OK - now I’m confused...first a tax, now a subsidy??🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

TassiedEVil

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’m not one to grumble about a government subsidy but this one has caught me by surprise! Nice for Victorians - will be interesting to see whether any or all of the other states follow. Not quite the current German level of AU $9950 but better than nothing.
The small print under the top photo is relevant for us.

They had hinted that the road user tax was one component of a bigger program, but why on earth they didn't publicise this earlier is crazy. Makes me think maybe they were waiting to see what could be gotten away with. Hopefully this will kickstart true incentives in other states (given up on feds).

As for the caption I can't work out how they get that figure - that would mean there's $14,000 road taxes!

They had hinted that the road user tax was one component of a bigger program, but why on earth they didn't publicise this earlier is crazy. Makes me think maybe they were waiting to see what could be gotten away with. Hopefully this will kickstart true incentives in other states (given up on feds).

As for the caption I can't work out how they get that figure - that would mean there's $14,000 road taxes!
Yeah, that’s a bit of a mystery calculation...

Talk of TAX, I thought the DVLA vehicle tax reminder was a complete bureaucracy madness.
It is your responsibility to make sure the vehicle is taxed, even if don't pay a fee for the vehicle?
I change my number plate to a private one which I own from my last car and paid the £80 for the transfer. Yet they could get that right to. So for the last year I have been using the wrong number plate! Which I informed of them and did correct the error. However I see on the check line, I have now two number plates for the same car!

The subsidy, supposedly was introduced to alleviate pressure from cross benches and public outcry in regards to the draconian EV road tax. (The tax to replace the fuel excise lost from EV use to pay for roads building/maintenance.....which aren't even funded from fuel excise taxes....straight up lies from the labor MPs).

The subsidy is small win, and would take a few years (+8yrs depending on distance travelled) to pay off the subsidy.

It's a meek gesture from the State Labor Govt but it will be interesting to see how the initial allocation is taken up. As it'll be reviewed after this initial period. If there is little interest, the subsidy may increase or the cap limit may be bumped up. They have $100M package to play with to get the balance right.

Also don't forget the $100 reduced rego fee.....pfft.

Selfishly, I want to see as many incentives as possible as I get ready to buy my first EV but the benefit to encourage the transition is paramount. The tax is ludicrous but the subsidy is welcomed but pitiful to be honest.

Combine the Vic Govt, with the ACT govt incentives for EVs (no stamp duty, 2 yrs free car rego, interest free loans) to assist with early EV adoption. Along with other examples other governments have implemented.

Definition Of TAX. A compulsory state revenue levied by the Government.
Since there is NO road tax on electric cars, the only benefit I can see is employing more personnel within DVLA shuffling unnecessary paper work around at the tax payer expense!

Definition Of TAX. A compulsory state revenue levied by the Government.
Since there is NO road tax on electric cars, the only benefit I can see is employing more personnel within DVLA shuffling unnecessary paper work around at the tax payer expense!
No road tax will not last for ever.

No road tax will not last for ever.
But it only seems to change for newly registered cars.
For example, my 2016 Prius was zero VED and in the following year, 2017, new Priuses had to start paying £130 a year, mine remained £0.

I would agree the free road TAX for electric cars want last for ever. But like typical Governments when they have got you draw into like diesel was cheaper than petrol then hit you with a tax increase. So far as the heathy environments issues goes, they do not count for much, it all about getting your money under false misleading campaign words!

For example, my 2016 Prius was zero VED and in the following year, 2017, new Priuses had to start paying £130 a year, mine remained £0.
fingers crossed :)

hi kithmo it was one of those buget changes that happed 18months before .aprip 2017

hi kithmo it was one of those buget changes that happed 18months before .aprip 2017
Hi micky, not sure what you mean by 18 months before ?
My Prius was registered March 2016, 13 months before the VED change in the budget.

My Prius was registered March 2016, 13 months before the VED change in the budget.hi

My Prius was registered March 2016, 13 months before the VED change in the budget.
hi kithmo what was ment was in a buget 18months before april2017 it was set that any new cars purchased after april2017 would pay the new rate but cars before that date would pay the old rate,like our 2nd car is a mokka x so still cheap rate (66 plate)but if i traded it to a newer model say 2020 i would need to pay the much higher rate,

hi kithmo what was ment was in a buget 18months before april2017 it was set that any new cars purchased after april2017 would pay the new rate but cars before that date would pay the old rate,like our 2nd car is a mokka x so still cheap rate (66 plate)but if i traded it to a newer model say 2020 i would need to pay the much higher rate,
Ah, got it. I just didn't remember them announcing it 18 months before, they usually drop things like this on us without warning. ;)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom