Octopus Go Faster tariffs ……

D

Deleted member 2439

Hi,

Has anyone had any updated Go Faster tariffs from Octopus recently? Our contract with them ends in early Jan and I was wondering what they are offering at the moment. This is the Go Faster 5 hour tariff as opposed to the regular 4 hour tariff.

thanks - Rob

You may have to wait and see as it is still a bit unstable and don't they announce the next cap in January for April?

I suspect you'll get shoved onto the basic standard variable at best
I agree !.
My EV tariff with EDF energy ended yesterday.
The fixed price EV tariffs are crazy money right now.
Octopus 🐙 are not taking on any new customers and another energy provider has gone busy today !.
EDF energy prides itself on being 100% Eco friendly carbon free nuclear powered.
Here is the problem I have understanding ?.
It costs the same money to produce electric from nuclear last year as it does this year, so why are we being asked for this crazy level of price increases ?.
If 95% of the power stations are run on gas, like we do on this narrow minded island that we live on.
Then I sort of get it ?.
We are too reliant on gas in this country and are now at the mercy of other countries to help us supply us.
Of course EDF is a french company, so we know how that is going to end up !.
Maybe we can trade some fish for some electricity !.
They are going to shaft us, as hard as they can !.
As a island we need to learn be more self sufficient, or learn to except that other suppliers of energy will completely shaft us !.

I think the tariff will continue but the rates are another matter.
The need to incentivise consumption off peak remains.

I suspect you'll get shoved onto the basic standard variable at best

That's the tariff Octopus put us on when Avro energy went belly up, With the vast amount of customers who were moved over to Octopus energy our account is still being sorted out.

It costs the same money to produce electric from nuclear last year as it does this year, so why are we being asked for this crazy level of price increases ?.
If 95% of the power stations are run on gas, like we do on this narrow minded island that we live on.
Then I sort of get it ?.
Renewables generated 43 per cent of the UK’s electricity, while fossil fuels provided 38.5 per cent. Offshore and onshore wind accounted for 24.2 per cent in the renewables share: offshore wind 13 per cent and onshore wind 11.2 per cent. Low carbon sources, including renewables and nuclear power, together generated 59 per cent of the UK’s electricity in 2020, according to the figures in the latest Energy Trends report published by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).

Courtesy of Renewable Energy Outperforms Fossil Fuels in UK

That's the tariff Octopus put us on when Avro energy went belly up, With the vast amount of customers who were moved over to Octopus energy our account is still being sorted out.
Just received our final bill for Avro from Octopus yesterday, so they are getting there :)

I'm also on Go Faster 20.30 5h that ends in January 2022 and thats been withdrawn for new customers. From octopus tariff list, the earliest start at 21.30. Hopefully same time would still be offered to existing customers.
That’s my start time as well. Mine ends early Feb - I’ve just checked. I’ve asked them what will be available, but no answer as yet. 🤞

Renewables generated 43 per cent of the UK’s electricity, while fossil fuels provided 38.5 per cent. Offshore and onshore wind accounted for 24.2 per cent in the renewables share: offshore wind 13 per cent and onshore wind 11.2 per cent. Low carbon sources, including renewables and nuclear power, together generated 59 per cent of the UK’s electricity in 2020, according to the figures in the latest Energy Trends report published by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).

Courtesy of Renewable Energy Outperforms Fossil Fuels in UK
That is UK average, EDF areis in a better position https://speed.energybrokers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/EDFenergymix.png

EDF prides itself on being a carbon neutral company, by the high usage of nuclear energy.
They are my supplier and have rocketed the price of my energy.
Strange when you consider it is costing the same now to produce electricity from nuclear source, as it did a few months ago and yet they have increased their prices massively?.
And there’s me thinking 🤔 it was all to do with the whole sale price of gas that had caused the increase ?.
Mind you, EDF are a French company and we all know how go our relationship with them is right now !.
Can we trade some fishing rights for cheaper energy do you think 💭.
Maybe something it that story !,

Unfortunately your meter cannot distinguish electrons from any particular supplier, as you are of course aware.
We are in the UK and therefore the the figures for the UK generation apply. The French have made much more use of nuclear power for donkeys years, but how much of that comes through the cable under the channel (when it's working !) is debatable.

EDF prides itself on being a carbon neutral company, by the high usage of nuclear energy.
They are my supplier and have rocketed the price of my energy.
Strange when you consider it is costing the same now to produce electricity from nuclear source, as it did a few months ago and yet they have increased their prices massively?.
And there’s me thinking 🤔 it was all to do with the whole sale price of gas that had caused the increase ?.
Mind you, EDF are a French company and we all know how go our relationship with them is right now !.
Can we trade some fishing rights for cheaper energy do you think 💭.
Maybe something it that story !,
How can you blame EDF for being French when all UK energy suppliers are at it? EDF don't care about fish or immigration, they care about making money.

Hi,

Has anyone had any updated Go Faster tariffs from Octopus recently? Our contract with them ends in early Jan and I was wondering what they are offering at the moment. This is the Go Faster 5 hour tariff as opposed to the regular 4 hour tariff.

thanks - Rob
Martin Lewis, the Money Saving Expert says "do nothing!" The market is volatile and will likely be for a while so do nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Martin Lewis, the Money Saving Expert says "do nothing!" The market is volatile and will likely be for a while so do nothing.
I know Martin Lewis has told people "DO NOTHING".
But if your contract has ended with your current energy provider and they have massively increased the price of your new standard rate tariff's.
But if the Octopus Go tariff is cheaper than the tariff of your current provider, then why is right to still "DO NOTHING" ?.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom