering 66miles which is not even 50% of the 'normal' range. This is way below the various websites publishing real world data so I'm wondering if something is wrong. I'm ignoring the GOM which says I still have 44miles left as I know it will just change in a blink as the battery starts dropping at around 1%/mile

I also notice people mentioning battery balancing and voltages they should see - is this only applicable for the Mk1 or the Mk2 LR? I have never seen the 450v+ that people say I should be seeing, mine is around 397-400v. Is this because the SR has a difference battery chemistry and works on lower voltages?

Thanks. So I just did a quick check and my 22 Plate with 2600miles on it has an SOH 96.52% which is not good for a car with so low mileage. It has never had DC charging and only 7kw charges or granny charges.

Is this reading reliable? In which case I am likely to have an issue with the car with such low mileage.....

I would run it again on when fully charged
Screenshot_20221217-063629.png

I would run it again on when fully charged
View attachment 13866
Thanks will try again when charged as the battery is at 26% SOC at the moment. If it does vary after charging then it seems to strange or maybe another characteristic of the LFP battery on the SR where readings are all over the place. But the common view of LFP is that they are supposed to degrade more slowly!

I wonder how MG would measure this if there ever was a warranty claim or they have more advanced tools to get the exact figure?!
Will update!

I also notice people mentioning battery balancing and voltages they should see - is this only applicable for the Mk1 or the Mk2 LR? I have never seen the 450v+ that people say I should be seeing, mine is around 397-400v. Is this because the SR has a difference battery chemistry and works on lower voltages?
The two different HV pack voltages that are MOST commonly spoken about on the forum, are mainly for ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) models and not the Gen 2 facelift model like your new standard range model.
The MG5 has a lower pack voltage of around 405 - 410 volts when fully charged, if my memory serves me correctly ?.
I think the ZS EV Gen 2 facelift is of similar voltages.
When it comes to charging / balancing your Gen 2 facelift, then due to the type of battery chemistry, it is recommended that you charge the pack to 100% SOC every single time you plug the car into a A/C supply, either from a wall box or public post or even a Granny lead.
You are unable to set the level of the SOC percentage, unlike on the LR models ( which has a different battery chemistry ).
Remember, the balancing process / cycle will only commence, AFTER the HV battery has reached 100% SOC.

Thanks. So I just did a quick check and my 22 Plate with 2600miles on it has an SOH 96.52% which is not good for a car with so low mileage. It has never had DC charging and only 7kw charges or granny charges.

Is this reading reliable? In which case I am likely to have an issue with the car with such low mileage.....
That doesn't sound good, my 2020 ZS with 5,570 miles on it has a SOH of 99.25%.
Have you done any balance charges ?

Hello i have the same thing with my LFP

That doesn't sound good, my 2020 ZS with 5,570 miles on it has a SOH of 99.25%.
Have you done any balance charges ?
I have done about 3-4 balancing charges since owning the car in the last 6 months. I have recently charged to 100% as suggested and did another reading and the latest SOH is 96.5%, so another marginal drop within 30 miles of last checking.

To be honest I would have been surprised if SOH went back up after charging, suggesting the app was not working properly. But then it means my battery is not in a good state having lost 3.5% after 2800 miles and 6 months.....at full charge and reset of both meters, the GOM now shows 197miles instead of 198miles when it was new, so it does suggest that battery degradation is happening.. Even though it is supposed to stabilise, I would not be surprised if I was down to about 93% SOH by the end of the first year.

It will however not be of any interest to MG as they will say I cannot rely on this reading and even if it was correct, it is nowhere near the condition that triggers any battery warranty....

So it seems like i got a bit of bad luck with my battery just like on phones, some people use it for years on the same battery whilst others have issues much earlier.....

I have done about 3-4 balancing charges since owning the car in the last 6 months. I have recently charged to 100% as suggested and did another reading and the latest SOH is 96.5%, so another marginal drop within 30 miles of last checking.

To be honest I would have been surprised if SOH went back up after charging, suggesting the app was not working properly. But then it means my battery is not in a good state having lost 3.5% after 2800 miles and 6 months.....at full charge and reset of both meters, the GOM now shows 197miles instead of 198miles when it was new, so it does suggest that battery degradation is happening.. Even though it is supposed to stabilise, I would not be surprised if I was down to about 93% SOH by the end of the first year.

It will however not be of any interest to MG as they will say I cannot rely on this reading and even if it was correct, it is nowhere near the condition that triggers any battery warranty....

So it seems like i got a bit of bad luck with my battery just like on phones, some people use it for years on the same battery whilst others have issues much earlier.....
Can I suggest that if you are concerned about your battery health, that when you submit your car for its first service, you ask the dealer to run a HV battery health check, that you can either witness in person, or ask them to video YOUR car connected to the diag computer, clearly displaying the SOH of your HV battery.

I've got the exact same experience with my SoH of my Mk2 SR, so on first service I will be asking them to check it, I've done similar mileage as you and been charging on ac for 99% of the time for the last 5 months and a half.

So, I've now done a few 100% charges since I last posted, and it seems my SoH of the battery keeps going down slowly, at least from look at the eZS app.
1672344826311.png

Not concerned yet, but will continue to monitor for the next few months, i'm now tracking this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221229_142024_eZS.png
    Screenshot_20221229_142024_eZS.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Hi Lusitano. Happy new year...
Want to ask how do you get that info ? I can't find it on my app . Are you using something else there?

Hi Lusitano. Happy new year...
Want to ask how do you get that info ? I can't find it on my app . Are you using something else there?
Happy New Year!

I use the eZS app from play store, made sure to pair using the dongle, I found plugging dongle first to car and then using app works best.

I used this dongle, which I got from aliexpress, after someone posted that it worked for them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230102_100321_AliExpress.png
    Screenshot_20230102_100321_AliExpress.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 147
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom