Offside passenger door won’t open

RalphsMG

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
the passenger door on the drivers side won’t open there’s no click as you pull the handle unlike the other side. Just wondering if anyone has had this.

Does it not open from the inside or out?
Have you locked and unlocked the car a couple of times?

Ok long shot....have you got child lock activated on the door, and the electric child lock for the windows switched on.

No sadly.I’ve taken it to my local dealer who were very good and its going to be booked in for a new door handle. Apparently I’m the first one they’ve seen so hopefully a freak problem .

Unusual problem. Let's hope they soon get a handle on it 🥱
Oh No Eye Roll GIF by Aardman Animations

No sadly.I’ve taken it to my local dealer who were very good and its going to be booked in for a new door handle. Apparently I’m the first one they’ve seen so hopefully a freak problem .
Another owner had a problem with one of the outside door handles on his car, which getting it replaced, turned into a bit of a ordeal !.
It would appear, that the external replacement door handles are NOT coloured coded and come in standard base primmer.
This means the dealer has to colour the handle PIOR to installing of course.
When you go to the dealer, ask them to check the facts and the allow the handle to arrive first.
Then get them to check if the handle needs painting in body colour FIRST.
THEN book the car in for the handle to be replaced after paint.
All will be clear after watching the owners video.
It may save you a lot of wasted time.

After watching the depressing video i checked mine and the bottom half is indeed body coloured

After watching the depressing video i checked mine and the bottom half is indeed body coloured
Just thought 💭 it may give you the “Head’s Up” and save you a couple of trips to the dealership Ralph !.
Replacing the handle is a quick and plainly process, it would appear getting it coloured ( in the correct shade ) is the issue here.
MG only offer the car in about four colour choices, why can’t the handles be offered in body colour ?.
I know it is cheaper to have them in stock as basic primmer, but the labour cost for getting then colour coded is going to be both expensive and long winded !.
Something that could be done with rattle cans by the owner out of warranty I guess.
Pity that the bottom half of the body coloured section is not removable and could be switched over, a bit like door mirror caps ?.
I though the door handle colour match on the car in the video was POOR.
That would send my OCD through the roof !.

Mine are definitely chrome all over.
Is this an Excite/Exclusive difference then?
And mine (Excite) are body-coloured all over. Makes you wonder how good their version control processes are doesn't it??

Just a heads up in my case I booked it into the dealership to investigate but after about a week of being unable to open the door I’d resolved to try to fix it and from inside the car i tried to open the door and it worked and has done ever since then don’t ask me how. But I’m sure if it wasn’t the case it should be a warranty job 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom