Octopus - Octoplus savings

Gomev

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Octopus have introduced Octoplus, the new name for the Savings sessions has appeared on my home screen of my account on the website
Opt in provided you are on Octopus and have half hourly readings
In addition to saving electricity sessions it looks like there will be free electricity, or at least the possibility as well, plus collecting all those Octopoints. Opt-in bonus of 500 points plus spin the wheel for points.
Haven't seen it on my app yet.

They seem to be copying British Gas who are providing free charging for a year if you have a Hive Charger, British Gas account (does not have to be an EV tariff) and smart meters.

Good new travels :)(y)

I’m on Octopus Agile so was curious to see if it is in effect a cut down version of Agile.

I wonder if the free electricity periods will be the same as Agile.
Last year before I moved to Agile I took part in their energy saving sessions and saved pennies.

Post edited to correct a mistake - You can opt in to Octoplus even if you are on Agile

Last edited:
They seem to be copying British Gas who are providing free charging for a year if you have a Hive Charger, British Gas account (does not have to be an EV tariff) and smart meters.

Good new travels :)(y)
No, they dont, they did this last year too.

Octopus reward users for reducing their energy use during peak grid demands to help balance the grid and when there's an excess of power they give it to the users free.

Totally different to the BG offering which is to compensate their unfortunate customers due to their terrible service and performance.

Last edited:
I’m on Octopus Agile so was curious to see if it is in effect a cut down version of Agile. It isn’t until para 54 of the terms and conditions that it states, not surprisingly, that those on smart tariffs are not eligible for this new scheme.

I wonder if the free electricity periods will be the same as Agile.
Last year before I moved to Agile I took part in their energy saving sessions and saved pennies.
Ummm, what terms are you reading?!
The FAQ says smart tariffs are included.

Does anyone know, if you need notifications on to know when the bonus electricity is active ?
They email.

From the Octoplus FAQs

Free electricity when the grid is greenest​

Yup you heard us right. We will let you know anywhere from a few hours to a day ahead when the Free Electricity Sessions will happen via email, you let us know you’re taking part by clicking the opt in button in the email and use as much energy as you can (safely) during the session, we will then credit this back to your Octopus balance.

Get paid to use less energy when the grid is dirtiest in Saving Sessions​

700,000 customers took part last winter and reduced their electricity usage in over a dozen sessions. We'll let you know the time of the session from a few hours to a day before, you use less electricity and we will pay you in Octopoints as a Thank You.

Last year an email was sent for saving sessions, hopefully it wilĺ be the same this year anď not just on the app.

Octopus have been trialling free electricity with power ups for users in Kent & East Anglia: Octopus Power-ups | Free green electricity in East England

They generally email about 5pm the night before and all you have to do is confirm you want to opt in. They then credit my account a couple of weeks later - which you need to remember when you get the bill!! I'm currently in the middle of a three hour power up, so obviously the car is charging 😁

Thanks. Picked up 1300 points to go with the 12,000 I already had from the savings sessions.

They've implied (again) they'll offer other options than account credit in exchange for the points..

If you have a Givbattery might be worth sigup to this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231103-174033_AOL.jpg
    Screenshot_20231103-174033_AOL.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom