Ohme Home Pro 3.8kW max charge

MonsterMonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Has anyone had the same problem as me in that my Ohme Home Pro only gets to 3.8kW charging without the house drawing any other power?

Usually I've had to unlock the car, unplug, lock, unlock plug in, lock and then it would get to 7kW.

When I got the charger I inadvertently turned on load balancing and this gave the same result of low charging. I turned load balancing off and it worked at 7kW.

Its almost as if load balancing is back on again. I can't remember how to check this but I'll have a look on the threads here somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got into settings (hold three buttons for 10 secs), confirmed amp at 32A, load balancing not set (pressed disable anyhow). Charger restarted, unlocked car plugged in, locked and max charge. Still only gets to 3.8kw. One difference is that max charge screen is red with a lot more info including charging at 15.7A. Previously I didn't get this red screen and info.

Grief!

Just seen this on Ohme site...
"Your vehicle may include a setting to adjust the rate of charge. This affects the speed at which the battery can be charged. If the rate of charge has been reduced in your vehicle, this will result in Ohme charging your battery at a slower speed. For maximum speed, you should choose the highest rate of charge your vehicle provides. Please refer to your manufacturer’s handbook for more information. Please note, the Ohme charger will not allow the car to draw more current than the Ohme charger is programmed for. The number of Amps Ohme has been programmed from can be seen in the centre of the charger display. Please see ‘Understanding the Display Screen’."

Is anyone aware if the MG5 has a configurable charge rate limit?

Okay, I've just finished speaking with a very helpful lady at Ohme and checked all settings and it would appear that the car is limiting the charge. She mentioned that she has an MG and on 5kw lamp AC charger it slows at around 20 miles from 100%. Mine seems to be worse with soc 60% and 125 miles (from memory). Currently 70% 134 miles. Wife said it was at 7kw when first plugged in at about 2pm. Ohme has suggested running down to 40%, jump onto another 7kw charger and see what rates I get.

Last week end I jumped on to a Tesco 7kw charger. After one hour it only charged from 60% to 63% so I suspect this problem has been around for a while.

Also it has been queried as to whether the MG had had its update which it hasn't. So MG update is booked and take it from there.

Have you phoned Ohme as their technical support is great.
Sorry just read your last post i didn't realise they were all yours.
Haven't had or heard of a charging issue but they are at 6.6kwh

Last edited:
I don't believe the MG5 has any available updates besides the kers brake light one. Is your Ohme a tethered charger? Otherwise it might be a type 2 cable issue if you're using it on your Ohme and at Tesco!

"When I got the charger I inadvertently turned on load balancing and this gave the same result of low charging. I turned load balancing off and it worked at 7kw."

Sounds to me like your load balancing wasn't installed or installed properly.

Why don't you call the installer back if you don't think it's working properly?

I don't believe the MG5 has any available updates besides the kers brake light one. Is your Ohme a tethered charger? Otherwise it might be a type 2 cable issue if you're using it on your Ohme and at Tesco!
The charger is tethered and I've a separate cable for out and about.

"When I got the charger I inadvertently turned on load balancing and this gave the same result of low charging. I turned load balancing off and it worked at 7kw."

Sounds to me like your load balancing wasn't installed or installed properly.

Why don't you call the installer back if you don't think it's working properly?
I just thought it better talking direct to ohme. If they think it's the charger then I'll get the installer to fix it. I'll test the charging elsewhere to see if the problem follows the car.

Last edited:
Not sure whether this is helpful, but I have the mobile ohme unit on a commando socket. I plug in at work and charge. I noticed that it was only charging at 6 kwh after ramping up to 7 when starting. As you have to put the model of car you have into the app, I thought I'd change it as my wife has a Zoe and that always charges at 7. No problems changing the car in the app, now it charges at 7kwh or 31 and a bit amps.

Well, the car is charging at 7kw two days in a row. The only change made was turning off the "Optimize for battery life" option within the Ohme app. However, normal charging only resumed on Saturday after this change on Friday.

glad you solved it.
My Ohme home pro was originally faulty and never load balanced - when load balancing was enabled it only defaulted to the 16amp option (which is does when LB is faulty).
The ohme customer support was faultless and they decided to swap the whole unit including the CT clamp.
What i did notice was that between the old unit and the new unit (which works great) - there is def a change in behaviour, its a softer start to ramp up to 7kw, so i suspect a firmware change on the units along the line!

id suggest if your load balancer doesnt work that you do mention it to them. even if you dont need LB to work at the moment it may be a symptom of something else!

Just got into settings (hold three buttons for 10 secs), confirmed amp at 32A, load balancing not set (pressed disable anyhow). Charger restarted, unlocked car plugged in, locked and max charge. Still only gets to 3.8kw. One difference is that max charge screen is red with a lot more info including charging at 15.7A. Previously I didn't get this red screen and info.

Grief!
Hi, forgive me for resurrecting an old thread, but this message is the only thing I've found relevant to what I'm trying to find out.

I'm thinking of getting a Home Pro, which I'd like to be able to run at eg 10A during the summer, so that the car can charge mainly off our solar panels. Our charging point is quite a very way from the house so not simple to do a load balancing clamp.

In winter when solar production is minimal I'd like to increase the max output for faster charging.

Is this possible through the settings menu as mentioned above?

Thanks, Luke

If you get a Zappi you can add a Harvi which has three CT clamp for battery or solar and talks to the Zappi

I wish I'd gone for the Zappi as I'm replacing my dead ImmerSun with one from the makers of Zappi. I was drawn to the Ohme thinking the display screen would be handy but I've not used it in 10 months as it's a faff, can't see the screen in sunlight and the app is easier to use.

I'm considering the Ohme because of its support from Octopus.

MonsterMonster do you recall if it's possible to set the max output current from settings?

Thanks, Luke

I'm considering the Ohme because of its support from Octopus.

MonsterMonster do you recall if it's possible to set the max output current from settings?

Thanks, Luke
From vague memory possibly yes under the load balancing feature. But I have a feeling that it only implements the max when it detects additional drawing of current to the house.

I might be misunderstanding, but wouldn't it only output the max if there was no or low draw from the house?

Just wondering what it would do if no clamp detector is present 🤔

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom