OBD2 Heads up display for our cars

BruiserNZ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Do any owners of our MG ZS EV's use an after-market Heads-up Display unit. If so, please advise make & model, perhaps a link to supplier, and your experience.

There are hundreds available from suppliers online, but none I can find are necessarily compatible with EV's.

I have learned that EV cars OBD2 ports don't offer the same data options as ports on ICE vehicles, i.e. engine revolutions etc.

Do any owners of our MG ZS EV's use an after-market Heads-up Display unit. If so, please advise make & model, perhaps a link to supplier, and your experience.

There are hundreds available from suppliers online, but none I can find are necessarily compatible with EV's.

I have learned that EV cars OBD2 ports don't offer the same data options as ports on ICE vehicles, i.e. engine revolutions etc.
There is a podcast here all about the OVMS module that allows use of the third party display - about 11 minutes in

Thanks Biffo, I have read all about OVMS, and I have no intention of paying NZ$500 for a product that is still in beta, with no assurances of what it will provide in the future. I do know that there are products out there that will provide Heads up display by plugging into the same OBD2 port that OVMS uses.

Thanks Biffo, I have read all about OVMS, and I have no intention of paying NZ$500 for a product that is still in beta, with no assurances of what it will provide in the future. I do know that there are products out there that will provide Heads up display by plugging into the same OBD2 port that OVMS uses.
Must admit, if this was working for the MG5 I’d have one, just for the battery level notifications but I can totally see your point.

There are HUDs that plug in to the OBD2 port but I can't see you getting much "useful" HU info from those on an EV apart from the speed speed display.
If it's just speed you need there are HUDs that work off GPS and apps that work off GPS for your phone where you put the phone on the dash and it projects the speed onto your windscreen.

There are HUDs that plug in to the OBD2 port but I can't see you getting much "useful" HU info from those on an EV apart from the speed speed display.
If it's just speed you need there are HUDs that work off GPS and apps that work off GPS for your phone where you put the phone on the dash and it projects the speed onto your windscreen.

Kithmo, I would like to have battery %, available range, speed in any HUD EV display.

I have a Samsung Fold 2 which I connect to one of the USB ports for Android Auto use, putting that on the dash wouldn't work for me.

I'll keep looking.
Bruiser

Get a good phone holder that can keep your Samsung somewhere visible without being obstructive and using an OBD2 dongle pair to your phone and use either Torque or Car Scanner. (I really like car scanner).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom