One shot windows and sensitive keys

Norfolk Enchance

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
  • Locked car last night at 17:00 when I arrived at home
  • Went to plug in car at 11:45 just before I retired for the evening
  • Horrified to see all the widows down and the inside of the car covered in snow, I mean covered!!!
  • Spent half an hour in the dark with a series of towels trying to remove as much snow and moisture as possible
  • Up at first light repeating the process and even now the car is still wet inside
Lessons learn't.
  • Don't leave keys in pockets where you can inadvertently push the unlock button sufficiently to lower all the windows
  • Don't purchase a car with "perforated" seats as the water, once in, cannot easily get out
  • Hang the key where it cannot be activated
  • Read the manual. If I had realised the key can lower all the windows I may not still be trying to dry out the car

That sux mate. I hope you are able to dry out the car in due time. At least you should be able to run the heaters full whack and recharge the car at the same time (perhaps)

That sux mate. I hope you are able to dry out the car in due time. At least you should be able to run the heaters full whack and recharge the car at the same time (perhaps)
Tried mother nature, with all doors and tail hatch open. Didn't want too much condensation. If it's dry tomorrow then I'll repeat the process. May try the heated seats.

What key combination do you press on the remote to lower all the windows?
... I can't seem to do it on ZS EV... So might be specific to mg5

Last edited:
  • Locked car last night at 17:00 when I arrived at home
  • Went to plug in car at 11:45 just before I retired for the evening
  • Horrified to see all the widows down and the inside of the car covered in snow, I mean covered!!!
  • Spent half an hour in the dark with a series of towels trying to remove as much snow and moisture as possible
  • Up at first light repeating the process and even now the car is still wet inside
Lessons learn't.
  • Don't leave keys in pockets where you can inadvertently push the unlock button sufficiently to lower all the windows
  • Don't purchase a car with "perforated" seats as the water, once in, cannot easily get out
  • Hang the key where it cannot be activated
  • Read the manual. If I had realised the key can lower all the windows I may not still be trying to dry out the car
Something like that happened with my Passat. My in-laws apartment was above their parking.

I was sat around watch TV. The next morning we went down to parking an all the Windows were half way down. I thought it had been broken into but nothing was touched. I was worried it might be an electrical fault but it never happened again.

I was always aware from then on not to squash my keys.

What key combination do you press on the remote to lower all the windows?
... I can't seem to do it on nine
I believe only the MG5 has this feature and not the MG ZS EV.

You hold down the open button for a few seconds and it lowers all the windows. It's great on a hot summers day when returning to the car.

If you hold down lock it will close all the windows.

Also, a double press of the lock button will put the hazards on and sound the horn in short beeps to help you find your car (or scare the neighbours cat). You can change whether or not the horn sounds in the car settings.

Do you have access to a household dehumidifier? Most effective way to sort out a damp car, stick it in for a day or so.

Had the exact same thing happen Friday after picking the car up, came outside to find all the windows down but luckily it was in a break from the rain and before the snow. You have my sympathy because it's so easy to do, i don't suppose it's something you can disable in the settings.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom