Octopus energy tariffs

I agree to an extent but I'd certainly include possibilities in my decision making, with an appropriate weighting according to their likelihood and impact. For instance - if for any reason I wasn't able to charge a battery bank on a cheap rate, only on my excess solar or at full tariff rate, would it still fulfil my ambitions?

btw Intelligent Octopus is already a thing, it is currently in use. I don't see Octopus wanting to retain too many tariffs here and there for EVs so the speculation I've mentioned makes sense. it's also a fact that Intelligent Octopus currently only works with certain cars or chargers. This range will undoubtedly be expanded. It doesn't work (AFAIK) with batteries, but that's not to say there won't be a tariff which does. It also more or less does away with the opportunity to shift other loads into the cheap period, as you don't know when it will be (and also a compliant car would state to the network how much it needs to be full - I understand atm this can also be an estimate by the owner, but they can see how much and at what level you are consuming power so it may be difficult to work around)

Anyway - I personally think it's a reasonably strong possibility that Go as we know it will cease to exist for new customers within a year and I'd be factoring it into decisions, along with any other risks.

I agree to an extent but I'd certainly include possibilities in my decision making, with an appropriate weighting according to their likelihood and impact. For instance - if for any reason I wasn't able to charge a battery bank on a cheap rate, only on my excess solar or at full tariff rate, would it still fulfil my ambitions?

btw Intelligent Octopus is already a thing, it is currently in use. I don't see Octopus wanting to retain too many tariffs here and there for EVs so the speculation I've mentioned makes sense. it's also a fact that Intelligent Octopus currently only works with certain cars or chargers. This range will undoubtedly be expanded. It doesn't work (AFAIK) with batteries, but that's not to say there won't be a tariff which does. It also more or less does away with the opportunity to shift other loads into the cheap period, as you don't know when it will be (and also a compliant car would state to the network how much it needs to be full - I understand atm this can also be an estimate by the owner, but they can see how much and at what level you are consuming power so it may be difficult to work around)

Anyway - I personally think it's a reasonably strong possibility that Go as we know it will cease to exist for new customers within a year and I'd be factoring it into decisions, along with any other risks.
I don't think you understand how the intelligent tariff works.

Intelligent gives you a number of hours at off peak similar to the go tariff, these hours don't change. So you can run your batteries, washing machine, etc during these hours.

The hours that your car chargers does change and is controlled by octopus.

The bonus is that if they decide to charge your car outside of these off peak hours the car is still charged at the off peak rate and you keep the set off peak hours too.

Hmmm OK, I think I'm conflating two things I've read about. I've definitely read about an EV only tariff under the control of the provider, and I'm pretty sure it was Octopus.

However, thanks for putting me straight and apologies for previously misleading folks.

So, took the plunge and signed up today. Will be switching to the Go tariff in a couple of weeks (12pp KWh 00:30 - 04:30hrs) and 42pp KWh rest of the time.

In preparation I have plugged in my 4, selected scheduled charge on the MG App, and set Zappi to “ECO+” and set the time to 00:30 - 04:30hrs. I have no idea if this will work, here’s hoping!!

I also believe that when I get my PV Solar system, if I select “ECO+” on the Zappi, it will automatically charge from solar when available. Can anyone confirm this please?

Proper Newbie when it comes to all this palaver.

So, took the plunge and signed up today. Will be switching to the Go tariff in a couple of weeks (12pp KWh 00:30 - 04:30hrs) and 42pp KWh rest of the time.

In preparation I have plugged in my 4, selected scheduled charge on the MG App, and set Zappi to “ECO+” and set the time to 00:30 - 04:30hrs. I have no idea if this will work, here’s hoping!!

I also believe that when I get my PV Solar system, if I select “ECO+” on the Zappi, it will automatically charge from solar when available. Can anyone confirm this please?

I've done the same for the last 2 months only set the Zappi to fast charge and the MG app on scheduled 00.00-4.30 without any issues. I alternate between once a week and twice a week for my current use. I don't have solar. cost to me is approx £12.60 a month @ 7.5p KW.

I've done the same for the last 2 months only set the Zappi to fast charge and the MG app on scheduled 00.00-4.30 without any issues. I alternate between once a week and twice a week for my current use. I don't have solar. cost to me is approx £12.60 a month @ 7.5p KW.
Thank you PJ - I had issues initially with the MG app just charging straight away (even when I chose scheduled), so will ty using the Zappi on Eco+ tonight, if it does not work, will try again with the Zappi set to fast and try using the MG schedule again tomorrow night. 👍

Thank you PJ - I had issues initially with the MG app just charging straight away (even when I chose scheduled), so will ty using the Zappi on Eco+ tonight, if it does not work, will try again with the Zappi set to fast and try using the MG schedule again tomorrow night. 👍
Forgot to mention, the one and only time it didn't work was when I accidentally changed to eco+ I think when winding the cable after previous charge(I have a tethered charger).i assumed it was looking for something I didn't have IE solar.

A quick, back of a fag packet workings….. my last month was circa 300 KWh used whilst charging @ current rate = £102.00. If i do the same next month (likely) then even with the uplift to 12pp KWh, then expected bill to be around £36.00.

This is what has made my mind up, even though the day rate is 8 pence more per KWh, as they is only two of us, this should not be much extra. Even less in April when the solar arrives :)

Speaking of which, is it just the EV rate that is set at 12p off peak, or house stuff as well? And further question for those with solar and battery: - could I recharge the solar battery in winter at 12pp KWh? Or run dishwasher / washing machine etc.

Side-bar……. Got an air fryer now lol , proper getting into this efficiency m’larky.

Last edited:
Well that didn’t work 😔

at a loss - My energy just says “Charge Delayed”.

EDIT: may have inadvertently had my charging bar set to 70% on the MG app. Try again later.

Last edited:
A quick, back of a fag packet workings….. my last month was circa 300 KWh used whilst charging @ current rate = £102.00. If i do the same next month (likely) then even with the uplift to 12pp KWh, then expected bill to be around £36.00.

This is what has made my mind up, even though the day rate is 8 pence more per KWh, as they is only two of us, this should not be much extra. Even less in April when the solar arrives :)

Speaking of which, is it just the EV rate that is set at 12p off peak, or house stuff as well? And further question for those with solar and battery: - could I recharge the solar battery in winter at 12pp KWh? Or run dishwasher / washing machine etc.

Side-bar……. Got an air fryer now lol , proper getting into this efficiency m’larky.
Use whatever you like in the cheap time period, do the ironing, put the washing machine on, charge those batteries and charge your car. All at cheap rate if in the time slot.

How come it's not a fire risk in normal tariff time then? :)

I think I read that the fire risk comes largely (but not solely) due to build-up of lint - which more regular clearing down by user would avoid.

How come it's not a fire risk in normal tariff time then? :)

I think I read that the fire risk comes largely (but not solely) due to build-up of lint - which more regular clearing down by user would avoid.
Well, yes, I am just repeating the advice, not saying it makes sense. I think they assume it is in the kitchen and you'd notice a problem. Our tumble drier is in the basement so we wouldn't. Many people don't clean out their driers properly (or do other appliance maintenance).

My daughter has had to move out of her student accommodation due to a tumble dryer fire as the whole kitchen was a right off.

When charging the car the battery will output through max inverter capacity and the rest will come from the grid (3.6kw from inverter and 3.4kw from grid I think).
Make sure your battery is not feeding the EV during off peak hours when it should be charging.

When charging the car the battery will output through max inverter capacity and the rest will come from the grid (3.6kw from inverter and 3.4kw from grid I think).
Make sure your battery is not feeding the EV during off peak hours when it should be charging.
Thank you.

Going for a 5.2 Kw inverter I believe the battery is 5.4 Kw.

Hoping the Zappi will take care of most if this. But can see me getting confused and requiring some more help come the time 😁

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom