Opening tailgate with car 'on'

ajw1100

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Seems the tailgate will not open if the car is ready to drive. Wife tried to open tailgate while I was in the car with the car live, dash and info systems in operation, it would not open. I tried the button on the console, nope. Tried the lock button on the door, nope. Hit the start button so the car was off. Tried the console button, tailgate opened.
I can understand if the car was actually moving, but when stationary seems a bit OTT.

Seems the tailgate will not open if the car is ready to drive. Wife tried to open tailgate while I was in the car with the car live, dash and info systems in operation, it would not open. I tried the button on the console, nope. Tried the lock button on the door, nope. Hit the start button so the car was off. Tried the console button, tailgate opened.
I can understand if the car was actually moving, but when stationary seems a bit OTT.
Hi
In ready if the car is in park the tailgate will open but will not in when in drive.

All the systems can be ready, but the car must have the parking brake engaged i.e. press the P button. The tailgate will then work. As soon as Drive or Reverse is selected, the tailgate is locked shut.

This is sensible as if the car is in Drive or Reverse and being held on the footbrake, any release of the brake will allow the car to move creating a potential hazard.

Turning the systems off by pressing Start will engage the parking brake automatically.

This is how mine works and it seems logical.

Thanks guy's I was so used to my old car that allowed the tailgate and doors to be released and so able to be opened from outside after I hit the unlock button, car held on foot brake I assumed this would be the same!

I found, once only once never tested it again, if the tailgate is closing and you engage drive it stops closing. So got home and found the tailgate half open, luckily it was about two hundred meters down the road, I had stopped at the shop just before I got home just in case anybody thought I was a lazy git 😂 but I do just like driving my HS PHEV sad I know 😁

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom