Oil Drops Under Transmission

Peter WA

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
First time I had a look underneath my ZS EV I saw what is documented in the photo: oil drops clinging to the underside of the transmission.

That sure got my heart racing! My ICE car didn't do that for the first 17 years of its life...

But when I found no oil spots on the garage floor that got me thinking: I can't completely rule out that some oil was spilled and slowly made it's way to the lowest point underneath. Either, when the transmission was originally filled at the factory (although to see it so clean and dust-free after 6000km would be a surprise), or maybe when I went for the 1 month courtesy check-up very recently (no idea if they check transmission oil levels then).

I decided to wipe off the oil for now and see if it comes back. If it comes back: my first warranty claim.

Questions for you all:
Did anyone else have a transmission oil leak on a ZS EV?
And more general: if it goes in for a warranty repair, what would be the correct approach? Should they install a new transmission, or can a leak like that reliably be fixed by installing a new seal?

Attachments

• IMG_20210507_092148.jpg
    IMG_20210507_092148.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 260
I’d go to your dealer, show them the picture and ask them to inspect as you have no idea how much fluid has leaked or what the cause is. It also registers with them that you’ve notified about a potential fault in case something more sever happens.

As for the repair - depends on what the problem is.

First time I had a look underneath my ZS EV I saw what is documented in the photo: oil drops clinging to the underside of the transmission.

That sure got my heart racing! My ICE car didn't do that for the first 17 years of its life...

But when I found no oil spots on the garage floor that got me thinking: I can't completely rule out that some oil was spilled and slowly made it's way to the lowest point underneath. Either, when the transmission was originally filled at the factory (although to see it so clean and dust-free after 6000km would be a surprise), or maybe when I went for the 1 month courtesy check-up very recently (no idea if they check transmission oil levels then).

I decided to wipe off the oil for now and see if it comes back. If it comes back: my first warranty claim.

Questions for you all:
And more general: if it goes in for a warranty repair, what would be the correct approach? Should they install a new transmission, or can a leak like that reliably be fixed by installing a new seal?
Hi Peter, we had a very minute amount of oil come out the breather on the top of the transmission. I noticed it just after I done a road trip on a very hot day running the SOC low. When I stopped to charge all the electrical cooling gear was running flat out so I assumed it had just released a little oil when hot. That was 4 months ago and never had any further oil appear or issue. Hope that helps.

Questions for you all:

Questions for you all:
If you find something the dealer will be happy to check it over they get paid from the manufacture dealers need money coming in so they will be happy to help.
They will chech allntge boktvarevat the right torque setting that the fluid levels are ok never worry about going the dealer,
Just ge polite friendly and they will help you its good to buikd up a rapour with your service department.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom