Observation on driving in snow ....

D

Deleted member 2439

It snowed heavily overnight here, about 5cm deep and snowing hard when we woke up. I was asked to take the Mrs to work and agreed As she doesn’t like driving in snow.

On the way back I joined a long line of slow moving and well spaced out cars coming upto a set of lights that I knew would turn red - which they did. I gently pressed the brake pedal and was immediately met with “that sensation” of the ABS going off and the car sliding along - without much loss of speed. 😕. There was plenty of space as I said. I let my foot off and was pleasantly surprised that the KERS 3 then slowed the car right down and did the hard work for me. It was a stroke of luck as I didn’t charge overnight and am usually met with the message about regen braking being off - brake normally.

It‘s a point that’s worth noting when driving in these conditions with a full battery.

good points. I think it is a matter of preference. Some prefer minimal regen braking in icy conditions as they say it can slow the car too forcibly - others like it and say that it gives better control.

In an ICE car I would keep it in gear while breaking so it brakes smoothly.
KERS sound like it does a similar thing.

Driving with winter tyres hasn’t altered the Normal & KERS 3 settings I use. They work surprisingly well, but you do need to be featherlight with the throttle, but even when the wheels spin, they grip very quickly. Been driving around variious vehicles that are struggling on the slight inclines, and also driving up some quite steep snowy/icy hills, where I could not get up last time when I had CrossClimate tyres on!

Braking has been fine as well. The tyres just grip. Cornering has been fine, handles like normal.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom