Occasional loud noise when changing gears or (dis)engaging P

Swedish Chef

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I don't actually know if they're called "gears" in an EV, but anyway. We've had our new MG5 EV (MY2022) for 10 days now. Only about 900 km on the odometer. My only issue so far is that sometimes when I switch between P/R/N/D, it makes quite a loud noise. It doesn't happen every time. Sometimes it's noisy, and other times it's not noticeable at all.

Here's a short video clip where you can hear it at its worst:
Video

--edit:
Now that I'm watching the video clip again, maybe it was only when engaging or disengaging the parking brake? Not when switching from N to D or R. I'm not sure anymore. Will have to try again later.

Anyway, any ideas? Should I be concerned? Take it in for service? Thanks in advance for your insights.

Sounds like the parking brake engaging and disengaging. I don't get the noise as loudly as that but have heard the brake 'moving'.

It's the electronic parking brake being applied/released, it will automatically get applied when you press park, and should release when you go into drive.

You can probably also manually apply/release it assuming the facelift has the switch to do so (the pre facelift does)

Yeah it's obviously the parking brake, sorry about the confusion there. It's just strange how it's quite loud sometimes and not so loud at other times. Probably nothing to worry about anyway. Thanks.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom