Octopus Go prices have gone up again

Gomev

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
New tariff in place now Octopus Go March 2022 v1.

In Yorkshire rate is now 33.96p/kWh and daily SC 48.26p

You can check in your own area here

just enter your postcode (DO NOT click on get quote) it will load up all available tariffs.
Easier to find if you filter by smart/fixed/domestic

Yep, one of the triggers for me looking at a solar PV install.
Worked out that paying for it by increasing the mortgage would work out at roughly the same as our bill will increase by, and that will only get more economical as the years go by.

I got my renewal quote a few days ago:

renewal.JPG

New tariff in place now Octopus Go March 2022 v1.

In Yorkshire rate is now 33.96p/kWh and daily SC 48.26p

You can check in your own area here

just enter your postcode (DO NOT click on get quote) it will load up all available tariffs.
Easier to find if you filter by smart/fixed/domestic
My postcode (Bedfordshire) got the following - day 42.7p, night 27.6, standing charge 37.74

That's Go Faster, Go is cheaper marginally (scroll a bit further) but only 4 hours overnight at a set immovable time.

Using an MK postcode gives daytime rate 35.11 standing charge 37.65p.

Last edited:
I was waiting for my MG5 to turn up before switching, wish I'd switched a few months ago now when it was 5p off peak 😭

I'm in the transitional period waiting for Octopus to add me on to Go, so fingers crossed they add me at the tariff that was agreed before the price hike!
Unlikely after the 1st of April increases.
Anybody not currently on a FIX price tariff, is going to be affected I think.
All of the energy suppliers computer serves collapsed yesterday, when people where trying to access their accounts to submit meter readings.
Trying to draw a line in the sand, with regards to their billing structure pre / post increase in the price cap.
Martin Lewis has come in for some criticism over suggesting this is what some bill payers should do !.
It’s not like the energy firms did not see this coming ?.
Many trying to increase the cost of peoples direct debit amounts way above the cost of the 53% increase, in order to generate more revenue.
Blood suckers !.

The advice had people on fixed tarrifs and smart meters submiting readings they didnt need to.

Upping direct debits to significantly higher than they need to be is despicable. I've been creeping mine up despite being on a fixed tariff as I know in August I'm in for a serious wake up call.

There's another price cap change due in October as well so for the foreseeable future prices will keep going up.
BBC News - Warning of fresh energy bill shock in October as prices rise again

There's another price cap change due in October as well so for the foreseeable future prices will keep going up.
BBC News - Warning of fresh energy bill shock in October as prices rise again
Martin Lewis has a feeling we are looking at least another 20% increase in October !.
How do they expect young family's to be able to afford this type of price hike ?.
Increased energy prices drives up the cost of everything !.
Folks living in care homes etc, will be seeing the cost of their care increase drastically.
Also, people who need medical equipment running at home, which they totally rely on day after day, don't have the option to turn the machines off to save on the cost.
The UK ( like other countries ) have become far to dependant on others providing our energy needs.
All our energy plants where sold off and assist stripped years ago.
Look where we are now !.

I got my renewal quote a few days ago:

View attachment 7667
Standing charge is now a real killer.

Did mine with a speculative email in Feb and very, very fortunately my current deal extended till 23/4/23.

I imagine when it runs out the price increase will hurt, a lot. We will probably get some battery storage to go with current solar array to help cushion that blow 🙄

I'm in Northern Ireland with Power NI. Here's our tariffs as of today, 1st April 22. No change as far as I can tell...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-04-01-23-05-18-694_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-04-01-23-05-18-694_com.android.chrome.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 129
In case anyone is interested I've just calculated that in order for me to save any money now by switching to octopus go I'd have to charge my MG5 for at least 6 hours per week (approx. 150 miles). This is based on the following:

Yearly consumption excluding charging: 6000kWh

Total cost including charging for 6 hours per week on current variable rate: £3376

Total cost including charging for 6 hours per week on new Octopus Go rate: £3351

(Last week I only needed 4 hours charge per week to save money. Should have switched then but hindsight is a wonderful thing!)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom