Ouch ! M6 Toll gave me a 'present' last night

NewMG4me

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Driving up the M6 Toll last night in the dark/rain. Overtook a lorry and just as I pulled back into lane 1 saw something in the road but it was too late. Not sure exactly what it was but on dashcam footage it looks like a suitcase of some description.

Damage doesnt look bad from the front but looking underneath :oops:
IMG_8770.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8773.jpg
    IMG_8773.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 272
Yup - I am hoping its just a replacement front protection plate. Its in the garage on Wed anyway (for R46 update, fingers crossed) so will get them to check. Waiting to see what its going to cost me as its a Lease through work so not sure of the excess.

Yup - I am hoping its just a replacement front protection plate. Its in the garage on Wed anyway (for R46 update, fingers crossed) so will get them to check. Waiting to see what its going to cost me as its a Lease through work so not sure of the excess.
Lucky you were in an EV I reckon @NewMG4me!

I ran over " something" in the dark on the M4 about 25 years ago.
Overtaking a truck, lot's of spray, didn't have a chance to dodge it, as I was being overtaken also.
BANG!!!
About 10 seconds later the oil light came on just as I was coming to a stop on the hard shoulder.
Took a large chuck out of the front of the sump.
It was a hired van luckily?
Although I did lose my rather substantial excess!
I reckon I saved the engine by switching off as soon as I saw the light come on.
Many hours later...........I got home.

Thanks for this ! The garage looked at it yesterday and confirmed it just needs a new front undertray and a piece of trim for the front bumper - at a cost of £480.

I am waiting a response from the M6 toll complaints dept - I feel I may be waiting quite a while

Thanks for this ! The garage looked at it yesterday and confirmed it just needs a new front undertray and a piece of trim for the front bumper - at a cost of £480.

I am waiting a response from the M6 toll complaints dept - I feel I may be waiting quite a while

Bloody Hell! They might be selling the cars cheaply, but they are seemingly not shy in bumping up the profit for the spares.

Nearly £900 for discs and pads (in another post) even with fitting that seems extortionate for a "value" brand?
Nearly £500 for an undertray also smacks of profiteering IMO.

Bloody Hell! They might be selling the cars cheaply, but they are seemingly not shy in bumping up the profit for the spares.

Nearly £900 for discs and pads (in another post) even with fitting that seems extortionate for a "value" brand?
Nearly £500 for an undertray also smacks of profiteering IMO.
Yup but what can you do. No other options available.

I had discs and pads on my Merc for less than that, at a main dealer !

Agreed.

Have you looked at trying to get them direct from China?
I mean we get nearly everything else from there anyway!
Its a lease car / salary sacrifice. Leaseplan have to deal with it. I am still waiting for them to tell me what excess I need to pay (if any).

Edit - its £250 excess (n)

Last edited:
Quick update on this, there are a few other bits that need fixing - total repair cost is now £1028. Still awaiting Insurance approval.
M6 toll company refused to admit any liability, so I have given all correspondance to my insurer and they can go after them.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think you will be "urinating into the breeze" going after the Toll company m8.
Pretty sure they would be liable for fixtures, fittings, signs and gantrys, etc. But stuff falling from members of the travelling public vehicles......🤔

Well it’s a private road, which they are contracted to keep clear of any debris in the live carriageways.
But you are correct. They told me to go after whoever dropped it, I asked them to provide those details along with video evidence, they wouldn’t 🤣

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back