Octopus energy tariffs

Yea, Octopus has transferred me to their Flexible Account, paying 34p / kw or so.

Unsure how to get back to Octopus Go.

Web page goes round in circles..............

Is it sceptical of me to think they have away thousands of electric blankets, used during the night tariffs, to then put up their night prices. :unsure:

You're lucky to have off street parking and the ability to access even the domestic price cap rate, let alone off peak prices as low as this.

For those of us having to rely solely on public charging where prices have been rising every couple of months it is becoming really expensive.

Is it sceptical of me to think they have away thousands of electric blankets, used during the night tariffs, to then put up their night prices. :unsure:
Do you really think they are connected ? If so you are the worlds greatest sceptic. :eek:

Do you really think they are connected ? If so you are the worlds greatest sceptic. :eek:
It was tongue in cheek.
And I'm sure you've come across far more sceptical/far out comments on the Internet;)

Last edited:
You're lucky to have off street parking and the ability to access even the domestic price cap rate, let alone off peak prices as low as this.

For those of us having to rely solely on public charging where prices have been rising every couple of months it is becoming really expensive.
Yes I sympathies. its still cheaper than an equivalent sized ICE car though. The little petrol cars are on a par, or even slightly cheaper I think...

And of course, we are still helping to reduce pollution etc...

Just had my quote from Octopus and it's the 12p/39.95p one. One hell of a hike as I was on 5p/14.19p. Their latest hike to 12p is very disappointing.

In addition, I had an air source heat pump installed in March so don't have a year's worth of data on that to work with.

With some dodgy assumptions/estimates the revised Go cost p.a. almost exactly matches what it's likely to cost if I move to the Flexible tariff (Flexible £100 cheaper).. I don't perceive any value for me on the Octopus Universe (I've had their RFID card for almost 2 years and never used it).

So, more than likely moving to Flexible.

Can anyone help me sort out if I need to try to get on Octopus?

I am with Scottish Power fixed until March 2023.

I feel that I might be better off on Octopus. But I am not very good ( useless ) to be honest ) with figures.

I love the car, but as with most would like to save a few bob if possible.

I do a longish journey every couple of weeks to my motor racing events average 200 mile round trip. Other than that it’s shopping 5 mile round trip.
Most of the figures that are quoted on here don’t make any sense to me.

I know that what I am asking is a big ask but you are a friendly lot so I’m hopeful of getting a reply 🤞🤞🤞🤞😁

The little petrol cars are on a par, or even slightly cheaper I think...
I am still not convinced they are to be honest, apart from the other gains over ICE cars like smoothness to drive and as you say, no emissions and no road tax ( yet ).
However, my wife has very small ( so called ) economic Fiat 500 1.0 litre.
She loves to bits - We have owned it from new and it is serviced regularly.
It has only covered 14,000 miles and was registered back in 2016 !.
You would expect the Fiat to be cheaper to run than our ZS EV facelift, given its small size, as you can’t get much smaller car really.
I actually find our ZS EV more economical to run !.
That may sound strange, but it true.
Comparing the two cars is like night and day.
The Fiat is cramped and very under powered, to the extent that overtaking can be that nerve racking, you just don’t bother.
Insurance is not far behind the ZS and you have to tax it as well !.
Servicing costs are about the same as the ZS also.
The fact that the Fiat has covered so little miles, goes some way to make this story believable.
Or previous ZS EV ( Gen1 ) covered 20,000 miles in two years and the new facelift model has covered almost 7,000 miles since mid March 2022.
We are both retired and travel almost everywhere together.
It’s hard to find a case to say that the small ICE car is cheaper to run in our case.
Important to say that we do have the facility to charge from home, which is vitally important to keep the EV running costs justified.
I personally think I would still have an EV over a ICE even if the cost was very close.
EV’s are a habit that is hard to brake for me.

Hi all, now in just trying to be helpful, I don’t know if this is true or relevant to this thread, I don’t have Octopus energy but I know a lot of you do, I also don’t do Facebook but some how the screenshot below popped up in my email just in case you are unaware is this true have Octopus increased the GO tariff from 7.5 to 12p I was thinking of moving to them at the end of my currant fix but now I’m not to sure if it’s worth it.
Les

53245BDB-49C6-4AC8-8199-BEE3951C0513.jpeg

I think we knew that 7.5p wasn't going to last. This is better than I expected for the change as it could have been a lot higher than 40p. As it says in the commentary, 12p is still a great price by today's standards: £7.32 to fully charge a 61kWh LR from empty is still a great price (over several nights, obvs).

Last edited:
Can anyone help me sort out if I need to try to get on Octopus?

I am with Scottish Power fixed until March 2023.

I feel that I might be better off on Octopus. But I am not very good ( useless ) to be honest ) with figures.

I love the car, but as with most would like to save a few bob if possible.

I do a longish journey every couple of weeks to my motor racing events average 200 mile round trip. Other than that it’s shopping 5 mile round trip.
Most of the figures that are quoted on here don’t make any sense to me.

I know that what I am asking is a big ask but you are a friendly lot so I’m hopeful of getting a reply 🤞🤞🤞🤞😁
Unfortunately to answer your question figures are needed as the answer you want is based on numbers. Quite simply the cost is usage x price.
So what is your annual usage ? You may find this on your bill somewhere or on an annual statement. If not just find your bills that cover the last year and add your usage up.
If you are not on a time of day tariff such as Go then you will need to deduct the amount of car charging you have done in the past year. This may not be easy without records.
Then just multiply the annual home usage by the daytime tariff and the car charging by the night tariff to get your answer.
This is the basics, as an illustration, you can get more detailed by trying to move daytime usage to off peak such as washing machines etc. etc. but I have tried to keep it basic.

Don't want to put you off, as it's important, but you do need to help and find some numbers as without them it's either gut instinct or your guess is as good as anyone's

Just had my quote from Octopus and it's the 12p/39.95p one. One hell of a hike as I was on 5p/14.19p. Their latest hike to 12p is very disappointing.

In addition, I had an air source heat pump installed in March so don't have a year's worth of data on that to work with.

With some dodgy assumptions/estimates the revised Go cost p.a. almost exactly matches what it's likely to cost if I move to the Flexible tariff (Flexible £100 cheaper).. I don't perceive any value for me on the Octopus Universe (I've had their RFID card for almost 2 years and never used it).

So, more than likely moving to Flexible.
I may be with you on this. My Go rates finish in March next year and for my area this means
day rate now 29.82 going to 40.23
off peak now 7.5 going to 12
standing charge now 26.82 going to 47.99

Standard variable is about 34p so 6p less and standing charge unknown by me

Thankfully I have some time to decide and work it out nearer the time if rates stay the same but as a low user will need to work out how much I need to charge the car to balance the extra daytime costs.

I may be with you on this. My Go rates finish in March next year and for my area this means
day rate now 29.82 going to 40.23
off peak now 7.5 going to 12
standing charge now 26.82 going to 47.99

Standard variable is about 34p so 6p less and standing charge unknown by me

Thankfully I have some time to decide and work it out nearer the time if rates stay the same but as a low user will need to work out how much I need to charge the car to balance the extra daytime costs.
What confuses me is that my standing charge is almost doubling from 25p to 49.11p. How can that be? Looks like a sneaky way to raise extra revenue.

Their Flexible tariff works out to approx 34p.

I emailed Octopus when the daily standing charge increased dramatically earlier this year. Their response was a load of gobbledygook about maintaining this and adding that…… Personally, I feel that it’s their way of increasing revenue, as even when (if) the cost of electricity reduces, you can be sure the standing charge will only rise.

Ofgem have forced a higher charge on energy providers to pay for 'supplier of last resort' costs.

Companies going bust has put a large strain on this system as it was designed as afailsafe for a number of smaller suppliers failing. Not high amounts of larger ones.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom