Off peak charging

Mick Evans

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Can't believe no one is offering off peak charging deals at the minute. I know electric price tariffs are still going to change but surely someone must be doing off peak electric?

Octopus are still doing the Go tariff.
Off Peak is currently 7.5p/kWh.

Aren't EDF offering their go 35 package?
You will need to call Octopus as their won't do it on their web page.

Aren't EDF offering their go 35 package?
Yes they are !.
I am a EDF customer and I have been chasing them for weeks, after our old fixed deal ended and we where dumped onto a variable rate tariff.
They started reopening up the “Go EV” 35 tariff about 2 - 3 weeks ago.
These tariff rates are now set at post 1st April price cap increase of course, so the day rate and gas prices have risen a LOT of course.
They have a few offerings, but the “Go 35” tariff is the cheapest “Off Peak” rate at 4.5 p / KWh.
It gives you cheap rate between 1.00am and 6.00am ( 5 hours ) every night.
They are offering a fixed rate tariff until 2023.
There is two other tariffs, that offer more off peak hours, but the tariff rises to 8.5p / KWh and even higher if you want all weekend !.
I guess you have to work out your usage, to see what tariff works best for you ?.
We have gone for the “Go 35” tariff to get the cheapest “Off Peak” and then tried to move as much usage, into that window now.
We had the DNO here a couple of weeks ago, to upgrade our main cut out fuse, from 60 Amps to 100 Amps.
Sliding as many electrical items in to that cheap rate five hour window.
After 20 years of heating our hot water with a gas boiler, we have now switched out to heating the water, with the emersion heater.
Who would have thought heating water with electric is now cheaper ( Off Peak usage via a timer switch ) than gas !.
Washing machine has a built in timer, so that is also getting used in the cheap rate window.
You have to take full advantage of that window of opportunity !.
On some occasions, the car is charging while the water is getting heated and the washing machine is doing its job.
Hence the reason for the fuse upgrade.

Yes they are !.
I am a EDF customer and I have been chasing them for weeks, after our old fixed deal ended and we where dumped onto a variable rate tariff.
They started reopening up the “Go EV” 35 tariff about 2 - 3 weeks ago.
These tariff rates are now set at post 1st April price cap increase of course, so the day rate and gas prices have risen a LOT of course.
They have a few offerings, but the “Go 35” tariff is the cheapest “Off Peak” rate at 4.5 p / KWh.
It gives you cheap rate between 1.00am and 6.00am ( 5 hours ) every night.
They are offering a fixed rate tariff until 2023.
There is two other tariffs, that offer more off peak hours, but the tariff rises to 8.5p / KWh and even higher if you want all weekend !.
I guess you have to work out your usage, to see what tariff works best for you ?.
We have gone for the “Go 35” tariff to get the cheapest “Off Peak” and then tried to move as much usage, into that window now.
We had the DNO here a couple of weeks ago, to upgrade our main cut out fuse, from 60 Amps to 100 Amps.
Sliding as many electrical items in to that cheap rate five hour window.
After 20 years of heating our hot water with a gas boiler, we have now switched out to heating the water, with the emersion heater.
Who would have thought heating water with electric is now cheaper ( Off Peak usage via a timer switch ) than gas !.
Washing machine has a built in timer, so that is also getting used in the cheap rate window.
You have to take full advantage of that window of opportunity !.
On some occasions, the car is charging while the water is getting heated and the washing machine is doing its job.
Hence the reason for the fuse upgrade.
Thanks for that. I will ring them tomorrow.

I have just had a look at the rates for EDF, yes 4.5p for 5 hour off peak but just under 45p for peak rate and daily rate plus £300 exit fee

I have just had a look at the rates for EDF, yes 4.5p for 5 hour off peak but just under 45p for peak rate and daily rate plus £300 exit fee
This is very true, I am edging my bets and listening to the chatter from the likes of Martin Lewis, who has predicted another 25 - 30% energy price increase in Oct / Nov 22.
Only time will tell if it was the right decision I guess ????.
We all need a crystal ball !!.

Octopus Go works out (for an average household) cheaper as long as you charge for approx. 6 hours per week at cheap rate.

If you lock in now and prices do go up in September then you won't even need to charge to be better off.

Octopus Go works out (for an average household) cheaper as long as you charge for approx. 6 hours per week at cheap rate.

If you lock in now and prices do go up in September then you won't even need to charge to be better off.
Prices are fixed until 2023 on the EDF deal I am on.
The regulating body has said this morning, that they are switching there reviewing time from every 6 months to every 3 months.
That indicates energy price increases are more likely 🥲

I'm also on the EDF deal, but the 98 one for me (98 hrs cheap rate per week). EDF allow unlimited switches between their different Go packages, so for example use the Go 35 during the summer months and the Go 98 in the winter months. Mine is fixed until June 2024.
For me, the EDF deal works out cheaper than the Octopus deal - I run dehumidifiers and underfloor heating for long periods in the winter months.

I'm also on the EDF deal, but the 98 one for me (98 hrs cheap rate per week). EDF allow unlimited switches between their different Go packages, so for example use the Go 35 during the summer months and the Go 98 in the winter months. Mine is fixed until June 2024.
For me, the EDF deal works out cheaper than the Octopus deal - I run dehumidifiers and underfloor heating for long periods in the winter months.
What about the massively higher gas price? As well as the massively higher day rate now? 45p/unit if I’m not mistaken? Mentally expensive!

Everybody’s usage case will be totally different, no two people usage will be the same.
What is right for one, will be useless for another.
@rpannell is on a fix until June 24 which is a LONG way off !.
The energy market is shifting faster than quick sand at the moment.
Who thought this time last year, we would be paying another 54% MORE for our energy than the previous year - NOBODY !.
We are importing liquid gas from the USA because of the situation in the Ukraine.
No wonder the prices have shot up.
Only time will tell I guess really !.
I don’t think 💭 some people have fully grasped just how expensive this increase is likely to affect them just yet.
All the talk on the news about energy price increase etc.
I do think some people have blocked it out / dismissed it for now.
E.G. - “It’s okay, we are heading into the Summer now, so we will not be using as much gas etc in the summer months”.
Some customer accounts are only looked at about twice a year if you are lucky, by most energy companies.
Therefore, some people have not really seen this so called huge increase on their bills yet.
Wait until they increase the prices again in Oct / Nov 2022.
I don’t think it will really hit home until they start receiving a statement in early 2023.
This COULD include two increases, that could total increase of almost 90% !.
Direct debit demands are likely to double, if not more, to help clear the arrears IMHO.
The forecasters are predicting a fall of 12% in energy prices in 2024 but they do openly admit, that this is a long way away !.
We have said a total goodbye 👋 to any cheap energy prices for a long time.

What about the massively higher gas price? As well as the massively higher day rate now? 45p/unit if I’m not mistaken? Mentally expensive!
It's all about horses for courses. In my case, on the Go 98 tariff, I only use 2KWh of daytime electricity but around 16KWh of cheap rate. The cheap Octopus tariff may sound cheaper but works out more expensive for me due to the limited off-peak times. Fortunately, no gas and my day rate is 38.6p

It's all about horses for courses. In my case, on the Go 98 tariff, I only use 2KWh of daytime electricity but around 16KWh of cheap rate. The cheap Octopus tariff may sound cheaper but works out more expensive for me due to the limited off-peak times. Fortunately, no gas and my day rate is 38.6p
Fully electric house then? What heating system do you have? And hot water? Ill be picking your brains on those soon if ok? :) Battery storage too? Yeah it all depends on your own usage - I’ve done calculations and calculations, as well as comparisons and comparisons on my usage patterns etc, and Octopus is best for me - especially as I have gas as well - you have to look at the whole picture (not speaking directly to you, but to anyone reading this :) ).

And is your day rate your standing charge, or the price per kWh…as I beleive it is closer to 45p/kWh now for anyone signing up now - which would probably make octopus a bit cheaper overall. But as I said, it all depends on individual usage and will differ from person to person :)

just found this which is the up to date edf prices - which is crazy really.

My day rate is much cheaper (by about 30%) & my night rate is cheaper by about 60% - I know that you have longer hours, but I’m able to shift the majority of my usage into the four hours I have, which brings my average price per kWh down to about 12p. Looking at this chart, new customers with go electric 98 won’t be able to get their average price below 22p.

It’s all about the average price per kWh and peoples own usage :)

Attachments

• 76BE0A59-3B9C-4F63-93E6-A9E36D1F0AEC.jpeg
    76BE0A59-3B9C-4F63-93E6-A9E36D1F0AEC.jpeg
    644.2 KB · Views: 106
I opted for the "Go 35" tariff because the low 4.5p/Kwh 5 hour "Off Peak" window, suit's our usage package.
Sliding as much as we can into that 5 hour window.
Car charging / washing machine / water heating via an emission heater etc etc.
A recent 100Amp main cut out fuse upgrade by our DNO has facilitated these high load items running at the same time.

Fully electric house then? What heating system do you have? And hot water?
I have oil heating and an oil aga plus wood burning stoves. Because of the aga, I don't have an electric kettle or toaster so the only daytime electric use is fridge/freezer and internet. The electric underfloor heating for the bathrooms are timed to only come on during the 98 hrs of cheap rate electricity, as are the dehumidifiers.
I changed to the EDF Go 98 rate in February when the cheap rate was 16p and the expensive was 38.6p / kWh. This was still almost twice the price I had been paying (9p & 21.5p).
For me, the Octopus Go rate worked out slightly more expensive but a lot more inconvenient.
The other reason that Go98 works for me is because I don't have a 7KW charger and rely on the granny charger.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom