Outside temperature gone doolally.

I presume just sofware updates or ??? 😁😁

I've told him everything so far that I've done, so they can go straight to the software update if they choose.

Soft reset.
Factory reset.
Battery disconnect overnight.

I've asked that they take it out to verify the vibes if they need to

He was surprised my rear nearside window had never worked.
I told him I had fixed that with the disconnect and recalibration.
Sadly that didn't fix the rear camera issue.
That went back to just being blue.

We shall see.

A couple of things to try.
1) Try aiming a hair dryer or heat gun on the sensor, being careful not to melt the surrounding plastic, to see if the temperature on the dash moves (or freeze spray if you have any).
2) For a battery reset, someone mentioned disconnecting both leads and touching them together to discharge any capacitors.

Perfect position to get hit by a stone or some other debris and then damaged. Thumbs up to the engineers! :ROFLMAO:
Soo bloody true m8!

Any other temp sensor I have ever seen or worked on has always been behind the bumper or above a wheel well liner.

I've never seen one directly into the airflow before.

20240223_095424.jpg

So I took the hair-dryer to the outside sensor and put it on a high heat setting.

The reading is already 74 degrees before I've even switched it on!

It made zero difference to the reading.

I told the dealer that I suspected the sensor at the time of booking and he has ordered one in, so that for them,

A, They are in anticipation of a quick and easy fix and..

B, To facilitate their valued customer on his way with as little inconvenience as is humanly possible.

Have they balls!

I will get there next week, sit about for a couple of hours only to be told "It's the outside temperature sensor" and that will be six weeks before we can get one in.

I am having a software update, but having just seen the sensor tits up doubt whether that will make any difference to this particular issue.

Glass Half Empty.
Always has been with me.😵‍💫

Yes.
I have learnt my lesson and am glad to be back.
Thankyou for all the support during my incarceration.
You know who you are. 👍🍺

So I was booked into O C Davies (Carmarthen) Monday 4th, to investigate my temperature sensors erratic outside temperature reading.

Bear in mind,
that I had explained to the service manager what I had done so far....

Soft reset,
Factory reset,
Battery disconnect.

And hoped that they might just replace the sensor.

Nope.

2 hours later, my car was brought back around to the front of the dealership.

I had been upgraded to R46 as part of the visit, and as expected, this made zero difference to the main issue.

So I asked how they got on, only to be told they hadn't fixed it, but they do now think it's the temperature sensor at fault.

Oh, really.

Then I expected to be told I would have to wait weeks before I could go back in, but was pleasantly surprised to be booked in the following week with a loaner for the whole day. (15th March)

I thought they would have me wait weeks for a part despite being tiny and postable, but they caught me out again by agreeing with my suggestion that they could 'borrow' one from a car in stock.

I know that the tech was on the phone the whole time to MG and after a soft and factory reset, that didn't work, he pulled the Climate Control Fuse. (Dash cam)
(Another story for another time)

Same as a battery disconnect essentially and getting the same result.

Back in the office I was being told everything I already knew and was just nodding away.

The software update did not cure my blue rear camera picture, but it has been more on than off which is an improvement.

The best thing from R46 that I have noticed is that my gripe with the ACC has been sorted.
The closest following setting (one green bar) is now the equivalent of the third green bar previously.

Now making the third green bar the following distance I am more comfortable with.
(I hope that makes sense?)

There are a few tiny graphics tweeks I've noticed but the one sweep down LKA is not one of them.

I took out a ZSEV for two hours and will find a thread to add my thoughts to later.
(I really liked it)

Yes.
I have learnt my lesson and am glad to be back.
Thankyou for all the support during my incarceration.
You know who you are. 👍🍺

So I was booked into O C Davies (Carmarthen) Monday 4th, to investigate my temperature sensors erratic outside temperature reading.

Bear in mind,
that I had explained to the service manager what I had done so far....

Soft reset,
Factory reset,
Battery disconnect.

And hoped that they might just replace the sensor.

Nope.

2 hours later, my car was brought back around to the front of the dealership.

I had been upgraded to R46 as part of the visit, and as expected, this made zero difference to the main issue.

So I asked how they got on, only to be told they hadn't fixed it, but they do now think it's the temperature sensor at fault.

Oh, really.

Then I expected to be told I would have to wait weeks before I could go back in, but was pleasantly surprised to be booked in the following week with a loaner for the whole day. (15th March)

I thought they would have me wait weeks for a part despite being tiny and postable, but they caught me out again by agreeing with my suggestion that they could 'borrow' one from a car in stock.

I know that the tech was on the phone the whole time to MG and after a soft and factory reset, that didn't work, he pulled the Climate Control Fuse. (Dash cam)
(Another story for another time)

Same as a battery disconnect essentially and getting the same result.

Back in the office I was being told everything I already knew and was just nodding away.

The software update did not cure my blue rear camera picture, but it has been more on than off which is an improvement.

The best thing from R46 that I have noticed is that my gripe with the ACC has been sorted.
The closest following setting (one green bar) is now the equivalent of the third green bar previously.

Now making the third green bar the following distance I am more comfortable with.
(I hope that makes sense?)

There are a few tiny graphics tweeks I've noticed but the one sweep down LKA is not one of them.

I took out a ZSEV for two hours and will find a thread to add my thoughts to later.
(I really liked it)
Welcome Back. 🙂👍

Update from yesterday.

I emailed them, (O C Davies Carmarthen) 3 days ago to double check we were on for the repair and that the loan car would be ready.

They didn't reply so with one day to go,
I called service to confirm.

He hadn't seem my email! In fact he said he hadn't received it!
Baloney.

I phoned them to verbally check that the loan car would be available at 08:30 as agreed, as I had to attend the hospital at 09:15.

Arrived 08:31 and was pleasantly surprised to find a brand new liveried loan car waiting.

Had a brand new MG3 for most of the day.

The stereo was OK!

Umm, yeah, itchy chin, umm, that's about it I think.

Return at about 14:30 to collect my car.

Temperature sensor replaced, car now showing the correct outside temperature.
Probably.
Anyway, a damn site closer than it was reading previously.

A new rear camera has been ordered.

I was momentarily over the moon!

Less than 2 weeks from diagnosis to fix.

Would have been less if they had took my word for it, but I understand why they can't.

So back to being momentarily overjoyed to get my car back, until I opened the drivers door.

How they can think that that, is an acceptable way to go about things is beyond me.

I had cleaned the car the day before and Jet washed the rubber mats.

I managed to control myself (I know!) and we (wife and I) just left the premises.
It had already been a long and drawn out day and I just wanted to get home.

When the car was in last week, I heard things said on my dashcam I wish I hadn't, and this week my muddy mat.

Last week I told the service manager specifically that if the car was road tested to not interfere with my camera.

I'm keeping my powder dry for now, but will be messaging the MD when my camera is fixed.

On one hand, after all the stories I've read on here, the car was fixed quick enough for me to be happy.

On the other hand, furious with the way they treat their customers and their property.

Should I just get over it?

Am I expecting too much from an MG dealer having never bought an MG product before?

(And am unlikely to ever do so again)

Remember, still dealing with the vibes issue which is dragging on.

I know what I wanted to do, but that would have involved me having to eat my tea in a lonely locked room.

What would you do?

20240316_112242.jpg

20240316_122742.jpg

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member